Just back from PUERTO PLATA!

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Hi everyone this is the first trip report I have ever written so hope it ends up to be a good one. First I might start by saying I had the best time of my life and the reason why I went off the resort all the time. I stayed at the Paradise Beach resort in Playa Dorada just for budget reasons and I got a great deal $810 Canadian. It's nice an older resort but I liked it there. The room was clean and food good my two priorities. The food did get repetitive after a while so I enjoyed eating off the resort.

I went into the city Puerta Plata many times shopping, chilling out. I met a lot of people who wanted to take us out and show us around. But of course Dominicans are very kind and friendly people as they always are. We went shopping at La Hienda (I probably spelled that wrong) we walked the downtown streets venturing out and it was great! We found our way to Park Centro and took some pictures. The clothes are so cheap comapred to in Canada lol! Oh I must say crossing the street was crazy as pedestrians don't come first lol we laughed so hard trying to cross the street. I would follow a local and they would laugh because they knew lol!

I am a Portuguese Canadian and I speak Portuguese so it helped me to be able to understand a bit of Spanish and I know how to speak the basic stuff. But I got to practice a lot and everyone was quite impressed with how much I understood and spoke and so was I! So I wouldn't let anyone speak English to me so I could practice. I told them it must be from watching the Spanish telenovela Marianna de la Noche in Canada and they got a laugh out of that. I hope I'm not boring anyone, it is my first post about a trip report so bare with me.

The men were as expected such sweet talkers but I don't fall for anything. I know HB's rules lol I shared them with my friend so she would be prepared. I just wanted to dance and have fun which I definately did! I got marriage proposals lol and other proposals lol! But I already knew what to expect so I would laugh a lot at everything they would say to me.

I bought tons of CD's as they were cheap and I even have a song we fell in love with one of Elvis Martinez's songs NO TE VAYAS , I'm already a big fan of his. In the club everyone would get up to dance to this song and we knew why. I am a bachata music lover!

We went to clubs, La Canita, La Barrica, Orion. We didn't like how dark La Baricca and Orion were. We enjoyed La Canita very much we went there quite a few nights! I dance here in Canada so it was so much fun for me what a work out I think I lost a few pounds lol! Oh but the one story I must tell is how I had to go to the bathroom a one place that we went to down the street from La Canita at 4;30am and I entered the washroom and there was no stall and no door in the entrance. I was like uh oh, so I go ready since I had to go really bad, squatted and tried to pee really fast as I kept watching for someone to walk in on me lol, as I picture myself boy was it ever funny!

I never drank so much as I did, I don't think I'll be drinking for a while here in Canada lol! I did enjoy drinking Presidente!
We went to Cabarete for the day, had shrimp for lunch yummy, did some shopping and walking around! It was a beautiful day, really hot and having an ice cold Presidente hit the spot!

We headed to Sosua on labour day it was full of people as everyone was off that day! That was a lot of fun too! We went in a car where everyone hops in and you let the driver know where you want to go(can't remember what you call them). I knew about it and we decided to take it since it was cheaper than a taxi.

We met some friends who wanted us to meet there family so off we went and of course they were very kind they even served us food it was DELICIOUS! I love how everyone plays music and home really loud we started dancing in the house and having lots of fun!

I also went to some place called or in the Mountains, it's an outside club, with a pool DJ and I know theres a Motel there too? Not sure if anyone knows what I'm talking about but I can't exactly remember what it's called. It was fun, it was at a club in daylight dancing away!

I hope I didn't bore anyone but I wanted to let new travellers to the DR know if you stay at at AI resort please leave the resort you will have so much more fun trust me! Just take percausions as you would anywhere and have fun!
I'm so glad I ventured out more than my last trip because by far this was my best vacation to the DR so far! You get the real feel of what the Dominican Republic is all about. Don't be scared and don't listen to people who try to discourage you from leaving your gated hotel area. I never went anywhere alone always with my friend everyone who met us knew we had to be together wherever we went that was us being safe. We didn't take rides from anyone we always went together. As nice as everyone is, it is still a different country and they do things completely different from Canada. Thanks to everyone of this board, I learned a lot from reading DR1 and I can't wait to go back, wish I was there now and I just got back Sunday!
I'll be working on my plans for my next trip lol!

I had a BLAST!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Thanks!

