Question about buying a car in the D.R.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I like many other people that visit this board explore the idea of living in the D.R. someday. As I was thinking about this a little more today I thought of this question for which I didn't find an answer to in the archives. Perhaps someone can elaborate a little on this for me.

Based on what everyone says it's not worth it to import a car because of all the hassle and tipping you have to do.

A forum member posted a link to general DR1 Living tips where it listed the only options in which you can import a car. One of them was hiring a "custom clearing company" that ships the car from "door to door". I'm assuming that by using one of these companies you don't have to go through the hassle and tipping described by those who have attempted to bring their vehicle to the D.R.

Question 1 - Are there such companies around in the USA (NYC to be exact)?

Question 2 - How much would they charge for such a premium service???

The other option which is described as the best one is to purchase the vehicle in the D.R. I have been guiding myself by the prices published on:
super-carros.com

Queston 3 - Are the prices listed there actual prices for vehicles in the D.R.???

If they are. WOW!!! Those prices are outreageous. I couldn't believe it when I saw a 2004 Mitsu Montero for US 60,000. That has got to be wrong.

Any comments would be appreciated.