Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata

negrecita2003

Sep 23, 2003
Can anyone please tell me how long it would take for someone to drive from Las Americas airport to Marien Coral by Hilton resort in Puerto Plata?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
About 5 or 6 hours

Give or take. If you don't NEED a rental car taxi to the Metro/Caribe bus terminals in the capital and then the buses would be about $30 each way.

MotorCity Mike

Apr 9, 2004
Fare?

ricktoronto said:
Give or take. If you don't NEED a rental car taxi to the Metro/Caribe bus terminals in the capital and then the buses would be about $30 each way.

I just got off the phone with Caribe Tours in Santo Domingo and they told me the fare from SD to PP was 200 pesos.....less than $5.00?

MotorCity Mike

R.Dennis

Apr 1, 2004
Looks like your gettin a big saving from Going to THE SOURCE!

Looks like your about $25 off Ricky...lol

MotorCity Mike said:
I just got off the phone with Caribe Tours in Santo Domingo and they told me the fare from SD to PP was 200 pesos.....less than $5.00?

MotorCity Mike

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
How long?

negrecita2003 said:
Can anyone please tell me how long it would take for someone to drive from Las Americas airport to Marien Coral by Hilton resort in Puerto Plata?

If your question infers that you are renting a car at the airport and you are driving yourself, then it would take 3 1/2 to 4 hours, assuming you don't get lost along the way, or run into rush hour traffic in Santo Domingo.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Add in the Taxi, Clever Guy

R.Dennis said:
Looks like your about $25 off Ricky...lol

$5 plus the $25 to the Metro or Caribe station from the airport each way. Learn to read.

Edited to add, and you are a nimrod.

Last edited:

nycVu

Mar 30, 2004
Rick, I wanna do a similar bus ride

...but in reverse. I'll call Carribe as my arrival day draws closer, but I'd like to ask for your expertise, por favor :)

I plan on taking the bus down from Sosua. I believe someone mentioned in an earlier post that the bus makes a stop in Santiago before continuing down to SD. My final destination is your neck of the woods actually - Boca Chica. So how would I get there from the bus station? Should I just hop a cab for speed and convenience, or what? Price vs. a gua-gua?

Your thoughts are definitely appreciated!

28 days and I'm getting on my co-workers nerves... :cool:

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Negrecita 2003

I did this three times already on my previous trips...

From the Airport it's about 30 minutes (not hitting traffic) to Santo Domingo, and the Metro or Caribe bus stations. Metro has better buses, but basically it's 3 1/2 to 4 hours to Puerto Plata. They both stop in Santiago for a few minutes. (10 or 15 mins.) From the bus station to the Coral Marien it's another 20 minutes or so.

Prices....

Taxi to Santo Domingo: The last time (Feb. 2003) was $20 USD
Bus to POP: The last time (Feb. 2003) was about $4 USD.
Taxi to hotel: The last time (Feb. 2003) was $20 USD

Don't let them charge you much more than that...try to negotiate the price before you get IN the taxi...it not, you're at their mercy!

Good luck and enjoy yourself!

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Taxi

nycVu said:
...but in reverse. I'll call Carribe as my arrival day draws closer, but I'd like to ask for your expertise, por favor :)

I plan on taking the bus down from Sosua. I believe someone mentioned in an earlier post that the bus makes a stop in Santiago before continuing down to SD. My final destination is your neck of the woods actually - Boca Chica. So how would I get there from the bus station? Should I just hop a cab for speed and convenience, or what? Price vs. a gua-gua?

All the buses connect via Santiago. Then you'd go on to the capital ending up downtown. Frankly at that point I'd get a taxi, haggle for a price in the $25-30 area and not bother with then getting to the guaguas and that rank form of travel compared to Metro at that point. Plus you'll have had enough of buses I'd suspect. I'd use a taxi from Sosua to Boca Chica personally or try a one way rental if I was truly adventurous. No buses for me. (or SOUP for you!)

nycVu

Mar 30, 2004
Really?!!

ricktoronto said:
All the buses connect via Santiago. Then you'd go on to the capital ending up downtown. Frankly at that point I'd get a taxi, haggle for a price in the $25-30 area and not bother with then getting to the guaguas and that rank form of travel compared to Metro at that point. Plus you'll have had enough of buses I'd suspect. I'd use a taxi from Sosua to Boca Chica personally or try a one way rental if I was truly adventurous. No buses for me. (or SOUP for you!)

Well hide me in a hole and call me Saddam!! I'd NEVER drive in that country! But you're right. I would be sick of buses by then. So a taxi it is - AFTER leaving the bus from Sosua. I assume then you recommend Metro as opposed to Caribbe? Do you have a web address for Metro? And humor me....How much do you figure a four hour taxi ride would be from Sosua to BC?

