Shortest route to punta cana from santiago. Please help!!!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Can some of you DR1 experts guide me to Punta Cana from santiago? I thought I would have to go to capital and then to la romana and then move on to the road to higuey and then to punta cana / bavaro area. However I am told that there is a new express road to punta cana directly from the capital. Has anyone travelled that road and if you can tell me if its all complete and how long does it take to get there? I have to go to Melia caribe Tropical resort. Any tip would be highly appreciative. Thanks in advance.
AZB

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
You can get there.

AZB

The "new" express road is a work in progress in somebody's mind at this time. There is a clearing of the way from San Pedro towards La Romana to make a new road and that is the extent of it. There is talk of then having the road circumnavigate La Romana and continue on towards Punta Cana by circumnavigating Higuey.

You will have to go the route from Santiago through the capital onwards to Boca Chica. The new highway del Este from B.C. will speed you around Juan Dolio towards San Pedro and just before you enter S.P. you can opt to take the circumnavigation route around it. You will save about 15 min and having to mix up with the local traffic in S.P.,especially the moto's. You will continue on towards La Romana - Higuey - Punta Cana by the pre-existing roads. The travel time from Rio Ozama/Santo Domingo to Punta Cana is about 3 hours or so.

Detailed links below.

www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27866&highlight=route+santo+punta+pedro

or

www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23322&highlight=route+santo+punta+pedro

Once you arrive at the crossroads in Beron just before the Shell station you turn left towards the police station. The Melia is straight ahead on the same road just beyond the Barcelo resorts, about 10-11 kms from the crossroad.

Happy traveling and regards,
PJT