Jack Tar......

fidogirl10

Apr 1, 2004
Well I just got back from being in Puerto Plata (that was my third time in DR), I must say that Jack Tar was a huge disappointment. We had problems with the hot water (we had to change rooms twice in a week), the rooms were very old and noisy (you could hear everything the person next to you was doing), I found there was not a big selection on food (just a big presentation of it) and the food they did have was not appealing. I must say though that the rooms were well kept and clean, the staff was very friendly and helpful.
I was looking forward to a resort that was Adults Only but after experiencing that I think I would sacrifice and bear the kids at the pool.... :cry:

I will definitely go back to Puerto Plata but i will stay at Occidental Grand Flamenco again, that place is amazing......

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Sorry to hear you were dissapointed with Jack Tar, when did you last visit the Grand Flamenco.

If you passed it this year did you see any construction work nearby that would have concerned you?

fidogirl10

Apr 1, 2004
tired_boy said:
Sorry to hear you were dissapointed with Jack Tar, when did you last visit the Grand Flamenco.

If you passed it this year did you see any construction work nearby that would have concerned you?

I stayed at Flamenco in November 2003 (about 5 months ago), there was construction happening because they were building or renovating the restaurant (i think)
On this trip we actually went over to the Flamenco and walked around the resort (in the rain), I noticed a new restaurant that was not there when I was there, it was in the common area right where the pool tables and show area is. It looked so beautiful!! To be honest I did not notice any more construction happening.......
I was begging my boyfriend to ask the front desk if we could pay a certain amount per night and stay there for the remain of the trip......can you even do that?

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
I'm surprised you had a bad experience at Jack tar. The Hotel is old that is true, but it keeps up with other AI standards. Normally service is good, food, pools, staff very polite and it is very quite. I prefer it over any other in Playa dorada. Occidental Gran Flamenco is very good too!.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Fidogirl10...............

fidogirl10 said:
I stayed at Flamenco in November 2003 (about 5 months ago), there was construction happening because they were building or renovating the restaurant (i think)
On this trip we actually went over to the Flamenco and walked around the resort (in the rain), I noticed a new restaurant that was not there when I was there, it was in the common area right where the pool tables and show area is. It looked so beautiful!!

Has the main buffet restaurant changed at all? I have read a few trip reports from Dec / Jan when people have said they were having to use the speciality restaurants as their buffet area because the main one was undergoing work.

Was the restaurant that you saw near the show area a new building altogether?

Can you remember the names of any of the staff from when you went in November (Sofia, Luis, Cheeky, Edward, Moreno) - Sorry for all the Q's

Thanks............in advance

debs

Jun 10, 2002
Just wanted to reply to the original post on Jack Tar Village.

I stayed there April 17-24 and was disappointed as well. I had stayed there in Sept. 2002 and thought it was the best resort in Playa Dorada.

Bar and restaurant staff were amazing as always. The animation group was so-so...and the Front Desk staff were abrupt and rude.

The first room I was assigned was a little bigger than the closet in the room I finally settled in. The place needs some work to compete with the Coral Marien and Iberostar. If I were to return to Puerto Plata, I think I would chose either of these resorts instead.

I should mention, it also rained ALL week, so that didn't help matters either.

fidogirl10

Apr 1, 2004
tired_boy said:
Has the main buffet restaurant changed at all? I have read a few trip reports from Dec / Jan when people have said they were having to use the speciality restaurants as their buffet area because the main one was undergoing work.

Was the restaurant that you saw near the show area a new building altogether?

Can you remember the names of any of the staff from when you went in November (Sofia, Luis, Cheeky, Edward, Moreno) - Sorry for all the Q's

Thanks............in advance

Hi,

No problem about the questions......hmmm to be honest with you I do not remember anyones name but I do remember that they were all really friendly and very very hyper!! (in a good way) There was this one guy that was there all the time, I am talking right from 7am til whenever I went back to my room 12am. Does anyone know how long those people work, it seems like they work 15 hour days!!
As for the new restaurant, I don't think it was in a new building (i am not sure if you have been there before) it is underneath where that big staircase outside is (if that makes any sense to you) Its right where the bar and the pool tables are.........when I went in November 2003 there was a big tarp on it and they were working on it. Our buffet restaurant was in the Italian restaurant.......I thought it was really nice (that was at the top of the staircase in the front of the hotel where the shops are)

Okay I think I better stop writing now, I am starting to confuse myself......I hope i answered your questions (i am sorry if it is confusing)

fidogirl10

Apr 1, 2004
debs said:
Just wanted to reply to the original post on Jack Tar Village.

I stayed there April 17-24 and was disappointed as well. I had stayed there in Sept. 2002 and thought it was the best resort in Playa Dorada.

Bar and restaurant staff were amazing as always. The animation group was so-so...and the Front Desk staff were abrupt and rude.

The first room I was assigned was a little bigger than the closet in the room I finally settled in. The place needs some work to compete with the Coral Marien and Iberostar. If I were to return to Puerto Plata, I think I would chose either of these resorts instead.

I should mention, it also rained ALL week, so that didn't help matters either.
Hello,

Well Jack Tar was an experience.....I think the rain contributed to my dislike for the place. After being back in Canada (and work) now for a couple weeks I feel that I might have been a little hasty on my judgement of the place. There was truth in all I said but.......I am sure it could have been a lot worse. Will I ever go back to Jack Tar.........ummmm probably not but I will surely go back to Puerto Plata!!
Thanks for the mention of Coral Marien and Iberostar, maybe next time I go I will try one of them out.......maybe next time you go, you can try Grand Flamenco, its awesome there.
Thanks.....
By the way wasn't it such a disappointment that it rained.........I felt so cheated of my vacation!!

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
fidogirl10 said:

As for the new restaurant, I don't think it was in a new building (i am not sure if you have been there before) it is underneath where that big staircase outside is (if that makes any sense to you) Its right where the bar and the pool tables are.........when I went in November 2003 there was a big tarp on it and they were working on it. Our buffet restaurant was in the Italian restaurant

No thats answered my question perfectly.

That restaurant that was opened when you went to visit recently was the original buffet place. It just sounds like they have been working on it to make it nicer, where you went for your buffet dinner was meant to be a speciality restaurant that was just being used while the proper one was being worked on.

Thanks for your info, i was trying to figure out what had changed since i went there last May.

I will be there in 32 days, can't wait!

fidogirl10

Apr 1, 2004
tired_boy said:
No thats answered my question perfectly.

That restaurant that was opened when you went to visit recently was the original buffet place. It just sounds like they have been working on it to make it nicer, where you went for your buffet dinner was meant to be a speciality restaurant that was just being used while the proper one was being worked on.

Thanks for your info, i was trying to figure out what had changed since i went there last May.

I will be there in 32 days, can't wait!
Hi tired_boy,

I am so jealous you are going there soon (even though I just got back, it doesn't even feel like I went) Have a great time, have a pina colada for me!!!!

Glad I could help!!