Best Calling Card from Toronto to DR

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I have just spent the last hour reading old threads on the "best" calling cards to use to call the DR from various parts of North America. I found one post that said from Toronto CiCi was the best (but had high maintenance fees). I have tried D-Call (Canada) and find it expensive (although reliable). However, I was not able to come to any conclusion as to a "cheap" card that lasts for the time it says!

I want to be able to call a cell phone and actually get the minutes the poster at the store tells me I will get.

Also, why is it that when calling a cell phone in the DR, it eats up your minutes faster?

I usually buy $10 or $20 cards. If anyone has had good luck with any that I can purchase in or around Toronto, please let me know.

Thanks for your help everyone.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I think CICI went belly up. I use Gold card. No connection fee means no connection fee and you get 35 mins for $5. I sometimes use it here in Canada. Sprint charges .05 a min. but with taxes it comes out to .07 and with Gold card it comes out to .03 min
The best part with Gold card is that the same rate goes for cell phones in DR.

patricia

Jan 13, 2002
I always call to DR and buy Tiger for $5.00 and it gives me 57 minutes and i use it for cell phones only

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Phone cards

I find that most cards don't let you dial cell phones from TO to the DR but the one I use is "Lucky". No connection fees and on a five dollar card you get 120 minutes. It's good to use if you know your going to have one good long conversation. All these no fee connections cards are best to use one time but not for subsequent calling.

Also there's 1015565 you get 20 minutes for a $1. You can't beat that.

Fiesta Mama said:
I have just spent the last hour reading old threads on the "best" calling cards to use to call the DR from various parts of North America. I found one post that said from Toronto CiCi was the best (but had high maintenance fees). I have tried D-Call (Canada) and find it expensive (although reliable). However, I was not able to come to any conclusion as to a "cheap" card that lasts for the time it says!

I want to be able to call a cell phone and actually get the minutes the poster at the store tells me I will get.

Also, why is it that when calling a cell phone in the DR, it eats up your minutes faster?

I usually buy $10 or $20 cards. If anyone has had good luck with any that I can purchase in or around Toronto, please let me know.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Calling cards

Hi Fiesta,

I recomend you to use the Tiger because the give you around 1 hour for 5 Dollar, there are calling cards that would give you a lot of minute but you have to spend those minute trying to get conected. I Recomend you tiger because at the least the conection is clear.

Homer
Fiesta Mama said:

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
This works for me

This may help. I call the DR 4 to 6 times per day from Indianapolis. The calls all go to cell phones in La Romana

I tried several of the phone cards but was unhappy with rates, quality of reception and hidden fees. Recently I switched to Tel3,

http://www.tel3.com/.

I can call from any phone, (my cell, home phone, pay phone, your phone) it offers a speed dial feature, sound quality is great and no dropped calls. The cost is .08 per/min and is billed to my credit card. It offers free online call detail also.

Charlie
Indianapolis

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Thanks all!

This was very helpful. I am going to try the cards mentioned and see which one works the best for me. It's all trial by error and I would rather narrow the search before I go that route. Thanks again!

Steve Taylor

Jun 16, 2004
Best Calling card from Toronto to DR

I recently found a phone card company that is actually reliable and has a LARGE quantity of cards available over the internet. The name is "snsphonecards.com" I have used various cards from this site and the connectivity/time quantity is very good. I have bought only the cards listed with 5 stars. Maybe that has something to do with it. Some of the cards are even below the retail price listed. The 1st time i bought, they had to actually call me (which i liked because i acutally spoke to a person, not a computer) and verify some information. After that I bought from the internet and the pin and toll free access nr (they have some "local access" cards as well???) was delivered over the internet and my email. Quite convienant.
//
They answered the cell phone thing as well. ALL carriers charge a premium to deliver mins over a cellular tower as opposed to a landline.
//
anyway, just thought I would drop this to you all
Steve

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I Use D-Call

Fiesta Mama said:
I have just spent the last hour reading old threads on the "best" calling cards to use to call the DR from various parts of North America. I found one post that said from Toronto CiCi was the best (but had high maintenance fees). I have tried D-Call (Canada) and find it expensive (although reliable). However, I was not able to come to any conclusion as to a "cheap" card that lasts for the time it says! .

Try www.goldline.net - D-Call uses caller ID to recognize your phone - you dial the number they say how much $ you have left and then you dial the call and it tells you how much time you have. You can reload it online and register up to 5 phones, e.g. home, work, cell, etc. as long as they will register on the call display they use. They also give you a PIN and a list of hundreds of local and 800 numbers to dial in from other than home or on your cell.

No connection fee and no expiry , nothing just the rate. Which may be a little more but those cards expire, charge minimum minutes, on and on it goes and frankly this is simpler.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
patricia said:
I always call to DR and buy Tiger for $5.00 and it gives me 57 minutes and i use it for cell phones only

Right now CICI is being sued for false advertisements of rates...

I use Phoenix phone cards... no connection fee... for 5 dollars you get 72 minutes.... i usually buy the $10.... still doesnt last me that long :cheeky:

DO NOT USE HOLA cards.... they have high connection fees and rates are just like CiCi... i think that they are somehow connected..

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
la_barbie said:
Right now CICI is being sued for false advertisements of rates...

I use Phoenix phone cards... no connection fee... for 5 dollars you get 72 minutes.... i usually buy the $10.... still doesnt last me that long :cheeky:

DO NOT USE HOLA cards.... they have high connection fees and rates are just like CiCi... i think that they are somehow connected..

by the way the phoenix cards are widely available in mississauga.... i work at city hall so i can get them here from someone...

but check out most of the convience store here have them or go on Hurontario and Dundas to Cafe Latino, they might have them as well.

ginger ale

May 6, 2004
Global cards!

Fiesta Mama said:

Hi Fiesta Mama,

For the past couple of years I've been using a calling card called Global. I find they last a long long time. With a 20$cdn card I can call the DR 4-5 times and lenghty calls each time. Give one a try!

vnature

Dec 26, 2013
Onlinw phone cards to Dominican Republic

Calling cards online is the best thing right now, you can buy phone cards from ePINCall website, from Canada to call to DR is 3.4 ?/min, I think it's really cheap and they send your card instantly.