Pico Duarte Info

Campesino

May 18, 2002
Hello to all, got a quick question. Does any one have info on entrance fees and cost for climbing Pico Duarte, looking into Guide costs, burro, etc. Im not intrested in a package from a tour operator geared for tourists, already looked at those web sites. We want to climb it just like the locals do. Any one with inside info, what to bring, whats available once there, someone here at DR1 must have climbed it before. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Paul....

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
Pico Duarte

Campesino said:
Hello to all, got a quick question. Does any one have info on entrance fees and cost for climbing Pico Duarte, looking into Guide costs, burro, etc. Im not intrested in a package from a tour operator geared for tourists, already looked at those web sites. We want to climb it just like the locals do. Any one with inside info, what to bring, whats available once there, someone here at DR1 must have climbed it before. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Paul....

I climbed it a few years ago with a group of college kids and it was a great experience. We did it all on foot and took 5 days roughing it and taking it easy at the same time. I shiver remembering having to bathe every day in freezing cold water (yes, at 10,000 feet in the Caribbean the temperature goes down to about 35 F / 1 or 2 C) and doing all necessities in the woods!

You need guides and mules and they can be hired locally if you have any local contacts. We were 14 and hired 5 men and 7 mules and took everything up with us including food for the 5 days and clothes (you need just shorts and t-shirt in the daytime but at night you need sweater, jacket, wool hat, gloves). At that time it came to about 100 dollars per person including mules, guides, food, entrance fees and transportation to and from Santo Domingo to La Cienaga, one of the entrances to the park....so, this is just to give you an idea and I hope others have more solid details.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Please do a SEARCH

We talked about this a while ago and the guys had a ball. I thought that you needed permissions and all sorts of stuff, but they just arrived and did the trip....Look up Pico Duarte in the SEARCH function

HB