Music said:
Hi everyone this is the first trip report I have ever written so hope it ends up to be a good one. First I might start by saying I had the best time of my life and the reason why I went off the resort all the time. I stayed at the Paradise Beach resort in Playa Dorada just for budget reasons and I got a great deal $810 Canadian. It's nice an older resort but I liked it there. The room was clean and food good my two priorities. The food did get repetitive after a while so I enjoyed eating off the resort.

I went into the city Puerta Plata many times shopping, chilling out. I met a lot of people who wanted to take us out and show us around. But of course Dominicans are very kind and friendly people as they always are. We went shopping at La Hienda (I probably spelled that wrong) we walked the downtown streets venturing out and it was great! We found our way to Park Centro and took some pictures. The clothes are so cheap comapred to in Canada lol! Oh I must say crossing the street was crazy as pedestrians don't come first lol we laughed so hard trying to cross the street. I would follow a local and they would laugh because they knew lol!

I am a Portuguese Canadian and I speak Portuguese so it helped me to be able to understand a bit of Spanish and I know how to speak the basic stuff. But I got to practice a lot and everyone was quite impressed with how much I understood and spoke and so was I! So I wouldn't let anyone speak English to me so I could practice. I told them it must be from watching the Spanish telenovela Marianna de la Noche in Canada and they got a laugh out of that. I hope I'm not boring anyone, it is my first post about a trip report so bare with me.

The men were as expected such sweet talkers but I don't fall for anything. I know HB's rules lol I shared them with my friend so she would be prepared. I just wanted to dance and have fun which I definately did! I got marriage proposals lol and other proposals lol! But I already knew what to expect so I would laugh a lot at everything they would say to me.

I bought tons of CD's as they were cheap and I even have a song we fell in love with one of Elvis Martinez's songs NO TE VAYAS , I'm already a big fan of his. In the club everyone would get up to dance to this song and we knew why. I am a bachata music lover!

We went to clubs, La Canita, La Barrica, Orion. We didn't like how dark La Baricca and Orion were. We enjoyed La Canita very much we went there quite a few nights! I dance here in Canada so it was so much fun for me what a work out I think I lost a few pounds lol! Oh but the one story I must tell is how I had to go to the bathroom a one place that we went to down the street from La Canita at 4;30am and I entered the washroom and there was no stall and no door in the entrance. I was like uh oh, so I go ready since I had to go really bad, squatted and tried to pee really fast as I kept watching for someone to walk in on me lol, as I picture myself boy was it ever funny!

I never drank so much as I did, I don't think I'll be drinking for a while here in Canada lol! I did enjoy drinking Presidente!
We went to Cabarete for the day, had shrimp for lunch yummy, did some shopping and walking around! It was a beautiful day, really hot and having an ice cold Presidente hit the spot!

We headed to Sosua on labour day it was full of people as everyone was off that day! That was a lot of fun too! We went in a car where everyone hops in and you let the driver know where you want to go(can't remember what you call them). I knew about it and we decided to take it since it was cheaper than a taxi.

We met some friends who wanted us to meet there family so off we went and of course they were very kind they even served us food it was DELICIOUS! I love how everyone plays music and home really loud we started dancing in the house and having lots of fun!

I also went to some place called or in the Mountains, it's an outside club, with a pool DJ and I know theres a Motel there too? Not sure if anyone knows what I'm talking about but I can't exactly remember what it's called. It was fun, it was at a club in daylight dancing away!

I hope I didn't bore anyone but I wanted to let new travellers to the DR know if you stay at at AI resort please leave the resort you will have so much more fun trust me! Just take percausions as you would anywhere and have fun!
I'm so glad I ventured out more than my last trip because by far this was my best vacation to the DR so far! You get the real feel of what the Dominican Republic is all about. Don't be scared and don't listen to people who try to discourage you from leaving your gated hotel area. I never went anywhere alone always with my friend everyone who met us knew we had to be together wherever we went that was us being safe. We didn't take rides from anyone we always went together. As nice as everyone is, it is still a different country and they do things completely different from Canada. Thanks to everyone of this board, I learned a lot from reading DR1 and I can't wait to go back, wish I was there now and I just got back Sunday!

I had a BLAST!
That was a very nice post. You have the attitude to make a bad thing become a good one. Good for you. You left the resort and ventured out and mingled with people and loved it and that's all that matters.

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Music said:
I'm so glad I ventured out more than my last trip because by far this was my best vacation to the DR so far! You get the real feel of what the Dominican Republic is all about. Don't be scared and don't listen to people who try to discourage you from leaving your gated hotel area.

