Food and Casa Marina

msugirl

Apr 16, 2004
I just finished reading a trip review of Casa Marina Beach and this guy stated that when he got back from vacation his girlfriend found out that she had typhoid fever from food poisoning at the hotel. SCARY. I am going there in three weeks so I was just wondering if any one else has had problem with the food at this hotel????

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Casa Marina

msugirl said:
I just finished reading a trip review of Casa Marina Beach and this guy stated that when he got back from vacation his girlfriend found out that she had typhoid fever from food poisoning at the hotel. SCARY. I am going there in three weeks so I was just wondering if any one else has had problem with the food at this hotel????
Casa Marina's reputation for food has always been decent.
It's not 5 star gourmet dining, but it could hardly survive as a business if it was common to poison it's clients.
I know how bad typhoid fever can be, as I have had it once before. It can be the food that caused it, but it could also be that she drank water from the tap.
I wouldn't worry about your trip being ruined by having the same experience as this woman did.
If it were a common occurence, you would find all the guests sick in their beds.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Our doctors advise we are up to date with Typhoid vaccinations anyway

Friends of mine have stayed at that hotel and told me that they were quite impressed by the food there.

Enjoy yourself!

xiv

Mar 29, 2004
Are you talking about the Casa Marina Bay in Samana?

msugirl said:

Are you talking about the Casa Marina Bay in Samana? I'm going there in June also...

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I've been to both, in Sosua and Semana...both places were fine. Again, not gourmet dining, but pretty good for variety and taste.

msugirl

Apr 16, 2004
sorry for the confusion...it is Casa Marina Beach in Sosua...

Thanks for the replies everyone..I am not looking for gourmet..just something to help the hangovers... :nervous:

Boh

Jan 3, 2002
My wife and I stayed at Casa Marina Beach last January. We thought the food was quite good for an al-inclusive. Neither of us got sick and my wife usually does when we travel. Enjoy your vacation!

Hewbaby36

Apr 25, 2004
MSUgirl

msugirl said:

MSUGIRL when will you be going to Casa Marina? My wife and I are going down May 14-17th. Let me know more about the typhoid case. hewbaby36@hotmail.com
Thanks Matt

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
msugirl said:
sorry for the confusion...it is Casa Marina Beach in Sosua...

Thanks for the replies everyone..I am not looking for gourmet..just something to help the hangovers... :nervous:

...ah, then look for the made-to-order omlettes at the breakfast buffet, if you flirt a little with the cook he will make it extra special for ya.....mmmmmm yummy and it works on the hangover.

I have also been to Casa Marina Reef (and Beach) in Sos?a and Casa Marina Bay in Saman?, and I agree with Trina one hundred percentavos.

msugirl

Apr 16, 2004
Hewbaby36 said:
MSUGIRL when will you be going to Casa Marina? My wife and I are going down May 14-17th. Let me know more about the typhoid case. hewbaby36@hotmail.com
Thanks Matt

Hey Matt...sent you the link in an email...there you will find plenty of reviews on the resort..most of them are good so I am sure you will have a great vacation...Have fun...

msugirl

Apr 16, 2004
Nelly said:
...ah, then look for the made-to-order omlettes at the breakfast buffet, if you flirt a little with the cook he will make it extra special for ya.....mmmmmm yummy and it works on the hangover.

I have also been to Casa Marina Reef (and Beach) in Sos?a and Casa Marina Bay in Saman?, and I agree with Trina one hundred percentavos.

Nelly...I will definately check out the omelletes...if I can get out of bed in time :nervous: ...thanks for the tip!

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
another tip...get up early, go to breakfast then go back to sleep for the rest of the morning on a lounger under an umbrella on the beach :)

emendoza

Mar 16, 2004
A typhoid vaccination is recommended before traveling to the DR (and lots of other places). It's a good idea to be current on all your shots before you travel to a developing country (Hep A & B, tetanus, typhoid, polio). I'm getting my typhoid shot tomorrow!

sunnyhammock

Nov 16, 2003
Food

Hi, I havent stayed at the Casa Marina but over the past four months I have met quite a few English people who have. None of them have complained about the food, just that it gets very boring. We suggested that they try the Square and Compass in Sosua 'high street', its run by an English guy called Chris and he has Roast Dinners on Wednesdays which are wonderful! He also does authentic Indian curries all at reasonable rates. If you fancy a change from the regimented ways of an all inclusive venture out in the town, you will be perfectly safe and there are some great restaurants to eat at and they are not all expensive!
Hope you all have a great time in this wonderful country!

msugirl

Apr 16, 2004
sunnyhammock said:
Hi, I havent stayed at the Casa Marina but over the past four months I have met quite a few English people who have. None of them have complained about the food, just that it gets very boring. We suggested that they try the Square and Compass in Sosua 'high street', its run by an English guy called Chris and he has Roast Dinners on Wednesdays which are wonderful! He also does authentic Indian curries all at reasonable rates. If you fancy a change from the regimented ways of an all inclusive venture out in the town, you will be perfectly safe and there are some great restaurants to eat at and they are not all expensive!
Hope you all have a great time in this wonderful country!

I will keep those places in mind..roast yummy...we will definately be venturing off the resort...I spent a day in Sosua in March when I was in the DR and have no worries about safety in the town...plus it isn't a true vacation until you leave your resort. thanks for the tip...

sunnyhammock

Nov 16, 2003
msugirl said:
I will keep those places in mind..roast yummy...we will definately be venturing off the resort...I spent a day in Sosua in March when I was in the DR and have no worries about safety in the town...plus it isn't a true vacation until you leave your resort. thanks for the tip...

Hi, just tell Chris that Elaine and Gary recommended him, you may get extra stuffing!!

Aliciaaa

May 3, 2004
msugirl said:

hey!! I went to Casa Marina a couple times and I was very impressed by the food..of course the buffet restaurant remains a buffet so not always hot stuff....but the italian, mexican and seafood were excellent I find! Like everyone says..it's not a 5 ***** hotel but you should not worry about the food there..plus you are right next to sosua town where there are many good restaurants...not too expensive...I adoooore this hotel...beach is clean..food's good..entertainment wow!! good shows....So enjoy yourself!!!

Fodder

Sep 16, 2004
I came just arrived back from Casa Marina Reef yesterday, and for anyone else who may be worried about the food....

Before I went, I was worried that the food might be the let down of the holiday, but I was glad to be proven wrong. My and the g/f thought the food was great, although towards the end of the two weeks it did become rather boring.

Along side the ususal buffet trays, we learnt that the best thing that you coud do was check what the chef was cooking fresh. As mentioned above the omlettes were great, and I like the idea of choosing what you want in them, and then he'd cook them up for you.

The Seascape was amazing, try the mixed grill for two people, and we loved the lasagna in Luigis (with a plate of chips of course!!)