Ididn't know What I was missing

nsanchez

Apr 27, 2004
Hi everyone,
This is my first post to this site but so bear with me please.
I was born in La Romana and brought to the US "unvoluntarily" by my mother when I was very young. She says she did it so we (me and my siblings) could have a better life. I went to college here, married a very well educated Jewish guy from NYC and as it appears have a perfect life. We travel to the Caribbean in the Winter, Europe in the Summer and I can pretty much have anything I want. I would also like to add that I'm considered to be very intelligent (graduated Valedictorian in H.S, and got 3.5 average when I got my Bachelor's in Finance). I'm also a one of those very lite-skinned Dominican that make people go: "well, you don't look Dominican", whatever that means.

So, what's my story; everytime I go to DR with my husband we stay at resorts like Casa De Campo, Bavaro, etc. so we don't really mingle with "the people". About two weeks ago, however, I took my best friend, Kim, on a long weekend to Santo Domingo and we stayed at a hotel in The Malecon.

What a difference! I got to see how Dominicans are and live and I loved every minute of it. Now that I'm back I'm so homesick, I feel like I left a part of me over there - doesn't that sound weird?- My friend feels the same way, and she is Anglo and this is her first time in The DR. We can't wait to go back.

The reason I'm posting here is that I would like to meet some people that feel the way I do, or people that live there to keep in touch with. I'm thinking about buying an apartment in Sto. Dgo. for when I go visit. What do you think about that idea? I would like to be within walking distance from The Malecon, but it doens't seem like there's much for sale in the Zona Gazcue/Cuidad Universitaria vicinity. One of my favorite "dining by the ocean restaurant" was Luis De La Parrillada and my favorite club was Trio @ Abraham Lincoln Ave.

I could go on and on, but I don't want to be rude with a superlong post.
Nellys

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
nsanchez said:
Hi everyone,
I was born in La Romana and brought to the US "unvoluntarily" by my mother when I was very young. She says she did it so we (me and my siblings) could have a better life. I went to college here, married a very well educated Jewish guy from NYC and as it appears have a perfect life. We travel to the Caribbean in the Winter, Europe in the Summer and I can pretty much have anything I want. I would also like to add that I'm considered to be very intelligent (graduated Valedictorian in H.S, and got 3.5 average when I got my Bachelor's in Finance). I'm also a one of those very lite-skinned Dominican that make people go: "well, you don't look Dominican", whatever that means.

So, what's my story; everytime I go to DR with my husband we stay at resorts like Casa De Campo, Bavaro, etc. so we don't really mingle with "the people". About two weeks ago, however, I took my best friend, Kim, on a long weekend to Santo Domingo and we stayed at a hotel in The Malecon.

What a difference! I got to see how Dominicans are and live and I loved every minute of it. Now that I'm back I'm so homesick, I feel like I left a part of me over there - doesn't that sound weird?- My friend feels the same way, and she is Anglo and this is her first time in The DR. We can't wait to go back.

The reason I'm posting here is that I would like to meet some people that feel the way I do, or people that live there to keep in touch with. I'm thinking about buying an apartment in Sto. Dgo. for when I go visit. What do you think about that idea? I would like to be within walking distance from The Malecon, but it doens't seem like there's much for sale in the Zona Gazcue/Cuidad Universitaria vicinity. One of my favorite "dining by the ocean restaurant" was Luis De La Parrillada and my favorite club was Trio @ Abraham Lincoln Ave.

Nellys

Glad you enjoyed your visit. Lots of us live here, some of us even work as well :)

Plenty of places for sale, take a look at http://www.supercasas.com
It's a buyers market in Santo Domingo right now if you have US$.

