Damned Peskie Froggies

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
It would appear that around a million tree frogs, each with it's own megaphone have moved into our garden. We thought the noise was "quaint" when we first arrived but, having not slept for a month because of the bloody noise we're ready to take drastic action!

We would like to ask them politely, but firmly to leave. To be honest, the constant night time orgy is starting to get on my t*ts! Suggestions of sub-machine guns although welcome are not particularly helpful.

I have found that a very bright torch shone into the tree shuts them up, but it's attracting low flying aircraft and a million other critters. It also doesn't cure the fact that I can't sleep because I'm up all night flashing the torch on and off. I've considered cornering a few tree snakes and bringing them to the party but I think there would probably be a Dog V's Snake confrontation and apparently both sides have a nasty bite.

So, suggestions please. Someone, somewhere must know what to do - in all seriousness this is quite a pain in the ar*e.

Thanks

S&N

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Pray for dry weather

Seriously, the drier it gets the quieter your frogs will become. They sing when it is wet, because they love the damp & are voicing appreciation! If your torch works, does it require you to operate it? Could you try installing an outside light?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Simon & Nicky said:
It would appear that around a million tree frogs, each with it's own megaphone have moved into our garden. We thought the noise was "quaint" when we first arrived but, having not slept for a month because of the bloody noise we're ready to take drastic action!

We would like to ask them politely, but firmly to leave. To be honest, the constant night time orgy is starting to get on my t*ts! Suggestions of sub-machine guns although welcome are not particularly helpful.

I have found that a very bright torch shone into the tree shuts them up, but it's attracting low flying aircraft and a million other critters. It also doesn't cure the fact that I can't sleep because I'm up all night flashing the torch on and off. I've considered cornering a few tree snakes and bringing them to the party but I think there would probably be a Dog V's Snake confrontation and apparently both sides have a nasty bite.

So, suggestions please. Someone, somewhere must know what to do - in all seriousness this is quite a pain in the ar*e.

Thanks

S&N

Just wondering what "Tree" frogs legs taste like?
Yea I know LIKE WOOD

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Please Help Me!

Another sleepless night although the party broke up early tonight (around 2.00am). Thanks for the frogs legs suggestion (not) - Have you tried to catch one? They can leap over the pool in one single hop (and I'm talking lengthways)! These froggies are fast (and I think they stick themselves to you too). But I'm not too keen to find out.

To be honest, I'm not a big frog fan and I've heard talk that some frogs are poisonous. I've not been here long enough to be able to tell the difference yet.

More help please - I'm begging

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I had 2 frogs that kept getting in my room in the pension I was living in. They were huge. I was scared to death, and often phoned my now-husband to come and get them out or sleep with me so that I could rest. I phoned him at like 3 in the morning, so I'm sure he wasn't pleased about it, but him telling me on the phone, "Pero, es solamente un marco, Trina..." just didn't cut it...I hated them. One night, they were both on my bathroom wall, which was right next to my bedroom...I hardly slept all night, and when I did fall asleep, that's all I could dream about...I know what you're going through...

Mark1

Mar 17, 2004
Simon & Nicky said:
Another sleepless night although the party broke up early tonight (around 2.00am). Thanks for the frogs legs suggestion (not) - Have you tried to catch one? They can leap over the pool in one single hop (and I'm talking lengthways)! These froggies are fast (and I think they stick themselves to you too). But I'm not too keen to find out.

To be honest, I'm not a big frog fan and I've heard talk that some frogs are poisonous. I've not been here long enough to be able to tell the difference yet.

More help please - I'm begging

just don't lick their back.... :speechles
hey I'm curious , are we talking about "normal" frogs? I'v never seen a frog on a tree :surprised

Mark1

Mar 17, 2004
Mark1 said:
just don't lick their back.... :speechles
hey I'm curious , are we talking about "normal" frogs? I'v never seen a frog on a tree :surprised

Oh I googled and now I know what a tree frog is.
hehe I've read they can be very big and noisy, they re cute though...to me

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Cute????

Spend a night in their company and you'll soon change your mind. Cute in not an option! Kinda like a night with a girl who snores like a damned fog horn. I met one of those once too. Difference is that in the morning I told her to leave!

Simon

GlowWorm

Nov 18, 2003
Try this...

Hang wet bathing trunks with nylon mesh pockets outside and half of the frogs will be in the pockets the next morning.

I discovered this by accident at our house in Sosua. Unfortunately, I didn't know they were in my pockets until I put the trunks on. Frog pi** went everywhere! I thought I had ruptured my bladder!

Seriously, try placing a lamp outside on a timer (available at most ferreterias) that has multiple settings. The frogs become used to a steady light and will continue to croak but they tend to quiet down when the light goes on or off.

Glow

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
A solution?

trina said:
I had 2 frogs that kept getting in my room in the pension I was living in. They were huge. I was scared to death, and often phoned my now-husband to come and get them out or sleep with me so that I could rest. I phoned him at like 3 in the morning, so I'm sure he wasn't pleased about it, but him telling me on the phone, "Pero, es solamente un marco, Trina..." just didn't cut it...I hated them. One night, they were both on my bathroom wall, which was right next to my bedroom...I hardly slept all night, and when I did fall asleep, that's all I could dream about...I know what you're going through...