Music, I couldn't agree more with you! If you are not going to leave the resort you might as well go to Fla. or Southern Calif.
On your next trip you might try hooking up with some of he DR1 members who live in the Puerto Plata, Sosua, and Cabarette areas. For the most part there are some really great people living in those areas.
Nice job on the trip report!

John

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
johnsr said:
Music, I couldn't agree more with you! If you are not going to leave the resort you might as well go to Fla. or Southern Calif.
On your next trip you might try hooking up with some of he DR1 members who live in the Puerto Plata, Sosua, and Cabarette areas. For the most part there are some really great people living in those areas.
Nice job on the trip report!

John

JOHNSR- I would defintately hook up with the DR1 members. I post sometimes but I read all the posts everyday. It's what helped me prepare my trip. I'm glad you enjoyed the report.

miguel- I'm glad you read my post and understood what I was saying, which is that I had a great time!

Can't wait to do it all over again! I'm hear at work listening to all my new CD's, loving it and wishing I was back in the DR lol!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Tell as many people as you meet about how great the DR is outside the AIs...

That's what the Dominican Republic needs, people that will benefit the economy as a whole. I know you probably were not thinking of it as an economical issue (I know, this is how I think of things for the most part, which is weird because I'm Dominican and most Dominicans don't think this way, anyways). The more people do what you did, the better the economy will be not just for the All-Inclusives, but also to the many mom and pops stores across the country. Think how many businesses are that one bit better off because of your contribution! All those clubs, all those stores, even if their business fails due to the economy, at least you helped them in their last leg of things. Thank You for enjoying the Dominican Republic and Thank You for helping the Dominican economy the way you did. Every bit counts because when its all put together, the economy is every person that contributes to it, big or small!! Again, Thank You and may you have hundreds of more great Dominican trips in the future!!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am grinning from ear to ear!

GOOD FOR YOU AND YOUR FRIEND!!

You all done real good. You were especially smart and had fun, enjoyed yourselves and saw some of the countryside, met a bunch of interesting people.

Now, when you come back you can return to those same places and be received as one of the family!!. It will be so cool.

Congratulations on some interesting visuals, too......That is why Dominican girls always take a friend to the john...

Still grinning!

HB

CanadianCutie22

Jun 1, 2002
Hey Music...

Sounds like you had a trip about as equal to most of mine activity-wise.. lol.. I too have been to La Canita only after getting rained out on the Malecon...try doing the squat thing with bout 5 other dominican chica's in the washroom at the same time and with jeans that are soaken wet and totally stuck to yer body..lol only in the DR..lol Also I think the disco near the mountain with the swimming pool that you are referring to is called MountainView...its the only disco that I've been to in Puerto Plata that has a swimming pool anyways! lol

We too stayed at Paradise two trips ago. Wish I could go back right now but I'll have to wait till the 8 months is up in August..

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
CanadianCutie22 said:
Hey Music...

Sounds like you had a trip about as equal to most of mine activity-wise.. lol.. I too have been to La Canita only after getting rained out on the Malecon...try doing the squat thing with bout 5 other dominican chica's in the washroom at the same time and with jeans that are soaken wet and totally stuck to yer body..lol only in the DR..lol Also I think the disco near the mountain with the swimming pool that you are referring to is called MountainView...its the only disco that I've been to in Puerto Plata that has a swimming pool anyways! lol

We too stayed at Paradise two trips ago. Wish I could go back right now but I'll have to wait till the 8 months is up in August..

CanadianCutie22 you just gave me one hell of a laugh this morning lol! The washroom thing really made me laugh I'm just picturing the whole think! MountainView its' called cool I'll let my friend know we couldn't remember the name, thanks.

I stayed at Paradise last year too!
Boy do I wish I was back there right now too I totally understand! I'll have to start planning my next trip hee!

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Nal0whs- I completly understand what you are saying about the economy. I agree with you and I spent all the money I brought and that was my plan. I enjoyed myself along the way so it was so easy to give, I spend money shopping, at clubs, taxi's, drinking lol and it was all worth it. And knowing it will help others makes me happy. I will definatly be back I love it in the Dominican Republic. My friends always ask what's so great about the Dominican Republic and I keep telling them once you go you willl understand lol!

