taxis from puerto plata to sosua

Dolly

Apr 19, 2004
I was wondering if anyone can help me. Planning to go Sosua this weekend, and we are taking the Metro to Puerto Plata then I suppose we take a taxi to Sosua. Any idea how much is the fare for the taxi from Puerto Plata to Sosua and back?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Where are you coming from? If you take Caribe tour that will take you as far as Los Charamicos and it was 100 pesos into Sosua by taxi. I think it's gone up a bit.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
The Metro goes to Sosua, doesn't it? Where are you coming from? It would be a much cheaper ride (and more comfy) to stay on the bus.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Only Caribe Tours goes to Sosua

If you are coming from Santo Domingo or Santiago take the Caribe Tour bus to Sosua. You will save some agravation. The buses are air conditioned and comfortable.......And RD$100 seems a lot to go over to the Batey!. It's a five or six minute ride fer Pete's sake! A taxi in Santiago is RD$70 to go most places and RD$140 up tp Camp David....

Hummm, must be the tourista thing??

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Where will you be in Puerto Plata? I can give you specific suggestions if I know that.

Speaking generally, one possibility is to take a Caribe Tour bus for the less than 20 mile trip to Sosua. But you would probably have to take a taxi to the Caribe Bus terminal and a taxi from the Sosua terminal into Sosua. The present cost for the latter is RD$150.

You could take a taxi to Sosua. As a visitor rather than resident, this is going to cost you about US$20 each way.

If you are adventerous, you can got to the central park and take the guagua to 'Sosua. These are vans and buses that load at the central park. Or if you are at a hotel on the highway between Puerto Plata and Sosua, you can flag them down as they pass. The guagual will cost you about RD$20. You can also take one of the publicos (public cars with red box on roof that says POP-Sosua). They, too, will cost you about RD$20.

Dolly

Apr 19, 2004
Thank you all for your replies, and I did realize (a bit too late) that my husband has bought the metro tickets and didnt ask beforehand about the taxi fares to Sosua...we found out much later that also there is the caribe bus going directly to Sosua. We are coming from Santo Domingo, sorry for not mentioning that earlier. Anyways, I think I will try the idea of the guagua, it would be an experience too:) by the way, my husband is Dominican, but he has been out of the country for more than 10 years. Thanks again and hope you all have a great weekend.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Caribe Tours goes from Santo Domingo to Sosua. Metro stops in Puerto Plata. Caribe Tours also has more buses during day than Metro, all of which go to Sosua. Caribe Tours is charging RD$200/person from SD to Sosua.

If you haven't ridden a guagua, you most certainly should. You see life as it is when you ride a guagua. They load in the street by the Central Park at the corner closest to Sosua. Just as anybody in the park for the guagua to Sosua.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
luggage?

I enjoy the guaguas, and on various trips between Sosua and PP have found the commuters friendly and fun, especially if you know how to smile.

But I would not recommend traveling by gua-gua with luggage. The word 'sardines' comes to mind, and often the 'conductor' is hanging out the open door, due to lack of room.

dawnwil

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
And don't keep any money in your pockets!

I once had RD$400 pesos stolen from my pocket from the guy sitting beside me but of course I didn't realize it until after he got off.

dawnwil said:
I enjoy the guaguas, and on various trips between Sosua and PP have found the commuters friendly and fun, especially if you know how to smile.

But I would not recommend traveling by gua-gua with luggage. The word 'sardines' comes to mind, and often the 'conductor' is hanging out the open door, due to lack of room.

dawnwil