Take your time, ask around and use lots of due diligence!
Visting is one thing, owning and living is a very different story.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Good morning Nellys,

Welcome to the group! I first came to the DR in 1982 and I like you, felt has if a part of me was left on the DR soil every time I would take the plane back home. I came on many holidays and tears would pour down every time I would touch Dominican ground. I?m Canadian, so it doesn?t even have to do with my roots, but the culture, the way of life and its people will go straight to your hearth! My last trip was 10 years ago when I came for 2 months and never went back home. Now I take my holidays in Canada (when the snow is off the ground of course), and have made Santo Domingo my home. I love the city because you still can find part of the life you would have back home and you?re only 40 minutes from the beach. I was in Gazcue for 4 years and its one of the best neighborhoods, and of course, close to the Malecon! Did you try the ?Mofongo?at Luis Parrillada?mmm?delicious! Wish you luck!

If you want to get the feel of some other bars go to www.uepa.com :)

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
nsanchez

I was just like you and decided to take the jump ("me tir?) to DR in 1993 and never looked back. Things are much harder now because we are going thru the cycle of having the PRD government back, and everytime they govern the country goes sour. But I hope we will get rid of the bastards.

I truly encourage you to buy real estate here. It is still very cheap considering DR is now a very "in" country and we are developing into a very attractive place to live in spite of our problems. I suggest you buy in areas like Piantini, Naco, Bella Vista, Los Cacicazgos, El Vergel, La Esperilla, Arroyo Hondo(near Diamond Mall) and like you mentioned Gazcue. For the adventurous and heavy wallet try Malecon Center at prices over US$450,000. Some people who love the old world are venturing into buying in the Colonial Zone. This area has lots of charm, but you must have extra cash for repairs and remodeling inside. The drawback there is that most housing lack parking. On the other hand, if you live there, why need a car?

Gazcue offerings are hard to come by. I have one of my places, a two month old 2900 sq.ft. duplex floor apartment with wooded stairway for sale in the best of Gazcue, 3br.,3 baths, jacuzzi, large white italian ceramic floor, 25 ft. ceilings with wood beams(LR and DR) the rest of the ceiling are crafted with plaster of Paris, lots of glass and sea view all around, maids quarters and a 2-car private garage with electric gate, two balconies(one has 18 ft. glass with sliding doors the other has 9ft. high) and kitchen with 28 mahogany cabinets, new late model color keyed refrigerator and steel door oven. All doors are thick mahogany and baths are ceramic up to the ceiling.all for US$120,000. Most places in Gazcue will exceed US$70,000, which is rather cheap for a big city like this. Gazcue has something other neighborhoods don't have...lots of trees, shade and seawind.

If your price is not in this neighborhood, I can always let you know of other things if they come up. I am not a real estate agent. My suggestions are free and I will not correspond via e-mail. All my suggestions are open to everyone in DR1. Otherwise, check the classifieds in Listin Diario, El Nacional and Hoy Newspapers. Listin Diario includes every Monday a supplement from Remax which gives you the best idea of how the market is going in DR. Most Dominicans who buy in DR are concentrating in the oriental zone of Santo Domingo, because of the cheaper prices. Another busy area is the neighborhood around Carrefour. But I do not like either area. I prefer the areas I mentioned above due to their high resale value and the ample availability of customers when you sell, besides living side by side with the rich and famous.
TW

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Yes I have to agree the DR is endearing, even with all its limitations and backwardness. I left there at 12 years old, but went back for vacations and holidays up until the time I married and started my family in NY. After the kids got older I started going back home on a regular basis and have rediscovered the DR, not to the degree you experimented Nellys, I always have to stay with the same group of people, and my family needs to know where i am every day, so going off alone with a girlfriend, as exciting as that may be, it's not in the cards for me, but I still enjoy the DR immensely; and needless to say, I am quite happy with the people I surround myself with, so no regrets on that score. I do share that feeling of leaving something behind each and everytime I return home. It's like the DR is beckoning me, it takes me a few days to get back on track. It is a complete mystery to me why some people don't feel like we do. My sisters can't wait to leave after two weeks vacation down there. They do not share in this wonderful feeling of "dominicanidad" we all have. What a pity, it's their loss.

nsanchez said:
Hi everyone,

Nellys

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
just be aware

Remember that one thing is to come for vacation, especially to first-class places like Casa de Campo, Bavaro and even the ocean-front hotels in Santo Domingo and another to live here and deal with the day-to-day problems such as power outages, water supply problems, lack of organization and order in the whole running of the country (especially now with the lousy PRD government which has been a huge step backwards and will take some time to get over, if and when we can get rid of them!). However, I would not want to discourage you especially if you have strong feelings about becoming more involved in the DR. I lived in the States and Europe for over 30 years and have been back for 8 and would not have it any other way, in spite of all the problems, since I believe I have gained more in my overall lifestyle by living here versus the more 'civilized' world. Best of Luck!

Apr 26, 2002
Not too much written here about La Capital. It's hot, congested, polluted and rough around the edges - not very attractive to the all-inclusive and condo sets.

But if you're into culture and like cities - particularly cities with a real history and sense of place - then Sto Dgo is the best place in the country. As a cosmopolitan center, it is without compare in the DR and in the Caribbean.

I highly recommend you check out the Zona Colonial and Ciudad Nueva sections if you have not already.

nsanchez

Apr 27, 2004
Robert said:
Glad you enjoyed your visit. Lots of us live here, some of us even work as well :)

Plenty of places for sale, take a look at http://www.supercasas.com
It's a buyers market in Santo Domingo right now if you have US$.

Take your time, ask around and use lots of due diligence!
Visting is one thing, owning and living is a very different story.
Thanks for the info. I checked the website and it was great!. I would to live in the DR, but for now all I can hope for is to buy a small property to stay connected over there. Eventually, I'm moving for sure. I couldn't even imagine what kind of job I could do in the DR. It is like all my education is only good here in the US. My work experience is in Budgeting and Financial Analysis for major corporations and the rules that apply here might be totally different over there.
What do you do for a living? Did you go to school in the US?
Thanks again

nsanchez

Apr 27, 2004
frank alvarez said:
Remember that one thing is to come for vacation, especially to first-class places like Casa de Campo, Bavaro and even the ocean-front hotels in Santo Domingo and another to live here and deal with the day-to-day problems such as power outages, water supply problems, lack of organization and order in the whole running of the country (especially now with the lousy PRD government which has been a huge step backwards and will take some time to get over, if and when we can get rid of them!). However, I would not want to discourage you especially if you have strong feelings about becoming more involved in the DR. I lived in the States and Europe for over 30 years and have been back for 8 and would not have it any other way, in spite of all the problems, since I believe I have gained more in my overall lifestyle by living here versus the more 'civilized' world. Best of Luck!

Hi frank,
I totally agree on the difference btwn vacationing there and actually living there. I believe there are ways around the pwer outtages/utilities mess thing. As for the political situation, lets hope it changes on May 16th. The same stuff was going on when I was little girl living there, not much has changed in terms of that. As someone who's been in several continents yourself you must agree the DR is a pretty especial place otherwise you wouldn't be living there.
Thanks for candid and encouraging words
Nellys

nsanchez

Apr 27, 2004
juanita said:
Good morning Nellys,

Welcome to the group! I first came to the DR in 1982 and I like you, felt has if a part of me was left on the DR soil every time I would take the plane back home. I came on many holidays and tears would pour down every time I would touch Dominican ground. I?m Canadian, so it doesn?t even have to do with my roots, but the culture, the way of life and its people will go straight to your hearth! My last trip was 10 years ago when I came for 2 months and never went back home. Now I take my holidays in Canada (when the snow is off the ground of course), and have made Santo Domingo my home. I love the city because you still can find part of the life you would have back home and you?re only 40 minutes from the beach. I was in Gazcue for 4 years and its one of the best neighborhoods, and of course, close to the Malecon! Did you try the ?Mofongo?at Luis Parrillada?mmm?delicious! Wish you luck!

If you want to get the feel of some other bars go to www.uepa.com :)

Hi juanita,
I love your story. Do you know how many people wish they could do what you did? Just go and never leave, you must be very brave. I did try the "Mofongo", unfortunately, he has about 5 different kinds on the menu and I didn't have time to try them all. Loved it!
Thanks for the website info, it's in my list of favorites now.
Do you still live in Sto. Dgo.? I think I'm going back in July with my husband, I would love to meet you if that's ok with you. We'll probably stay at The Jaragua on The Malecon.
Thanks
Nellys

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Hola,

These are the kind of stories that I love to read and enjoy. Maintaining your roots is important especially when you leave your country (the DR or any other) it's so easy to "disconnect" and forget to stay in touch. I agree that "la RD es magica y mistica pero no todo el pais". I must admit I am a "Sto. Domingo" person myself although I need to do some more travelling in the DR. But I understand what you are trying to describe. I did some translations studies in Sto.Domingo between 1997-2000 and I must say the DR as a country gives a person a nostalgic feeling.

My suggestion is that before you make a purchase continue to do some exploring. What I mean is you know you like the capital but try to find out more of the pros and cons because living in the DR and visting the DR "son dos cosas distintas". I know there are ways around the day to day gripes but you have to ask yourself- "Do you like light", "Do like water", "Do you like convenience" because these are factors that are not guaranteed all the time and you are used to them. "Do you like good customer service" because that is not priority in the DR. I could go on forever but I am sure what's luring you back are the cultural factors, the simplicity of people's lives (most of time) and as you mentioned the DR is in you. I say: "si te hace sentir feliz por que no. La vida es muy corta". But do your homework before buying all investments should be made carefully. I think Sto. Domingo offers the most diversity and if that's what you are looking for you have some options. I like "el area del malecon" too, la Zona Colonial (but the housing is too old), Mirador (they are some nice houses there). You should investigate where all the new housing is being build outside of Sto. Domingo proper.

Anyway just wanted to support you and I think you should go with what you feel is best.

Chao,

LDG

nsanchez said:
Hi everyone,

Nellys

nsanchez

Apr 27, 2004
Golo100 said:
I was just like you and decided to take the jump ("me tir?) to DR in 1993 and never looked back. Things are much harder now because we are going thru the cycle of having the PRD government back, and everytime they govern the country goes sour. But I hope we will get rid of the bastards.

I truly encourage you to buy real estate here. It is still very cheap considering DR is now a very "in" country and we are developing into a very attractive place to live in spite of our problems. I suggest you buy in areas like Piantini, Naco, Bella Vista, Los Cacicazgos, El Vergel, La Esperilla, Arroyo Hondo(near Diamond Mall) and like you mentioned Gazcue. For the adventurous and heavy wallet try Malecon Center at prices over US$450,000. Some people who love the old world are venturing into buying in the Colonial Zone. This area has lots of charm, but you must have extra cash for repairs and remodeling inside. The drawback there is that most housing lack parking. On the other hand, if you live there, why need a car?

Gazcue offerings are hard to come by. I have one of my places, a two month old 2900 sq.ft. duplex floor apartment with wooded stairway for sale in the best of Gazcue, 3br.,3 baths, jacuzzi, large white italian ceramic floor, 25 ft. ceilings with wood beams(LR and DR) the rest of the ceiling are crafted with plaster of Paris, lots of glass and sea view all around, maids quarters and a 2-car private garage with electric gate, two balconies(one has 18 ft. glass with sliding doors the other has 9ft. high) and kitchen with 28 mahogany cabinets, new late model color keyed refrigerator and steel door oven. All doors are thick mahogany and baths are ceramic up to the ceiling.all for US$120,000. Most places in Gazcue will exceed US$70,000, which is rather cheap for a big city like this. Gazcue has something other neighborhoods don't have...lots of trees, shade and seawind.