BTW: LMAO at "...that rank form of travel.." You're a riot! I saw folks crammed in those buses looking like Star Jones in a g-string...busting out all over the place! But I figured on my next trip down, I'd ride on it just once, just for the experience. And I'll definitely bring my nose plugs...(I imagine in more ways than one that it's a "good place for a stick-up"!!) :tired:

Besides, it can't be as bad as the NYC subway system... :ermm:

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Either is fine

Metro or Caribe are pretty much the same, take which one is best on the schedule though I bet they are the same more or less that way as well. The retail rate is US$180 so if you speak Spanish and bargain well, maybe $150.

nycVu

Mar 30, 2004
Ugh, Maybe I need to learn to read too...

ricktoronto said:
Metro or Caribe are pretty much the same, take which one is best on the schedule though I bet they are the same more or less that way as well. The retail rate is US$180 so if you speak Spanish and bargain well, maybe $150.

Where'd this $180US s**t come from? I thought it was $30US to go from Sosua to SD? Is that price in pesos? Did I miss something along the way? Hell, I'd risk driving if I gotta pay that much.... What gives Rick?

MotorCity Mike

Apr 9, 2004
Taxi

nycVu said:
Where'd this $180US s**t come from? I thought it was $30US to go from Sosua to SD? Is that price in pesos? Did I miss something along the way? Hell, I'd risk driving if I gotta pay that much.... What gives Rick?

I think he was talking about the taxi fare between Santo Domingo and Sosua.

MotorCity Mike

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Well I Guess You Do ( Eye Gess U doo)<--sound it out!

nycVu said:

He asked this: How much do you figure a four hour taxi ride would be from Sosua to BC?

I said this: The retail rate is US$180 so if you speak Spanish and bargain well, maybe $150.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I always negotiate a fare of US$120 to go from Santo Domingo Las Americas airport to Puerto Plata via taxi, which is about the same time and distance as going from Boca Chica to Santiago, well, maybe a little bit longer so you should be able to get this for $100.

nycVu

Mar 30, 2004
O-Tay!!

ricktoronto said:
He asked this: How much do you figure a four hour taxi ride would be from Sosua to BC?

I said this: The retail rate is US$180 so if you speak Spanish and bargain well, maybe $150.

Thanks... This brotha will get on the bus! Me and my iPod and my digital camcorder will enjoy the sights! Hey, I may even get off in Santiago for a few hours and catch a later bus to continue the ride down to SD. Although I'm not particularly fond of land-locked cities...

27 days and...it's a chilly 50 degrees in NYC today... :tired:

R.Dennis

Apr 1, 2004
Hmmm, wrong again Ricky

(QUOTE)Give or take. If you don't NEED a rental car taxi to the Metro/Caribe bus terminals in the capital and then the buses would be about $30 each way.

ricktoronto said:
$5 plus the $25 to the Metro or Caribe station from the airport each way. Learn to read.

Hmmm Rickster.. If you read that quote what does it say? I don't need to call names out to get a point across...lol You clearly state that "If YOU don't need a rental car taxi to the Metro/Caribe bus terminals in the capital, then the buses would be about $30 each way.".. hmm looks like you need readers comprehension. Don't get mad at me because you put the wrong facts down bud. It's cool, everyone makes mistakes...lol

R.Dennis

Apr 1, 2004
Finally

Once and for all it's under 5 US Dollars round trip from SD to POP on the Bus.
Just wanted to make that clear for the folks out there.

R.Dennis said:
(QUOTE)Give or take. If you don't NEED a rental car taxi to the Metro/Caribe bus terminals in the capital and then the buses would be about $30 each way.

ricktoronto said:

Hmmm Rickster.. If you read that quote what does it say? I don't need to call names out to get a point across...lol You clearly state that "If YOU don't need a rental car taxi to the Metro/Caribe bus terminals in the capital, then the buses would be about $30 each way.".. hmm looks like you need readers comprehension. Don't get mad at me because you put the wrong facts down bud. It's cool, everyone makes mistakes...lol

nycVu

Mar 30, 2004
That's what I thought...

Conchman said:
Not much to see in Santiago bro, I would skip it ( :cross-eye getting ready to catch hell from AZB and co. :ermm: )

But I've got this cool-*** Dominican dude in the office who swears Santiago is a must-see for anyone traveling in the DR... And since I'm making a stop there on the bus anyway, I figured what the hell? Won't hurt...

Besides I'm going to two monger capitals (Sosua and BC) and it would be nice to practice my developing Spanish language skills with a chica while I'm not on the meter... :tired:

27 days and... I'm ready to leave a drizzly, cold Manhattan island for a warm and beautiful exotic one... :cool: