Week in Santiago

TJVR

Jan 25, 2003
My 14-year old daughter and I just returned from a week in Santiago and the surrounding countryside. I was a former Peace Corps volunteer in this region 20 years ago, and reestablished contact with a family I knew at the time who live in the area known as El Higuerito, just south and east of Santiago. It amazed me how little things have changed over the years. Our hosts met us at the Santiago airport, which proved to be no problem getting through. We arrived on a Continental flight from Newark, and Customs in Santiago passed us through without looking at anything. Of course, there was the $10 pp tourist card. We stayed in the countryside in a small concrete house, roosters crowing most of the night, and rain sometimes coming through the tin roof, and rice & beans each day to eat, but none of this discouraged us from having a great time. It's all in your attitude. We brought a lot of stuff to distribute including baseball bats, balls, clothing, school and medical supplies, chocolate, etc. Everything we brought was very much appreciated and I know will be well used. We visited the local school and passed out a lot of pens and other supplies. The kids applauded which made the trip worthwhile. While in Santiago, we briefly paid a visit to Hillbilly at the PUCMM University. As described on this web site, he proved to be very helpful and a real gentleman. We had lunch one day at Ole's near the Parque Duarte. Clearly, I would not be afraid in visiting the countryside. The people continue to be the most affectionate and hospitable people I have ever met, despite their poor conditions. My daughter wanted to cry when we had to leave because she made some good friends of the locals. Now that we are back home, my younger daughter (age 12) wants to go, as does my wife.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Thanks!

TJVR said:
My 14-year old daughter and I just returned from a week in Santiago and the surrounding countryside. I was a former Peace Corps volunteer in this region 20 years ago, and reestablished contact with a family I knew at the time who live in the area known as El Higuerito, just south and east of Santiago. It amazed me how little things have changed over the years. Our hosts met us at the Santiago airport, which proved to be no problem getting through. We arrived on a Continental flight from Newark, and Customs in Santiago passed us through without looking at anything. Of course, there was the $10 pp tourist card. We stayed in the countryside in a small concrete house, roosters crowing most of the night, and rain sometimes coming through the tin roof, and rice & beans each day to eat, but none of this discouraged us from having a great time. It's all in your attitude. We brought a lot of stuff to distribute including baseball bats, balls, clothing, school and medical supplies, chocolate, etc. Everything we brought was very much appreciated and I know will be well used. We visited the local school and passed out a lot of pens and other supplies. The kids applauded which made the trip worthwhile. While in Santiago, we briefly paid a visit to Hillbilly at the PUCMM University. As described on this web site, he proved to be very helpful and a real gentleman. We had lunch one day at Ole's near the Parque Duarte. Clearly, I would not be afraid in visiting the countryside. The people continue to be the most affectionate and hospitable people I have ever met, despite their poor conditions. My daughter wanted to cry when we had to leave because she made some good friends of the locals. Now that we are back home, my younger daughter (age 12) wants to go, as does my wife.
Thanks for the nice post. The key word is 'it's all in the attitude" and you are so right.