Papera sickness

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
anybody know what this is? my 2-year old has it. bad fever. swollen glands. sore throat. not your regular flu or sore throat. we gave him the medication for it, and hopefully it will work, but can anybody fill me in. is it serious? is it tropical? thanks.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Paperas is measles. This is not tropical, this is part of growing up.

Today you can vaccinate against it. But my experience is that with vaccine or without vaccine, children will get it. I vaccinated one of my sons, the other two were not vaccinated. The one that had the vaccine suffered a more severe case of measles than the ones that were not.

Children usually pick up measles from school classmates. It runs around in pre-school.

They get over it quickly, and it's done for. For sure there is lots on measles on the internet you can read about.

See http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/measles.html

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
ok thanks. his fever broke.

Dolores said:
Paperas is measles. This is not tropical, this is part of growing up.

Today you can vaccinate against it. But my experience is that with vaccine or without vaccine, children will get it. I vaccinated one of my sons, the other two were not vaccinated. The one that had the vaccine suffered a more severe case of measles than the ones that were not.

Children usually pick up measles from school classmates. It runs around in pre-school.

They get over it quickly, and it's done for. For sure there is lots on measles on the internet you can read about.

See http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/measles.html

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Measles jabs

Always, always, always vaccinate your child against measles. I was one of the first people in the world to have the jab. For over twenty years I was contacted every year by the public health laboratory in the UK to check up on weather or not I had contracted the disease. In that time nobody on the programme contracted measles or (as far as I'm aware) suffered any ill effects. They still monitor some of the original "guinea pigs". I do not believe that you can contract it if you have been immunised. Measles is one of the few diseases in the world that can and should be confined to history.

Have you any idea of the consequences of contracting the disease later on in life, as a small baby or during pregnancy?

There is some talk in the UK that the triple jab MMR can cause autism in children. If you are at all concerned then just have one jab at a time. Mumps causes sterlilty after puberty, and I don't even want to think about the consequences for a girl contracting Rubella (German Measles) during pregnancy. You owe it to your children. I find it hard to believe that in this day and age people are prepared to take such a risk with their childs health.

I'm so glad that you child is OK but for one in every few thousands the disease can leave children desperately damaged for the rest of their lives.

Please spread the word - immunise your child now - especially if the disease is currently around. It is very highly contageous.

I don't think I have ever posted a reply with such a serious tone - I don't want to alarm people but please think about this very seriously.

Simon

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
Paperas is NOT Measles.

Paperas is NOT measles. Paperas or parotiditis in English is Mumps.
Indeed a childhood disease but entirely different from measles. Mumps is an acute, contagious, viral disease that causes painful enlargement of the salivary or parotid glands.

Measles, also called rubeola, is best known for its typical skin rash. It is, however, primarily a respiratory infection. The first symptoms are irritability, runny nose, eyes that are red and sensitive to light, hacking cough, and a fever as high as 105 degrees Fahrenheit (40.6 degrees Celsius).

Sounds like your kid may have measles, not paperas. Dolores is right on the money with her post.
-Tordok