getting out of Punta Cana

isihali

Apr 30, 2004
So my mom's just booked herself, me, and my dad to an AI in Punta Cana for a week in mid-May and while I am excited about the Miles of Pristine Beaches, the thought of the Miles of Seafood Buffet concerns me, to say the least. What are some good day trips that my parents' spunky backpackin daughter could take, possibly including my spunky dad? I'd really like to be able to say that I've been to the DR and not just flown in to tip the cabana boy.

timelessdreams

Apr 5, 2004
isihali said:
So my mom's just booked herself, me, and my dad to an AI in Punta Cana for a week in mid-May and while I am excited about the Miles of Pristine Beaches, the thought of the Miles of Seafood Buffet concerns me, to say the least. What are some good day trips that my parents' spunky backpackin daughter could take, possibly including my spunky dad? I'd really like to be able to say that I've been to the DR and not just flown in to tip the cabana boy.

One excursion you may have fun with is the trip to Sanoa Island. About an hour by bus (get to see some of the countryside (towns, sugarcane, etc.)to a speed boat to a catamaran, for a day of sailing, snorkeling, starfish gazing and a couple of hours on the island with barbeque lunch (afraid it follows the same buffet routine.) and LOTS of RUM drinks and all the MAMAJUANA you can drink! The catamaran crew is lively, lots of dance music on the boat and island. They'll even stop on the bus ride home at a local shop carrying lots of goodies, (Cigars, pottery, local artwork, duty free liquor (again...lots of rum, & just about everything you can think of)

If you have the chance, visit "Coconuts" Restaurant (in the Plaza de el Cortecito) on the beach in Bavaro. Taxi's should know the way. The entire place is hand-painted inside by a Haitian artist, handmade furnishings, food is decent, beer is ICY cold, served in handcrafted bamboo bottle holders. They were supposed to opening an 'on the beach' nightclub this month. Yucca chips are a favorite...you may never eat another potato chip!!! Day or evening, it's a nice experience and the owners are very friendly. If you do go, just tell Edmond and Silvie that Susie & Jason sent you! Edmond may even treat you to a cuban cigar!
They're tel # once you get there is 490-6183.
PS. There is also a 3 hour mini-speed boat-snorkeling trip you can take right from the beach @ the restaurant. (a little lame compared to most, but it will take you to some beautiful waters and snorkeling right on the ocean reefs)

Have fun!
Susie

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
I like going into Higuey. About a 45 minute -to- 1 hr. bus ride depending on which hotel you are staying at. We get off at the Basilica and then drink our way down to the bus station. A lot of fun drinking and BS'ing with the locals.