Replacing Cedula and Residency Carnet

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
A pickpocket lifted by wife'w wallet from her purse on the Conde this afternoon. Little of value, except her cedula and residency card. If anyone has had the experience, what is the procedure for getting replacements?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Sorry to hear about that, Ken. It happened to me too, about a year ago. The worst bit is going to the police to report the loss. If you are in the capital it is in that place behind the main police station on Av. Mexico. Chaotic to say the least. You make your report and pick up the certificate later in the day or the next day, depending on what time you made the initial report. Then you go to the JCE where they issue your replacement Cedula. Not sure about the residency card, I was in the process of getting my permanent residency so I just waited until I was issued the new one.

Hope this is helpful.

Chiri

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Chirimoya is correct: first obtain the Police report on the theft (get two originals since you will have to file one for each lost document) then go with the report to the appropriate authorities (JCE and Immigration Department) to obtain your replacements. You will have to pay a small fee at Immigration.

JAMIE

Jun 10, 2002
Any difference?

Can anyone explain the difference between "Cedula" and "Residency Card"?
tks.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The cedula is a personal identification card. All Dominicans and legal residents have one. It is good for 5 years, then must be renewed. But you always have the same number. The residency card is given you when you are a legal resident. It is good for two years, then must be renewed. The number on it is the same number that is on your cedula.

Of the two cards, the cedula is the more important. Whenever you are asked for identification, the cedula is what they want to see.

JAMIE

Jun 10, 2002
Ken said:
The cedula is a personal identification card. All Dominicans and legal residents have one. It is good for 5 years, then must be renewed. But you always have the same number. The residency card is given you when you are a legal resident. It is good for two years, then must be renewed. The number on it is the same number that is on your cedula.

Of the two cards, the cedula is the more important. Whenever you are asked for identification, the cedula is what they want to see.

Ken:

Tks for the explanation.

Jamie

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
You may have problems getting anything done for the next month or so. Everyone is "busy" with the forthcoming elections. Maybe make some phone calls before going to STO. DGO.