Cost of Living

Rikoliano

Oct 24, 2003
When I went to DR to visit. I remember things being pretty cheap. But when i try to find the cost of things online they say outrages prices. I was wondering if anyone could let me know the cost of living in DR as far as everyday items are concerned compared to american prices and american money. I am asking because i am marrie to a Dominican woman and she just graduated from college and i would like to surprise her by taking her home, but i would like to know how much money i would need to enjoy ourselves for a week and i don't want to asked her becasue then it wont be a surprise.
Thanks for your help.

Festero

Dec 15, 2002
Enjoy what?

Rikoliano said:
but i would like to know how much money i would need to enjoy ourselves for a week
Thanks for your help.

Define that.

You must know what airfare costs? Where do you want to stay? Rent a car?

If you stay with her family, take moto conchos and an occasional taxi as a splurge, go to local discos at night, eat at her family's homes and the occasional local restaurant, I price your vacation (if you're a moderate drinker), not including airfare at $322.50 US. (This is on the high side, but it includes vacation extravagance spending mentality.)

If you have another type of vacation in mind, then please reveal the details.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
cost

Rikoliano
Let the people on the board know what area you wife is from. What kind of activies you are into. My last trip down in December other than hotel and plan fare I spent $20 a day on eating and drinking and had a wonderful time. I ate at the Dominican Cafaterias and drank Elpresedentes and played Dominos.
If you are comeing down for a visit it wont be that expensive if you are comeing down to vacation your butt off it can cost.
After hotel and airfare $500 for a week would be a rich amount to just visit and a little traveling. Travel like the locals and you will have a much more wonderful time and it will cost you little.
The better the spanish spoken the more fun you can have.
John

Last edited:

nsanchez

Apr 27, 2004
Rikoliano said:
When I went to DR to visit. I remember things being pretty cheap. But when i try to find the cost of things online they say outrages prices. I was wondering if anyone could let me know the cost of living in DR as far as everyday items are concerned compared to american prices and american money. I am asking because i am marrie to a Dominican woman and she just graduated from college and i would like to surprise her by taking her home, but i would like to know how much money i would need to enjoy ourselves for a week and i don't want to asked her becasue then it wont be a surprise.
Thanks for your help.
Rikoliano,
I just came back from Santo Domingo and I guess I would have to say it all depends on where she's from like the other person said. We stayed at The Sol Melia Hotel at The Malecon, but we paid for our hotel and airfare bfr we got there. We took taxis to go to clubs at night but walked everywhere during the day. Drinks were extremely cheap compare to the US, about $2.00 US dollars per drink, and for what I understand we were in the "expensive" part of town. A nice Lunch like Sancocho with rice was about $4.00 US per entre and dinner about $6.00. We usually went to places where we could sit by the ocean. We could've paid half that for the same food at other places. The taxis are a little tricky. Try to ask how much to where you're going bfr you get in, and if it sounds too high don't get in. We had a great time for hardly any money.

Have Fun