Any Good Quality Beach resorts 30 minutes or less from Santiago?

Judy57

May 4, 2004
Hi, I have a dilema and am hoping someone can help me with some information. I am American and am planning to visit my father who is an elderly Dominican living in Santiago. I have visited the DR many times as a child but have not been there in quite a number of years. I would like to make a visit in December to visit see my father but I would like the trip to be a vacation for my Boyfriend and his two daughters 12 and 8 yrs old.

Is there a nice beach resort relatively close to Santiago ( 30 minutes or less which is where my father resides?

how would you recommend I travel from a resort to his home. I am somewhat afraid to travel by taxi or bus since I don't speak Spanish. What would be the safest way for a tourist to travel and how would I make arrangements for this transportation? Any info would be greatly appreciated:)
Thanks

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Judy57 said:
Hi, I have a dilema and am hoping someone can help me with some information. I am American and am planning to visit my father who is an elderly Dominican living in Santiago. I have visited the DR many times as a child but have not been there in quite a number of years. I would like to make a visit in December to visit see my father but I would like the trip to be a vacation for my Boyfriend and his two daughters 12 and 8 yrs old.

Is there a nice beach resort relatively close to Santiago ( 30 minutes or less which is where my father resides?

how would you recommend I travel from a resort to his home. I am somewhat afraid to travel by taxi or bus since I don't speak Spanish. What would be the safest way for a tourist to travel and how would I make arrangements for this transportation? Any info would be greatly appreciated:)
Thanks

The closest beach is at least 1hr away and thats in Sosua via the mountain road.

Puerto Plata is not much more using the same road, that has plenty of resort options.

Santiago is inland, it's not on the coast.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
What Robert said

Plus there is no problem with taking a Metro or Caribe Tour bus to or from Puerto Plata or Sos?a. They understand "Santiago" and " Puerto Plata" and even "Sos?a" if you say it more or less right.

Depending on where your father lives in Santiago, either the Metro or the Caribe Tour will be fairly close to his house and taxis are only RD$70 to get most places... It is really pretty easy.

Don't sweat it.

HB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
So what if you have to travel more than one hour to see your dad, you will see him once a year anyway. Its not you make a trip to him everyweek. If it were my father, I would see him every week even if he lived 5 hours away from me. My mom is sick and I see her every 3 months in USA and spend 2 weeks with her everytime. I make money in pesos and spend in dollars. So its not so easy to just get up and go. The pleasure she receives in seeing me worth more than any money in the world. Think of it like that. Don't make a big fuss over 1 hr or 2 hours, go see your dad and let him have the pleasure of seeing your face. Hug him and let him know how much you love him.
Just my opinion.
AZB

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Back to the original question, the RIU resorts in Maimon (about 10km west of Puerto Plata) are the closest hotels on the water near Santiago. From the roundabout at Ochoa Motors you can make this in 40 minutes, taking the road via Navarette.

The RIU resorts are very good quality, probably on top of list for resorts on the North Coast.

There is the RIU Merengue, RIU Mambo, and RIU Bachata, each about 500-600 rooms.

Last edited: