Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Worried about the weather for next week??!!!

Hello all

My boyfriend and I are coming to DR next Monday, and we cant wait! We've been looking forward to this holiday since we booked it last August! After looking on weather.com at the 10 day forecast and seeing all those black rain clouds, I am worried that the weather is not going to be what we expected. I know that you have frequent downpours that dont last long, but the outlook gives a worse picture than that.

Please could anyone give me some insight into if the forecast is correct? Will it rain all day? Is it going to be as bad as it looks on the outlook??

Please tell me no!! Thanks in advance.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Reading your post, went on weather.com to check the weather for Santo Domingo. It reads partly cloudy -- which is correct for today. Looking outside the window of our office, there are mainly blue skies, but there are clouds.

Then I read that the forecast for the next 9 days is mainly scattered thunderstorms.

Tonight scattered t-storms
    May 6 -- scattered t-storms
    May 7 partly cloudy
    May 8 -- scattered t-storms
    May 9 -- scattered t-storms
    May 10 t storms
    May 11 -- scattered t-storms
    May 12 -- scattered t-storms
    May 13 scattered t-storms
    May 14 scattered t-storms

I will try to remember everyday to return to this post and tell you what the weather was for the day.

All I can think is that the thunderstorm definition of weather.com is very different from rainstorms in the Caribbean, which are mostly bursts of rain that last five minutes and then the sun shines again. If you read the weather.com page, you will note that after they make the dire forecast of scattered t-storms, they give you the probability of it actually raining. For most of the days it is 50%. That is, it could or not rain at all.

Anyway, check in with this link to see how the weather for Santo Domingo meets the forecast of weather.com so you know how much credibility to give to this forecast. For tonight they are forecasting rain. Will let you know tomorrow.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...&itemCd=DR&x=8

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Hel, do you really want to know. I worry that you are going to worry so much about the weather that you will lose your excitement for the trip.

Coming to the DR should be looked at as an adventure. Stop fretting about the weather and start checking the websites on the Dominican Republic to identify all the fun things that you can do should you have a rainy day during your visit. Cab drivers in Sosua tell me that they like rainy days because then many visitors go out to explore the many interesting places that they probably wouldn't have seen if they had spent every day on the beach.

You didn't say where you will be staying. why not start another thread and ask what you can do wherever it is that you will be should you have a day when the weather isn't great for the beach?

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

So true about countries being lovely under the rain and about discovering lots of different things. For instance, when it rains in Puerto Plata it is time to take the Brugal rum factory tour and to visit the Amber Museum and go shopping...

Personally, one of the most beautiful cities I have visited was Sevilla, Spain under the rain -- was there and it rained for three days -- when the sun came out it was not as lovely, so my perception at the time... Remember visiting Paestum Roman and Greek ruins in southern Italy under heavy and cold rain. Memorable... No such extremes here, but yes, you could come and find yourself with three or four days straight, particularly if you visit the north coast, but that is the exception not the norm. If it happens, like Ken says, go out and see what you normally would not see if it had been a sunny day on the beach.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores
    So true about countries being lovely under the rain and about discovering lots of different things. For instance, when it rains in Puerto Plata it is time to take the Brugal rum factory tour and to visit the Amber Museum and go shopping...

Personally, one of the most beautiful cities I have visited was Sevilla, Spain under the rain -- was there and it rained for three days -- when the sun came out it was not as lovely, so my perception at the time... Remember visiting Paestum Roman and Greek ruins in southern Italy under heavy and cold rain. Memorable... No such extremes here, but yes, you could come and find yourself with three or four days straight, particularly if you visit the north coast, but that is the exception not the norm. If it happens, like Ken says, go out and see what you normally would not see if it had been a sunny day on the beach.
    Sevilla was one of my favorites also.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Have a look at this site ---- http://www.wunderground.com/global/DR.html --- pick your city or area and you have a fairly good forecast.

Rain? If it rains (usually at night) the rain is wonderful and warm. Nothing wrong with playing the rain. Cloudy weather is usually not a problem and brings a cool relief to temperatures that can go quite high.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Following up with the weather.com 10 day forecast:

May 5 (evening) scattered t-storms
    May 7 partly cloudy
    May 8 -- scattered t-storms
    May 9 -- scattered t-storms
    May 10 t storms
    May 11 -- scattered t-storms
    May 12 -- scattered t-storms
    May 13 scattered t-storms
    May 14 scattered t-storms

No rain at all in the night, but it rained for an hour from 5 am to 6 am. No thunder, so I do not understand why this rain burst (we call them chubascos) is called a thunderstorm.

The forecast for today, 6 May is scattered t-storms. It is cloudy today, but no rain since early this morning. Will keep monitoring this forecast.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dear Hel: Please tell us where you are going

It might have something to do with the weather.

Most times there is no reason to worry. There are lots of adventures that don't need sun to enjoy. GOLF excepted..

Chances are you will enjoy this experience more than you can imagine..

HB

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Following up with the weather.com forecast for today of

It was cloudy all day, but sunny. At 6 pm to 7 pm a downpour occurred, followed by slight drizzle from 7 to 8 pm. That seems to be it for the scattered t-storms for the day.

You could have spent all day on the beach (of course if Santo Domingo had a beach).

Just following up here to read the weather reports and what they mean.

Will get back tomorrow that has the forecast for partly cloudy.

May I say, didn't hear a single thunder through today's rain.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you for all your info guys!!

I feel better for reading all your replies, think i was panicing a bit too much! Its my last day at work today, then the weekend, the we'll be on our way!

We are staying in Playa Dorada at the Gran Ventana Beach Resort. So what kinds of things can we do if it rains? Is there a big shopping mall in Puerto Plata?

Thanks again for all your info.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast