Vaccinations

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
When i first went to the DR 6 years ago a lot of people were telling us to take Malaria tablets (even the doctors). However when we got to the DR we were told that it was not necessary.

So.............what vaccinations are needed? My friends are coming with us for the first time on June 8th (and they aren't keen on needles :)).

The ones that the doctors tell us we need are

- Typhoid

- Hepatitus B (I think they say 'B')

- Tetanus

- Polio (not a vaccination)

Thanks

tigre72

May 6, 2003
Jabs

Hi Tired boy,
When we first went to DR in 2001 we had Hep B, Typhoid Jabs and Polio by mouth, which are recommended and I would definately tell your friends to have as the sanitary and water are not clean in certain places.
I also had Tetanus (but had huge allergic reaction to tetanus, apparently my GP said I was still covered by the one I had at school at the age of 15! And hadn't needed another one!)
With ref to Malaria-if you go on UK health website it says to take Anti-malarial pills ANYWHERE in Dom Rep and Haiti. (cautious Brits!) On the other hand if you go onto US Health website it says only take pills if going near Haitian Borders/Jungle.

Personally, we took them (Avloclor) the first time we went and as we were near the beach never got bitten anyway, actually I never saw one mosquito, just larger flies. The second time I took them and my hubbie didn't, I never got bitten once! This time (we are off in 9 days) neither of us are taking tablets. We are however just in case taking the pills with us as apparently if you show signs of malaria you can actually take the pills to reduce the symptoms before getting help. This will never happen but I am a born worrier!!

If your friends do decide to get the jabs- tell them to take the boosters 6 months after (which will give them full immunisation for 10 years), it's worth it. If they don't have the booster the effectiveness of jabs will wear off after one year.

Hope this helps

tired_boy said:
When i first went to the DR 6 years ago a lot of people were telling us to take Malaria tablets (even the doctors). However when we got to the DR we were told that it was not necessary.

So.............what vaccinations are needed? My friends are coming with us for the first time on June 8th (and they aren't keen on needles :)).

The ones that the doctors tell us we need are

- Typhoid

- Hepatitus B (I think they say 'B')

- Tetanus

- Polio (not a vaccination)

Thanks

Hel

Aug 4, 2003
Hiya

My boyfriend and I are coming to DR on Monday. I had to have Typhoid and Hepatitis A. It wasn't bad as they now do a 2 in 1 vaccination for those two. We are also taking the malaria tablets, better to be save than sorry even if there isn't much of a risk! My boyfriend had to have a couple more then me just because they had run out from his school days! These were Tetanus and Polio. I am still covered for these two.

I don't know if what vaccines you have to have differs as to which country you come from, but we are from England.

Hope this helps.

tigre72

May 6, 2003
Malaria

Hi Hel,
I really wouldn't bother with the anti-malarial tablets. If you are staying anywhere apart from the Haitian Border or the Jungle there have been no instances of malaria in the last 10 years at least.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Shots needed.

I am from Canada and my doctor recommended I get all the shots for Hepatitis and an up-to-date booster. I have been to the DR several times and have been covered with mosquito bites (I was staying in el campo not at a resort/hotel) and have never worried about taking Malaria pills/shots (taking the vaccine for Malaria can be very unpleasant).

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Thanks for the link Dolores

Dolores said:
See http://dr1.com/travel/prepare/health.shtml for Travel Health recommendations.

The reason why i posted this thread was because of the contradictions between my GP and some that i have spoke to in the DR. As i was saying, the doctor recommends malaria tablets whereas in the DR some have said that they are really unecessary.

I was trying to find a out from ones who actually have first hand experiences.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
To help you decide, note this bit of information...

Malaria shots are not recommended to Dominicans or Dominican residents. If malaria were an issue here, don't you think Dominican pediatricians and physicians would include them in the list of regular vaccinations? For instance, hepatitis B vaccines are recommended. My suggestion... do as Dominicans do.

Check on the Internet and the side effects of the malaria prevention that is available today are much worse and more real than the very very very minimal risk of contracting the disease when visiting.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Yep, i know about the malaria issue, i just wondered if the same went for any of the other vaccinations that are 'recommended'.

Ta

tigre72

May 6, 2003
Hi again Tired boy,

The advice I was first given was full of contradictions as well. I think doctors in the UK are generally over cautious about giving people advice on taking malaria drugs. When I was there I asked the nurse and she looked at a world disease map/chart and said we do need to take tablets. I asked her if that applied to The North Coast and she said "Well, I think so, the chart just says all of the DR". The US health web sites say you don't have to take anti-malarial drugs and I figure that because they are geographically nearer they will know more about the country.

We have ended up taking advice from people who have actually been there or work there. The people we have asked say there haven't been any cases of Malaria in the DR for many many years.

The first year we went to the DR we took the tablets and it was not fun. Felt pretty dizzy for the next day or two and matched with a touch of delhi belly it is not fun. Plus they taste absolutely gross!! Worse than Stop 'n' Grow.
You can't take them with water, it has to be something with a strong flavour like milk or juice!

Good luck!

Dec 9, 2002
tired_boy said:
i just wondered if the same went for any of the other vaccinations that are 'recommended'. Ta
That's all they are - recommended. You know us Brits, better safe than sorry. Just get the jabs, if nothing else, it's one less thing to worry about. I wouldn't bother with the anti malarials though, as has already been said unless you are in the jungle or planning on visiting Haiti, they are unnecessary. Besides which, they taste vile.

emendoza

Mar 16, 2004
We took Chloroquine for Belize & my hubby had a tough time (nausia, dizzy, all-around yucky feeling). We both had bizarre dreams. I say to avoid the malaria tabs unless you're near Haiti or in jungles. We're going to Samana & will not be taking any. I've also heard you can take garlic tabs & vitamin B12 so the mosquitoes won't want to bite you (read directions on B12 though--dont' take too much!).

emendoza

Mar 16, 2004
Correction

Just came from the travel nurse--it's vitamin B1 (thaiamine) that acts as a natural mosquito repellent (not B12 as I previously indicated)--take 300 mg per day (or 100 mg 3 times per day) beginning 2 days prior to exposure. Do not exceed 3 weeks continuous use of Vitamin B1. If you don't perspire much this may not work as well. Also, wear light colored clothing.

Also don't underestimate garlic tabs--they're starting to do research on garlic & mosquitoes due to West Nile Virus here in the midwest US.

I wouldn't take the malaria pills unless you're in that area near Haiti.