Just out of curiosity, why DR and why not PR?

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
My question is addressed to those Americans who have settled in the DR:

Why have you chosen DR instead of Puerto Rico since PR is also a Caribbean Island plus a Spanish- speaking US commonwealth, with a high standard of living and moutains and beautiful beaches as well?

Let me make clear that I am not Puerto Rican and I have never visited DR. That's why I ask, in order to get your view point.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
DR vs PR

juancarlos said:

Why have you chosen DR instead of Puerto Rico since PR is also a Caribbean Island plus a Spanish- speaking US commonwealth, with a high standard of living and moutains and beautiful beaches as well?

Let me make clear that I am not Puerto Rican and I have never visited DR. That's why I ask, in order to get your view point.

Cost of living, safety, friendly people, more diverse, bigger, and we don't get wiped out every year by hurricanes.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have spent a lot of time in Puerto Rico, primarily in Boqueron on the east coast and Salinas on the south coast, but I much prefer the north coast of the Dominican Republic for reasons much like those of Rocky.

Juan_Lopez

Oct 21, 2003
I am currently living in Ponce, PR completing a 9 month project for the tourism industry here and I can hardly wait to finish and return to my home in the Cibao. I have lived 7+ years in the DR.

OK... yes PR has a more modern infrastructure but the biggest downside as mentioned is the Cost of Living. We just paid our rent $550 US for a 3 bedroom 2 bath home here in Ponce. We also pay rent of RD 3,500 for our 3bdrm 2bth house in the DR. For one months rent in PR we can pay for 5-6 months rent in the DR. Food and stuff for the baby is about 20% more expensive here in PR.

The BIG difference are the people and culture! The people in PR are nice but Dominicans are friendlier.

In Puerto Rico:
Not once has someone brought over a plate of food just because.
Not once has a complete stranger offered me a cup of coffee.
Not once have I driven with beer in hand.

These are just a few of the reasons why I would never choose to live longterm in the USA or any of it's commonwealths again.

We are coming back in June :)

Amilda/Expat

Jan 22, 2002
DR and PR

In my opinion people move to other places not because they like one country better than their own but mainly for economical reasons. First, I am from PR. I am enjoying very much Dominican Republic. I have good friends here, I could say that the majority of my friends are foreigners, not by choice, just because ?..

If I had the opportunity I would consider moving back home too. The reason that I am here is because my husband works for a multinational and we are posted here. If he was transfered to China, I would probably go there too.

Dominican Republic has good and bad things. The advantage that I have here is that I have two maids much cheaper, and also I have a driver. With the money that my husband earns we could not afford to have this in PR. As a result I have more time to spend with my family and husband here, and participate in more activities that I enjoy.

Juan is saying:
?The BIG difference is the people and culture! The people in PR are nice but Dominicans are friendlier.? HA!
Ask the foreigners who live here, for their opinion about your statement. I always hear the Dominicans talking about how friendly they are themselves. I am not intentionally talking bad about Dominicans, but in my opinion, you see things from the position you are in.

The important thing is to try to understand the cultural differences where ever you live, if you are not in your country. So that you can understand that certain things done by nativos are not done in spite of you, but because they are like that.

Have a good day, and don?t kill me.
Amilda

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Juan_Lopez said:
I am currently living in Ponce, PR completing a 9 month project for the tourism industry here and I can hardly wait to finish and return to my home in the Cibao. I have lived 7+ years in the DR.

OK... yes PR has a more modern infrastructure but the biggest downside as mentioned is the Cost of Living. We just paid our rent $550 US for a 3 bedroom 2 bath home here in Ponce. We also pay rent of RD 3,500 for our 3bdrm 2bth house in the DR. For one months rent in PR we can pay for 5-6 months rent in the DR. Food and stuff for the baby is about 20% more expensive here in PR.
The BIG difference are the people and culture! The people in PR are nice but Dominicans are friendlier.

In Puerto Rico:
Not once has someone brought over a plate of food just because.
Not once has a complete stranger offered me a cup of coffee.
Not once have I driven with beer in hand.

These are just a few of the reasons why I would never choose to live longterm in the USA or any of it's commonwealths again.

We are coming back in June :)

Wow, Juan! You are paying $550.00 a month for a three bdr. 2 bath house in Ponce! IN the US I don't think you can find that anymore. Where I live that's what a single goes for.

However, when you compare it to DR I can see why you would prefer it to PR. Also, as the Puerto Rican lady stated, for the money her husband makes she lives like a grande bourgeoise in the DR.

Juan, what dominican city are you from since you mentioned that $550.00 would be the equivalent of several months rent. Most of what I had read here so far, had led me to believe that housing was far more expensive in DR than what you describe. I have also heard that Dominicans are good, kind-hearted folks, same as Puerto Ricans. The difference may lie in Puerto Rico's americanization process.

Juan_Lopez

Oct 21, 2003
Ask the foreigners who live here, for their opinion about your statement.
Amilda I am a foreigner! Lived in the USA for 34 years and this is only MY opinion. I figured there will be others :)

I have also heard that Dominicans are good, kind-hearted folks, same as Puerto Ricans. The difference may lie in Puerto Rico's americanization process.
Yes, that definetly could be it :)

The place where I live is between Salcedo and Moca in the Cibao Valley. I paid my rent for the entire year thereby locking in at RD 3,500... the rent legally can only go up 10% and I have a contract. We are building a home right now.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
juancarlos said:
Wow, Juan! You are paying $550.00 a month for a three bdr. 2 bath house in Ponce! IN the US I don't think you can find that anymore. Where I live that's what a single goes for.

However, when you compare it to DR I can see why you would prefer it to PR. Also, as the Puerto Rican lady stated, for the money her husband makes she lives like a grande bourgeoise in the DR.

Juan, what dominican city are you from since you mentioned that $550.00 would be the equivalent of several months rent. Most of what I had read here so far, had led me to believe that housing was far more expensive in DR than what you describe. I have also heard that Dominicans are good, kind-hearted folks, same as Puerto Ricans. The difference may lie in Puerto Rico's americanization process.
I live in a decent part of santiago and my rent is 5500 pesos / month. It has been like this for the past 5 years. I have 3 car parking on my driveway with a huge gate. I have front yard, and a huge back yard. its a 3 bedroom house in a very safe neighborhood. DR can be a bargain if you know where to live. If you can live away from the beach and the ugly hookers then you can live like a king for peanuts.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
There are many reason to go to DR,

Is not because I am Dominican,

Just try to visit Dominican Republic, spend some times in different part of the Island and you will see. People make you feel welcome to the DR. Dominicans offering a cup of coffe, food, beer and also may invite to spend time in their house or "En el Campo".

Los motoconchos
Limpia botas
Las Frutas
Los Colmado "24 hour beer"

Just try to visit the DR,

Homer

juancarlos said:

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
both are cool places in my book. i've lived many years in both PR and DR and visit family and friends in both frequently (i'm currently living in the US 'mainland'). DR & PR are both beautiful, and have very good-natured people. believe it or not, crime is much worse in PR than DR, san juan metro is very, very unsafe. the rest of the island is more relaxed but this problem alone would favor DR. PR on the other hand, has much better infrastructure than DR and despite the higher cost of living in Borinquen, at least there is more stability in prices, etc, than in Quisqueya where you never know what things are going to cost from day to day. my 2 cents.
-Tordok

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Move To The Country

juancarlos said:

WHERE DO YOU LIVE? HOUSE PAYMENT ON A 4BR 2 STORY IN INDIANA IS 550, 1/2 ACRE LOT.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Good grief!! Too much info!!!

I love the DOMINICAN REPUBLIC. How's that for a short report?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Both are 360 degrees different as far as culture, values, personalities, and a thousand other things...

Oh, and I agree with whoever said it was to escape US taxes and so forth...

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
#1 is a winner. The second one for me escaping the corporate BS.

Tony C said:
While they won't admit it the reason for most poeple are:

Escaping US Taxes
Easy and Cheap SEX!

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
I live in...

bienamor said:
juancarlos said:

WHERE DO YOU LIVE? HOUSE PAYMENT ON A 4BR 2 STORY IN INDIANA IS 550, 1/2 ACRE LOT.

I live in California. I guess that says it all. Most expensive housing in the USA, I think.