I suspect that I may be opening myself up to serious critisism (sp?), but here goes. I use Baygon for everything!. I spray spiders, ginkos and frogs! It works.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Be thankful you have them and learn to live with them

Tree frogs are magnificent mosquito eaters.

You could get some tree snakes, but then you would have to find a Dominican that is not scared to death of the snake.

They are most certainly not poisonous, nor do they cause warts.

Please just try and get used to their seranade. In Puerto Rico there are little frogs called Coqu?s that are the national symbol of Puerto Rico..and they are noisy..

ahhh the tropics....

HB

NOTE: Anyone who uses Bygone on a lizard/gecko or frog should be shot at dawn for being so stupid. These are nature's cleaning machines. Cockroaches, mosquitos and other little nasties are their food...

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Mountainfrog thanks HB

I am pleased to learn that there are frog lovers out there.
No, I am not thinking about the French who?d like to dip my thighs into some spicy sauce but the true friends like HB who appreciate my hunt on mosquitos and my nocturnal
concerts.

Frog

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Frog lovers

mountainfrog said:
I am pleased to learn that there are frog lovers out there.
No, I am not thinking about the French who?d like to dip my thighs into some spicy sauce but the true friends like HB who appreciate my hunt on mosquitos and my nocturnal
concerts.

Frog

I am sure that Simon & Nicky love frogs and other animals, just as much as any other average person, but if you knew the magnitude of their problem sleeping at night with all the racket these tree frogs make, you would be looking for any and all solutions as well.
When these frogs get into sisterns, toilet bowls or pipes, they megaphone out a sound that will yank the hardiest sleepers right out of their beds.
What is needed here is a true scientific solution for getting these frogs to move to another location.
Marco.

Rocky said:
I am sure that Simon & Nicky love frogs and other animals, just as much as any other average person, but if you knew the magnitude of their problem sleeping at night with all the racket these tree frogs make, you would be looking for any and all solutions as well.
When these frogs get into sisterns, toilet bowls or pipes, they megaphone out a sound that will yank the hardiest sleepers right out of their beds.
What is needed here is a true scientific solution for getting these frogs to move to another location.
Marco.

Maybe people who have problems with frogs and other animals should use internet for seek out as much information as possible about the selected critter. Small changes in a animals habitat could make the night a little easier. Killing a animal is not an good solution.

I hope this problem will be solved without extermination of beeings. They only follow their instincts.

( I like all animals, so i am maybe a little partial ) :cool:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Internet search

Rattus_Rattus said:
Maybe people who have problems with frogs and other animals should use internet for seek out as much information as possible about the selected critter. Small changes in a animals habitat could make the night a little easier. Killing a animal is not an good solution.

I hope this problem will be solved without extermination of beeings. They only follow their instincts.

( I like all animals, so i am maybe a little partial ) :cool:

I took your advice and searched the internet. Here's what I found.

Frog calls online
We have several recordings of E. coqui calls online.
single frog calling:
short (41 kb)
longer (102 kb) or a chorus:
short (60 kb)
longer (163 kb)
coqui chorus at Lava Tree State Park (Big Island)
03 October 2000 (MPG format):
short (93 kb)
longer (176 kb)

If you enjoy peace & quiet,
just imagine trying to sleep
through this every night!!

Frogs
Over the years you hear all kinds of complaints about every kind of animal, including frogs. People usually complain about all the noise that tree frogs make. I sure don't recommend killing these frogs but you can move them a few feet away from the house by using these tips.

Cut all the bushes and overhanging limbs away from the house.

Keep as many outside lights as possible off. The lights draw in the frog's food (bugs).

Spray a weak solution of Permethrin on the shrubbery and nearby trees. This kills the small insects and will repel (not kill) the frogs.

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
Earplugs!!!! They work.

Ever seen a gekko take on a cockroach that was of equal size if not larger? I have, and it was a very one-sided battle, the gekko victorious in just a few quick jabs.

Would have been better if it didn't happen to take place in my bathroom, but c'est la vie!

Gotta agree with HB that these are our friends in the tropics. Don't hurt 'em please!

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Not a froggie murderer

- After another restless night's sleep.

Some friends popped over for a bite to eat last night. He had lived in DR for many years. A bet of $100 US was mentioned as to the whereabouts of the little blighters. I got my megabeam super halogen torch out and bu**er me they're not only in the tree's, they're having a party in my damned pool! (Lucky I didn't agree to the wager)!

Solution - apparently up the levels of chlorine so that it makes your eye's sting a bit and they'll go somewhere else. (No doubt next doors' pool)! Or scoop them up with your pool net and stamp on it! THIS IS NOT AN OPTION OK - IT WAS JUST MENTIONED.

I'm going to start looking for a cheap strobe light that is activated by sound - kind of thing crappy mobile disco's use and I'll test it's effectiveness, and if it works i'll market it!

Thanks for all the help - any other effective deterent would still be worth a mention.

S&N

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
S&N - Don't think upping the chlorine in the pool will do. Our hot tub has a lot higher concentratio of chlorine than the pool and those little froggies just come out bleached white - but still live and kicking.

At home in the states, we have huge bull frogs in our backyard - talk about loud! sponge earplugs work perfect.