Hillbilly- Thanks I did have so much fun and it is because I left the resort! I thank all the DR1 members who taught me a lot so I ventured out with all the advice given on this board. I can't wait to go back and see all the friends I made they have already offered me to stay with them when I return I can't believe it! Dominicans are such great people so very kind.
Hey, I could of used my friend with me in the bathroom that night lol! I think it helped going on vacation with the right person, we both wanted to do the same things and know eachother very well so it was such a blast!

I'm still talking about it every day my friend keeps calling me up and leaving messages saying so you want to go to Sosua on Saturday lol don't we wish!!!

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Hi Music,

I really enjoyed your trip report, and no, it was definitely not boring!!!!! It sounds like you had a fabulous time. The washroom incident was really hilarious. Something like that could really be a downer for some people but you took the right attitude and appreciated the humor of the situation. Bravo.

Rose

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
rmary said:
Hi Music,

I really enjoyed your trip report, and no, it was definitely not boring!!!!! It sounds like you had a fabulous time. The washroom incident was really hilarious. Something like that could really be a downer for some people but you took the right attitude and appreciated the humor of the situation. Bravo.

Rose

Rose- I'm a smart girl and I was not expecting the Dominican Republic to be like Canada. I think North America is missing out on enjoying life, my opinion. My motto on vacation is Hakkunah Matata.... means no worries for the rest of your day a problem free philosophy....lol! I go to have fun and make the best of any situation, lifes too short enjoy every minute. I was well aware things are different that's what makes it so much fun and much more interesting! I appreciate every moment I spend in the DR I loved it! I've been there three times, except this time I went with a friend who wanted to explore the DR like I did. Some people are afraid, I went out and remembered to use my smarts as well and have fun at the same time! As you said it was truly FABULOUS and now I understand whey people keep wanting to go back!

CanadianCutie22

Jun 1, 2002
Music,

You're exactly right when it depends on who you go with! And I find the fewer the better! We spent two weeks at Paradise just over a year ago. The first week was more difficult cuz there was three of us but the second week rocked cuz then it was just two of us. We were able to do what we want..when we want..with whoever we want! I just loved hanging out in the Dominican hoods during the day..just chilling. And this past January we were there when it was the day when their sort of I guess "Santa Claus" comes..it was so sweet being their when all the kiddies got their usually just one gift. And were all playing games in the street. So different then kids here in Canada but they loved it just the same. And the loud music! You would NEVER get away with blasting music that loud here in Canada! lol One of our friends had massive speakers resting just in the entraceway to his home and turned up so loud..(I don't think I've ever experienced anything like it!)..dancing in the streets...ai ya yi..can I go back NOW please! lol

When are u planning on returning?? Same hotel or ? We've been looking at staying in one of the apart-hotels in Puerto Plata. But may end up going with the AI again..

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Does anyone wonder why everyone loves us Canadians...we love to laugh...lol lol lol!!!

Great trip report, Music. Glad you had such a wonderful time...

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
CanadianCutie22 said:
Music,

You're exactly right when it depends on who you go with! And I find the fewer the better! We spent two weeks at Paradise just over a year ago. The first week was more difficult cuz there was three of us but the second week rocked cuz then it was just two of us. We were able to do what we want..when we want..with whoever we want! I just loved hanging out in the Dominican hoods during the day..just chilling. And this past January we were there when it was the day when their sort of I guess "Santa Claus" comes..it was so sweet being their when all the kiddies got their usually just one gift. And were all playing games in the street. So different then kids here in Canada but they loved it just the same. And the loud music! You would NEVER get away with blasting music that loud here in Canada! lol One of our friends had massive speakers resting just in the entraceway to his home and turned up so loud..(I don't think I've ever experienced anything like it!)..dancing in the streets...ai ya yi..can I go back NOW please! lol

When are u planning on returning?? Same hotel or ? We've been looking at staying in one of the apart-hotels in Puerto Plata. But may end up going with the AI again..

CanadianCutie22,

Your so right, I think I'd only go with one other person, two people is good. I've travelled before with 4 people and it's tough and I don't want to be arguing or upset on a vacation no way!!
LOL the music thing is exactly what I thought, I told my friend back in Canada someone would call the police if you played music so loud all day heee. I loved how they play music all the time I was dancing in a friends living room it was awesome! Yes I brought stuff for the kids, I love kids worked with them for many many years here in Canada but your so right in the DR they appreciate it so much more I love to see the smiling faces!
I don't know when I'm returning but if I could I would go every 3 months lol I wish! I might have to work a second job to send myself to the DR more oftern lol! I'd like to stay at a non AI for once I haven't yet due to money. I"ve been to Paradise twice they actually remembered me, I was surprised! I might want to try a new hotel we'll see.
When are you going back?

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
trina said:
Does anyone wonder why everyone loves us Canadians...we love to laugh...lol lol lol!!!

Great trip report, Music. Glad you had such a wonderful time...

Trina,
You are so right I always use LOL on e-mail but than I'm always laughing, I laughed so much when I was in the DR, I even got those stomach aches and tears ran down my eyes, I love laughing that hard!
Thanks, I did have a wonderful time!

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
trina said:

Trina, You are soooooooooooooooo right!!! Around the pool, or in a restaurant, there is no question where the "Canadians" are sitting! When around them it is most difficult to NOT have a good time. Looking forward to seeing my northern friends in fifteen days!!!! :cheeky:
John

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
johnsr said:
Trina, You are soooooooooooooooo right!!! Around the pool, or in a restaurant, there is no question where the "Canadians" are sitting! When around them it is most difficult to NOT have a good time. Looking forward to seeing my northern friends in fifteen days!!!! :cheeky:
John

Thanks, Johnsr! My brother was travelling Europe, and talking to some Germans. When the German asked him where he was from and my brother told him, the German said, "Oh good, we love Canadians. You are all so laid-back and love to have fun"...I think we get that wherever we go. My brother is absolutely hilarious, and he kept this man in stitches the whole time. To people around them that didn't understand English, my brother's new German friend translated, and they were kept entertained. I think that's why Canadians are such a proud people, we like to see the good in people and like to like everyone. Racism is quite scarse here, and we're a very multicultural country...

Oh yeah, back on topic. Great report again, Music, you had me laughing, too!

CanadianCutie22

Jun 1, 2002
Hey Music,

I'm still looking at hopefully going back in August, very undecided at the moment as I'm trying to secure another job..I'm a student and usually only work during the summers to help with my course load in Fall and Winter so I usually have to save money to get me thru the winter as well. But I have it figured out my full time job will be for school monday and then my part timer will be my trip fund.. and I should be able to have enuf for it all by the 2nd last week in August.. lol yes..I'm just a bit anal when it comes to budgeting for trips.. lol

I'm really undecided over the AI or Non-AI debate mainly for money-wise.. I know how much money I need when I'm staying at an AI but am unsure of how much might be needed if at a Non-AI and different opportunities come up. I will post you this link though: www.puertoplataguide.com/Accommodations.html I'm not sure if you've seen this one but it has links to many of the non-AI hotels in Puerto Plata.

Time to get back to studying mi espaniol.. started this week and so far I know the alphabet, numbers, days of the week, months, and holidays... lol..

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
CanadianCutie22 said:
Hey Music,

I'm still looking at hopefully going back in August, very undecided at the moment as I'm trying to secure another job..I'm a student and usually only work during the summers to help with my course load in Fall and Winter so I usually have to save money to get me thru the winter as well. But I have it figured out my full time job will be for school monday and then my part timer will be my trip fund.. and I should be able to have enuf for it all by the 2nd last week in August.. lol yes..I'm just a bit anal when it comes to budgeting for trips.. lol

I'm really undecided over the AI or Non-AI debate mainly for money-wise.. I know how much money I need when I'm staying at an AI but am unsure of how much might be needed if at a Non-AI and different opportunities come up. I will post you this link though: www.puertoplataguide.com/Accommodations.html I'm not sure if you've seen this one but it has links to many of the non-AI hotels in Puerto Plata.

Time to get back to studying mi espaniol.. started this week and so far I know the alphabet, numbers, days of the week, months, and holidays... lol..

Good for you budget away if it will send you on your way to the Dominican Republic heee! You are smart!!

I have the same question in mind about how much I would need to bring if I stayed at a non AI let me know if you find out or if you end up going to a non AI in August, I'm jealous already lol!

I'm thinking of taking classes myself so I can get better. I can speak and get around as I did last week but I want to understand everything now hee!

Study hard girl and you'll have some fun fun in August!!

Yini

Apr 16, 2004
Where is La Canita?

Where is La Canita? Is is mostly Dominican Clientele? Entry fee? Booze $??

Music said:

I had a BLAST!