dramatic increase in rent

LA Woman

Jan 7, 2004
What can a person do about a dramatic increase in rent on an apartment building?

Been living in the same apartment for three years. The owners are asking for a 53% increase in monthly rent. There has been no contract prior for this apartment. Now the owners are asking for six-month rental contract.

Is this legal?

Is there anything that can be done to stop this action?

Appreciate your help,
LA Woman
:rolleyes:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There was a question like this not too long ago. I'll see if I can find it and post the link for you. Keep paying the rent at the present rate until Fabio Guzman responds to your question. If they won't accept it, there is a bank you should put it in. The details on that will be in the thread I'll see if I can find for you.

Be mindful that in the DR the renter often has more rights than the owner doing the renting.

LA Woman

Jan 7, 2004
thanks for the link

dear Ken:

I really appreciate your sending the information and the link. I will wait for the attorney to answer as well.

just another fun day in Paradise.

regards,
LA Woman :rolleyes:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My friend has an apt. in the Naco Section of Santo Domingo

His landlord tried the same thing abouy 6 months ago.He got a lawyer,settled on a 17% increase! You have the Upper Hand,because there IS no contract! If you can sshow your receipts for the last few years,the reality is you can stay forever,as long as you continue to pay your rent!
(NOTE TO ALL,"SAVE ALL RECEIPTS IN THE DR!")
Another friend took two years,and lots of $$$$$$$$$ to get a tenant out of a Condo he owned on "La Sarasota", because his dominican "friend" had rented it without a contract!
Rule # 1 in the DR, "EVERYONE IS OUT TO SCREW YOU"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Unless,they can pass the DR1 TEST!

That is: Several Long Time Posters,will vouch for the person from personal experiences!!!

LA Woman

Jan 7, 2004
appreciate the advice

Dear Criss:

Thanks for the advice. I hope this will help my friend who is having this problem. I have passed on your information to them.good advice about saving the receipts. A hard lesson to learn sometimes.

Appreciate the help,
LA Woman

Criss Colon said:
His landlord tried the same thing abouy 6 months ago.He got a lawyer,settled on a 17% increase! You have the Upper Hand,because there IS no contract! If you can sshow your receipts for the last few years,the reality is you can stay forever,as long as you continue to pay your rent!
(NOTE TO ALL,"SAVE ALL RECEIPTS IN THE DR!")
Another friend took two years,and lots of $$$$$$$$$ to get a tenant out of a Condo he owned on "La Sarasota", because his dominican "friend" had rented it without a contract!
Rule # 1 in the DR, "EVERYONE IS OUT TO SCREW YOU"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Unless,they can pass the DR1 TEST!

That is: Several Long Time Posters,will vouch for the person from personal experiences!!!

LA Woman

Jan 7, 2004
I asked this question for my friend in Costambar. I have only been here eight months.

since you have viewed my web site please share it with other people and hopefully they will care to get involved with helping children in this country.

LA Woman

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
After one year at my place, my land lady called me up 1 day before the rent was due to imform me that she was raising the rent by 33%. I told her I would call her back the next day.

I called one of my friends who told me the by law they can only raise the rent a maximum of 10% per year.

The next day I told her that she legally could only raise it by 10%. Her answer was, ya tu sabe mucho, sta bien.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
LA Woman said:
I asked this question for my friend in Costambar. I have only been here eight months.

since you have viewed my web site please share it with other people and hopefully they will care to get involved with helping children in this country.

LA Woman
Thank you forthe clarification. My understanding of rent increases concurs with gringo in dr -namely, 10% annually.
BTW I would have referred friends to your website, but when I read that YOU needed financial aid for medical expenses my suspicion index rose! I was not certain if your Charity was for Dominican children (an excellent cause) or whether part of it was for you. Thus with this level of confusion around, I did not feel I could in all conscience refer others to it.

LA Woman

Jan 7, 2004
Lambada said:
Thank you forthe clarification. My understanding of rent increases concurs with gringo in dr -namely, 10% annually.
BTW I would have referred friends to your website, but when I read that YOU needed financial aid for medical expenses my suspicion index rose! I was not certain if your Charity was for Dominican children (an excellent cause) or whether part of it was for you. Thus with this level of confusion around, I did not feel I could in all conscience refer others to it.

I very rarely come to this board because of people like you who are busy judging and criticizing every single thing about somebody. You take away from the very sincere and genuine people who answer questions here to help people.

Yes I need help but 90% of what I get goes to children. You don't know me or my foundation so quit being such a jerk.

I will never respond to another thing you post. It's too bad your life consists of nothing but sitting and reading DR1 every day. I'm sure you will come back with some little snappy replies don?t expect anything back from me.

Take your opinions and put them where the sun doesn't shine.

LA Woman

LA Woman

Jan 7, 2004
thanks for the answer

Dear Gringo:

Thanks for your reply. That's what I have heard that you could not go over 10% per year. My friend is looking for an attorney right now. Perhaps Mr. Guzman will reply to this. He may be the right lawyer.

Appreciate your response,
LA Woman

gringo in dr said:
After one year at my place, my land lady called me up 1 day before the rent was due to imform me that she was raising the rent by 33%. I told her I would call her back the next day.

I called one of my friends who told me the by law they can only raise the rent a maximum of 10% per year.

The next day I told her that she legally could only raise it by 10%. Her answer was, ya tu sabe mucho, sta bien.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi LA Woman,

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

The verbal abuse of potential contributors is an interesting fund raising tactic. It is certainly innovative and is sure to provide market differentiation from your competitors for potential contributors. You are sure to not be confused with other worthwhile causes. For the children I hope you have access to some benefactor(s) who are not motivated soley by your fund raising abilities.

I am now confused as I took the reply from Lambada as a de facto request for clarification of the true goals of your cause. IMHO Lambada had a sincere question about the motivation for your website and in return he/she was slammed. Most people who want something from others (contributions) are eager for the opportunity to rationally discuss the aims and goals of their causes in the hopes of striking a resonant chord and ultimately illiciting a contribution and gaining another convert for the cause.

Not you. You must have gone to the dominatrix school of fund raisers. I had added your website to the "Charities" section of my "Favorites" but it is now time to go exercise my "Delete Button" and make room for another cause with which I empathize more.

My apologies to the children.

Gregg

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
LA Woman said:
What can a person do about a dramatic increase in rent on an apartment building?

Been living in the same apartment for three years. The owners are asking for a 53% increase in monthly rent. There has been no contract prior for this apartment. Now the owners are asking for six-month rental contract.

Is this legal?

Appreciate your help,
LA Woman

If you are paying in pesos and consider the equivalent in US$ a 50% increase in pesos is actually the same US$ as a year ago. April 2003 = 23.5:1- April 2004 - 45:1. I know it might sound like a lot but it isn't. I feel sorry for the people that are stuck with a 10% increase when the costs have increased by 60%
PS If you're paying in US$, ignore this post and go for the 10%

LA Woman

Jan 7, 2004
great perspective

Dear Eddy:

You really put this into perspective. What you wrote really make sense. So I guess it's not so bad since this was in pesos. I will pass this information on to my friend. It just seems like a lot at 53% but I guess it's not so bad when you consider the peso problem.

Thanks for your help
LA Woman

Mark1

Mar 17, 2004
hmmm, I have to admit (being the cynical SOB that I am ....sometimes) the first time I've read La woman's web site the same question came to my mind.
Then I thought, if this lady has a "hidden agenda" why she has to tell us so honestly she is not in very good financial conditions?

Think about it.

P.s.
English is not my 1st language, so please go easy on me, I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

This thread can turn easily in a mess , so please be good !!!!
PEACE AND LOVE!!!!!! :classic:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Oh boy, have I uncovered something?

Fireguy,
I couldn't have put it any better than you did. The level of anger I gotback from LA Woman, to a pretty innocuous comment says it all! That level of anger either means guilt or anger at being exposed. The response of a totally blameless person would have been a simplecomment to clarify what SHE (not me) had written on her website; this would have ended the confusion AND engendered donations.
I had no idea I was uncovering anything, IF indeed I am. I guess it is better out in the open. I have to say Ifeel a sense of relief thatshe will not be responding to my posts, since I do not want to be associated with skimming off the backs of Dominican children (if this is what it is). I would imagine DR1 wouldn't either (bad for business!).
To get back to thread, perhaps LA Woman should be consulting Dr. Guzzman on 2 issues, not one!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ma'am!!

LA Woman said:

Is this legal?

Appreciate your help,
LA Woman
I, for one, do believe that you are doing a great thing trying to help dominican children with your organization. I missed the part on your thread where you told people to click under your name and then click on your organization. I did not know about your organization until someone mentioned here. Every organization in the world needs fundings wheather they are public or private. Keep up the good work and thanks for helping because I know that it can be a very thankless job.

Ps: As someone told you about the rent increase, have your friend put all rent money in the bank if the landlord does not want to take it. Also, they need to keep ALL their receipts. Good luck.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Lambada said:
Fireguy,
I couldn't have put it any better than you did. The level of anger I gotback from LA Woman, to a pretty innocuous comment says it all! That level of anger either means guilt or anger at being exposed. The response of a totally blameless person would have been a simplecomment to clarify what SHE (not me) had written on her website; this would have ended the confusion AND engendered donations.

So true! I have worked for an international charity on-and-off since 1991, (you know which one, Lambada), which like many non-profit organisations has been the subject of allegations about overspending. All of these have turned out to be false, sensationalist exaggerations, and when questions like these are posed it is a welcome opportunity to explain, in a civil manner, that just x% goes towards essential fundraising and administration costs.

As an employee of a charity, or in LA Woman's case, the person who runs it, one must never forget that you are in essence an ambassador for the organisation. Defensive replies will only alienate potential supporters.

Responding to questions such as 'just how much actually goes to the beneficiaries' is par for the course when you work for a charity, and in all truth, Lambada, most people - unlike you, I must stress - phrase these questions much more aggressively and unpleasantly. I think you deserve an apology.

I had looked at the site and wondered about making contact with the organisation. Now I am not so sure.

Chiri

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Chiri!

Chirimoya said:
So true! I have worked for an international charity on-and-off since 1991, (you know which one, Lambada), which like many non-profit organisations has been the subject of allegations about overspending. All of these have turned out to be false, sensationalist exaggerations, and when questions like these are posed it is a welcome opportunity to explain, in a civil manner, that just x% goes towards essential fundraising and administration costs.

As an employee of a charity, or in LA Woman's case, the person who runs it, one must never forget that you are in essence an ambassador for the organisation. Defensive replies will only alienate potential supporters.

Responding to questions such as 'just how much actually goes to the beneficiaries' is par for the course when you work for a charity, and in all truth, Lambada, most people - unlike you, I must stress - phrase these questions much more aggressively and unpleasantly. I think you deserve an apology.

I had looked at the site and wondered about making contact with the organisation. Now I am not so sure.

Chiri
I understand what you are saying but just remember, since you said that you have wondered about making contact but are not sure now, that one person does not make an organization. She WAS a little harsh but there's only so much accusations that a person can take. This person was not even advertasing her site and then people started to jump on her.