Where do you shop for food

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
I have always done my food shopping at La Sirena Supermarket. It was my belief that a store this big should have better prices because of the ability to buy bulk quantities. But the other day, my wife asked me to go to Nacional Supermarket to get a few items on sale. So I took the opportunity to do the bi-weekly shopping while I was there. Now, I normally spend around 4,000 pesos on this bi-weekly event but my bill at Nacional came to 7,300 pesos. Granted I had a few items I don't normally buy but I think I wound up paying at least 1,500 pesos more than I normally do. But maybe it's just me. And my math was a little fuzzy.

I'd like to ask those that have been longer in DR than I have, where do you shop for food? I like to do 1 big shopping spree and suppliment it with visits to the local Bodega to buy other items as needed thru the month.

Or do you recommend splitting it up between two different places?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In Santiago

For pork and beef: Productos Sosua on Bartolom? Colon. Always RD$10-20 a pound less expensive.

For once-a-month purchases: Price Smart

For hard-t-find-items: Nacional, but with discipline. Pola is a good second choice, but they are very limited and litte exotic cooking stuff.

Daily stuff: Supermercado Victoria, more for convenience than anything else, but they are struggling after the former owner tried his hand at day trading...with other people's money...Some of their sections are very understocked. They do make good, inexpensive sandwiches, however.

HB

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
double check on prices

I went back to old reciepts and noticed a few peso difference in prices on some items and I am planning on seeing if it's worth the time to split up the shopping between the two places. Since I don't drive, I have to take the extra cab fare into account, which isn't much, but the extra time to go from place to place might not be worth the headache.

Where is price smart located?

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
santanatwins said:
I went back to old reciepts and noticed a few peso difference in prices on some items and I am planning on seeing if it's worth the time to split up the shopping between the two places. Since I don't drive, I have to take the extra cab fare into account, which isn't much, but the extra time to go from place to place might not be worth the headache.

Where is price smart located?

Have you tried Bravo? Right beside La Sirena (Multi Centro), if we?re talking about Santo Domingo of course! I think their prices are even better than La Sirena and they have a good selection of imported products. They carry Canadian products (IGA) and I love their Chinese section?you can find it all, and make your own egg rolls!!! Mmmm? :knockedou

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey! These folks live in Santiago

I used to shop for Christmas in Santo Domingo but not any more!

Better prices here, some of the time.

There are a few other places with limited offering that have even better prices. Salvador Sadhl? has a place on Bartolom? Colon, near the old airport that has good prices on some items...

HB

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Love to shop

I also recommend Bravo Supermarket on Winston Churchill in Santo Domingo. They have the IGA products which are a good alternative to the most expensive name brands. Also they cater to the Spanish community and as a result, they have excellent Spanish products.

Since I am staying in Sto. Dom. for an extended period of time, I have visited all the supermarkets also looking for better prices. I find that it is "six of one, half a dozen of the other". Some things are a little higher and some things a little lower but it all balances out at the end.

Juniper