If your price is not in this neighborhood, I can always let you know of other things if they come up. I am not a real estate agent. My suggestions are free and I will not correspond via e-mail. All my suggestions are open to everyone in DR1. Otherwise, check the classifieds in Listin Diario, El Nacional and Hoy Newspapers. Listin Diario includes every Monday a supplement from Remax which gives you the best idea of how the market is going in DR. Most Dominicans who buy in DR are concentrating in the oriental zone of Santo Domingo, because of the cheaper prices. Another busy area is the neighborhood around Carrefour. But I do not like either area. I prefer the areas I mentioned above due to their high resale value and the ample availability of customers when you sell, besides living side by side with the rich and famous.
TW

Hi TW,
Te tiraste pa' lla....que chevere! (Do people still say "chevere"?, they used to when I lived there) All of your info about the neighborhoods was priceless, thank you so much. The description of your duplex sounded so luxurious, I can just picture it... I think it might be a little bit much for us right now,though. My husband and I are still very far away from the age where we can quit work and retire to a place like that. We're planning to go to the DR on July, and if it still available, I would love to see it. But let me ask you this, If we were to buy a place like yours, what would we do with it when we're not there, which will be most of the time? Do people buy properties over there and rent them until they're ready to cash in their assets here and move there?
I agree with you about the nice shade and seawind in Gazcue. The proximity to everything that's "happening " is another plus. My husband and I like to be within walking distance of what's going on.
I would really appreciate your help since it seems that most of the info found in the forum is about properties up North or near resort type communities. We like cities, and Santo Domingo is beautiful and has a lot to offer.
Thanks for your help, and please, let me know your thoughts about my questions.
Nellys

nsanchez

Apr 27, 2004
Lesley D said:
Hola,

These are the kind of stories that I love to read and enjoy. Maintaining your roots is important especially when you leave your country (the DR or any other) it's so easy to "disconnect" and forget to stay in touch. I agree that "la RD es magica y mistica pero no todo el pais". I must admit I am a "Sto. Domingo" person myself although I need to do some more travelling in the DR. But I understand what you are trying to describe. I did some translations studies in Sto.Domingo between 1997-2000 and I must say the DR as a country gives a person a nostalgic feeling.

My suggestion is that before you make a purchase continue to do some exploring. What I mean is you know you like the capital but try to find out more of the pros and cons because living in the DR and visting the DR "son dos cosas distintas". I know there are ways around the day to day gripes but you have to ask yourself- "Do you like light", "Do like water", "Do you like convenience" because these are factors that are not guaranteed all the time and you are used to them. "Do you like good customer service" because that is not priority in the DR. I could go on forever but I am sure what's luring you back are the cultural factors, the simplicity of people's lives (most of time) and as you mentioned the DR is in you. I say: "si te hace sentir feliz por que no. La vida es muy corta". But do your homework before buying all investments should be made carefully. I think Sto. Domingo offers the most diversity and if that's what you are looking for you have some options. I like "el area del malecon" too, la Zona Colonial (but the housing is too old), Mirador (they are some nice houses there). You should investigate where all the new housing is being build outside of Sto. Domingo proper.

Anyway just wanted to support you and I think you should go with what you feel is best.

Chao,

LDG

Hi Lesley,
You're so insightful, and I know exactly what you're saying. I must admit that I'm not willing to give up all the comforts that I have become accustomed to and have come to take for granted. And why should I? For most of my adult life I have endured freezing tempreatures for at least 5 moths out of the year, I only get to see my family during major holidays beacuse we're all spread out all over US. My mother is in Philadelphia, I'm in Texas, one sister in NYC and the other in Florida, lots of family all over the country in the DR. Here we all have this "very responsible" (read: take over your lives job) where we can only be out 2 or 3 weeks out of the year, but not consecutively. It is so hard to get that family/friends/neighbors feeling over here. My friends and I have to schedule our get-togethers weeks in advance and hope they don't get postponed due to job responsibilities. My husband travels for his job about 80% of the time, that means he's usually gone Monday - Friday about 40 weeks out of the year. On the positive side, he's racked up a 'gazillion' frequent flyer miles that allowas us to fly anywhere for free.
I plan to spend the last half of my life, hopefully, in the DR. I do, however, plan to do it well. I think I've paid my dues by enduring coldness, isolation, and even loneliness here in the US. The lifestyle of young professionals that want to get ahead is designed that way.
I'm here venting to you because for some reason I think you would understand, it was your "la vida es muy corta" comment that made me feel that way.
Nellys

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Hola Nellys!
I often lie by the pool at the Jaragua, on weekends, so yes, of course we could hook up! Just let me know when you land!

nsanchez said:
Hi juanita,
I love your story. Do you know how many people wish they could do what you did? Just go and never leave, you must be very brave. I did try the "Mofongo", unfortunately, he has about 5 different kinds on the menu and I didn't have time to try them all. Loved it!
Thanks for the website info, it's in my list of favorites now.
Do you still live in Sto. Dgo.? I think I'm going back in July with my husband, I would love to meet you if that's ok with you. We'll probably stay at The Jaragua on The Malecon.
Thanks
Nellys

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Nellys,

Lo diste en el clavo. Te entiendo perfectamente. Your words are so true. Life in North America (I mean Canada and the US only) does not allow for many of the other pleasures that we MUST have in order to feel complete. Unfortunately many of us are caught in the "work to until you drop" syndrome because the demands of our job forces us to as well as wanting to maintain a certain standard of living. But even the basics these days have a high price tag. So what other alternative does one have? But I always tell myself the same way you know to schedule your priorities, work, family, appointments, etc. Schedule your vacation and take it! You mentioned you have 2 or 3 weeks per year for vacation which should be to relax and have time for yourself. ?Eso no es nada seg?n yo! Para relajarse completamente uno necesita mucho m?s tiempo. I think that it's great that you have the DR in your long term plans. Really there's no rush but what you have to you do is keep going back frequently and every time you go you will discover new pros and cons so there will be no surprises when your ready to make the DR your home again. Estoy muy contenta por ti. Realmente tus deseos me hacen sentir feliz. Like you said you paid your dues ie. the cold, loneliness, ups and down etc. and if happiness awaits you in the DR. Go or it. You waited this long so don't give up now. I know so many people who are building homes in Sto. Domingo and Altos de Chav?n and I hope to get my turn too but I have to wait. Eso me lo s?. Anyway I hope to talk you to more on the board or I would like to get your email address for off the board conversation. Please send me a private mail if you wish I would love to chat with you.

Chao,

LDG

nsanchez said:
Hi Lesley,
You're so insightful, and I know exactly what you're saying. I must admit that I'm not willing to give up all the comforts that I have become accustomed to and have come to take for granted. And why should I? For most of my adult life I have endured freezing tempreatures for at least 5 moths out of the year, I only get to see my family during major holidays beacuse we're all spread out all over US. My mother is in Philadelphia, I'm in Texas, one sister in NYC and the other in Florida, lots of family all over the country in the DR. Here we all have this "very responsible" (read: take over your lives job) where we can only be out 2 or 3 weeks out of the year, but not consecutively. It is so hard to get that family/friends/neighbors feeling over here. My friends and I have to schedule our get-togethers weeks in advance and hope they don't get postponed due to job responsibilities. My husband travels for his job about 80% of the time, that means he's usually gone Monday - Friday about 40 weeks out of the year. On the positive side, he's racked up a 'gazillion' frequent flyer miles that allowas us to fly anywhere for free.
I plan to spend the last half of my life, hopefully, in the DR. I do, however, plan to do it well. I think I've paid my dues by enduring coldness, isolation, and even loneliness here in the US. The lifestyle of young professionals that want to get ahead is designed that way.
I'm here venting to you because for some reason I think you would understand, it was your "la vida es muy corta" comment that made me feel that way.
Nellys