reservation recs

dulcinea27

Apr 27, 2004
Hi-I am going to the DR in about a month. I'm not exactly sure of my schedule but I'm planning on spending the last day (a Saturday) in Boca Chica. Do you think it is necessary to make reservations or might I be able to find a hotel by just dropping by? I kind of like to have the freedom to change my schedule if I want to. Any suggestions on that and also on your favorite place in Boca Chica for authentic DR cuisine?

nycVu

Mar 30, 2004
dulcinea27 said:
Hi-I am going to the DR in about a month. I'm not exactly sure of my schedule but I'm planning on spending the last day (a Saturday) in Boca Chica. Do you think it is necessary to make reservations or might I be able to find a hotel by just dropping by? I kind of like to have the freedom to change my schedule if I want to. Any suggestions on that and also on your favorite place in Boca Chica for authentic DR cuisine?

I'd recommend you first check out www.bocachicabeach.net for a list of hotels/maps/restaurants, etc. I personally like the Hotel Zapata (www.hotelzapata.com) 'cause it's clean, cheap and right on the beach!!

I ate at Neptunes (next to the Coral Hamaca) and it was very good. Italy Italy on Calle Duarte was great as well. From what I'm told, it's really hard to get a bad meal in Boca Chica and from my first 8-day stay in BC, I tend to agree... :cool:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Make a Reservation

dulcinea27 said:

If AA has cheapo fares from JFK or MIA you can get a lot of weekenders arriving in droves even off season like now and I would not say you are assured of a good room on a Saturday . Go to the recommended site and reserve. But, if the Europa still wants a Western Union deposit screw 'em that's unreasonable for a reservation hold in BC. Otherwise it is a popular hotel, as is the Costallunga, Zapata, El dandil, and the Ai's for one night would not bankrupt you - Hamaca, Don Juan etc..

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
It's Not THAT Hard

nycVu said:
From what I'm told, it's really hard to get a bad meal in Boca Chica and from my first 8-day stay in BC, I tend to agree... :cool:

There are enough terrible restaurants in Boca Chica trust me.

dulcinea27

Apr 27, 2004
Thanks for the advice. I guess we'll make a reservation. I had been thinking about Zapata so it's good to hear two people recommend it. I can't wait! I get to be there for two weeks! :D

nycVu

Mar 30, 2004
ricktoronto said:
There are enough terrible restaurants in Boca Chica trust me.

Not trying to dwell on the negative or anything, but... I only had one truly "not so great" meal at that "swanky" Italian restaurant in the Hamaca. No other culinary complaints from the NYer...:speechles

34 Diaz y ...er, uh... countiento?... :confused:

:cool:

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
dulcinea27 said:
Any suggestions on that and also on your favorite place in Boca Chica for authentic DR cuisine?

Just got back from another trip to the DR - nearly a month this time - and spent about 10 days in or near Boca Chica. For authentic Dominican cuisine, it is hard to beat the little blue restaurant on Calle Duarte just east of the Europa Hotel. Not sure, but I believe its name is Boca Rincon. The food is very good and inexpensive - less than $3 for a typical meal (Cerdo Guisado con Arroz y Habichuelas).

For finer dining, I've had very good luck at Da Nancy (at the easternmost end of Calle Duarte, tucked in the shadow of the Hamaca). The Fettucini with Lobster is especially good. Also the Boca Marina (Grilled Chicken Breast with Bleu Cheese Sauce) and the Pelicano (Paella for two) are also favorites. They are located on the beachfront on either side of Neptuno's, just east of the Hamaca.

We stayed at the Zapata for 2 days and the experience left a bad taste in my mouth. The reservation and deposit process sucked, had to send deposit to some company in Canada! That got screwed up. Then they nearly doubled the price on one of the rooms I booked (I paid for 2 rooms plus an apartment) and claimed that they had emailed me about the extra cost. Nope. We also were notified not to flush toilet paper but to put it in the waste basket. Geez! I stayed in 5 different hotels on this trip and the Zapata was the most expensive and least comfortable of all. Only advantage was its location on the beach.

The Costalunga still remains my favorite "off the beach" hotel in Boca Chica. They do things right. Priced reasonably, great staff, and rooms are very comfortable. The Europa is good too, but noisier due to its proximity to the all night street parties on Calle Duarte. :)

Swede