Removing Cataract from Eyes

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
For the information of anyone who might be troubled by cataracts, my wife, Barbara, is in the process of having them removed from both eyes. Her surgeon is Dr. Carlino Gonzalez, if not the best then one of the 2 or 3 best eye surgeons in the DR. The total price per eye is US$950, including the replacement lens (said to be the best available in the world), the operation, and 2 months of post-operation examinations. The first was removed on Wednesday, the other will be taken off next Wednesday. No hospitalization is required for the operation, though there are restrictions on movement and physical activity.

I have no idea what the cost would be in the US, but I'd bet a lot that it is quite a bit more.

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
Ken said:
For the information of anyone who might be troubled by cataracts, my wife, Barbara, is in the process of having them removed from both eyes. Her surgeon is Dr. Carlino Gonzalez, if not the best then one of the 2 or 3 best eye surgeons in the DR. The total price per eye is US$950, including the replacement lens (said to be the best available in the world), the operation, and 2 months of post-operation examinations. The first was removed on Wednesday, the other will be taken off next Wednesday. No hospitalization is required for the operation, though there are restrictions on movement and physical activity.

I have no idea what the cost would be in the US, but I'd bet a lot that it is quite a bit more.

Are they using the same new flexible lens that is being used in the US? That is the one that will eliminate the need for any glasses post op?

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Hi Ken, sorry I havent had time to see you 2, life has been manic but the works are nearly complete. I know a elderly DR lady that has just had this done and she has been told to rest for 2 months, is recovery really that long?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ladybird, perhaps the instructions given the lady were specific to her physical condition.

Barbara was told that starting the day after the operation she can live her normal life, with a few cautions until told otherwise by the doctor:

1. Avoid rubbing the eye or being struck in the eye

2. Avoid sudden movements with the head

3. Don't pick up objects weighing more than 5 pounds.

4. No makeup around eyes for 2 weeks

5. No submerge head in rivers, ocean, or swimming pool for 2 month. Likewise no saunas for 1 month

6. Avoid such sports as socccer, basketball, boxing, karate, etc., for 2 weeks.

7. Use sun glasses and avoid envirnments contaminated with dust and smoke.

Otherwise, live a completely normal life starting one day after operation.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Small incision, no suture cataract surgery is very common now days.
Most people are back to normal in a few hours.

I used to work with an Ophthalmologist that used to do around 1,200 procedures per year with very few complications. That was 8-10 years ago, technology and techniques have moved along ten fold.

Barb, congratulations on your new eyes :)

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Speedy Recovery!

Ken,

Tell Barb that Mr. and Mrs. Appleman wish her a speedy recovery. Hope everything turns out just the way you want it to.

Bob H.

MaryS

Feb 13, 2003
Ken, Please tell Barbara we'll be thinking about her. Make sure she follows doctor's orders. Mary & Alan

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Ken tell Barbara to take it easy! And here is a joke to cheer her up!!

A Japanese man is having trouble seeing so he goes to the Eye Doctor.
The Doctor does a complete Eye Exam,and annouces to the man that he has a "Cataract"!
"No,No,No"says the man,"I drive a "Rincoln"! :rolleyes: CCCCCCCCCCCC

Harmony

Apr 18, 2002
Costly Cataracts

I have no idea what the cost would be in the US, but I'd bet a lot that it is quite a bit more.[/QUOTE]

I had both done about six months ago in the US. $4,500 for each eye... That's $9,000 total. No wonder our insurance system is so screwed up.

Harmony

toby

Dec 8, 2003
ever thought to consider Canada next time...

Harmony said:

I had both done about six months ago in the US. $4,500 for each eye... That's $9,000 total. No wonder our insurance system is so screwed up.

Harmony[/QUOTE]

I am currently negotiating with our eye doctor here in Canada to accept a patient from the US for the removal of cataracts in both eyes. Our family eye doctor/surgeon routinely accepts patients from the US as long as the patient pays the hospital rates and the doctors fees for surgery. Per eye and treatments is about $1000 (per eye) and the hospital fees are between $350-$400 dollars.(Canadian Dollars). The US patient like Canadian patients is then put on a waiting list and the wait has been up to 9 months in length. The encouraging point is that cataracts for the most part are slow growing and you can schedule your surgery done as the cataract progresses.(you have the time to shop around and schedule your life as to the appointments and surgery times months in advance) The process is generally a small number of visits to the eye surgeon, the first is the accessment, then an eye mesurement, pre hospital assessment (done at the hospital) the the day surgery (usually takes half the day/but at most less then 15 minutes of acctual surgery time), an immediate post operative eye exam the day after surgery(yes they will schedule this one even on Sat or sundays), then medicine will be perscribed and then after a month you should see your home eye doctor for an eye accessment and glasses perscription where necessary.
My father in law who lives with our family just completed the surgery on both eyes (in his case done four weeks apart). We waited the 9 months without worry and his vision is as good or better then when he was 18 years old. He will this week celebrate his 79th birthday.
The only frustration he had was the necessity of eye drops done every two hours for the first week after surgery, these consisting of a prednason (SP?), topical steriod treatment, and a anti baterical eye wash medication, both costing approx $21 dollars for the meds per eye. A small amount for protection. If you are as elderly as he and have arthritis have someone assist with these drops. They can make a difference in the finaly vision assessments and decrease the possiblities of infection and or complications.
If you can see your way up here to Canada you may find you can save alot of money.
I have to confess how ever that other medical and elective surgeries here in Canada are very slow in scheduling (so much so that we are considering going to the states for "Poppa's prostate surgery), but can vouch from recent personal experience that for "Poppa" his view of life has really really brightened!
Toby
P.S. Just to be clear Poppa is a Canadian citizen so the only charge for the surgery was for the post operative medications ($21) and one unscheduled eye doctors appointment/non-OHIP (due to diabetic complications) that cost us $84. We in Canada have a universal health care system. If this thread is still open I will post on my US frind's success in recieving treatment. She is from the Northern United States and is lucky enough to have family here and can come by train for the subsequent visits required. And just to let you know while "Poppa" had his surgery I waited in the waiting room with a family from India, a couple from Brazil and a gentlemen from Bierut who had all flown in for this treatment. Word of good work does get around!

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Ken

My best wishes to Barbara for a speedy recovery.
Yes, although we may have to wait sometimes for non-emergency health care, not having to pay for non-cosmetic surgery more than makes up for the cold, long winters!!!
An added note - raging snow/ice storm here in NW Ontario today May 11/04!!!
Marlie

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
A Pun

I knew a Chinese guy who got run over by a luxury car and had a Cataract in his eye.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
KEN
I've missed this thread. I send my best to Barbara and tell her she's in my thoughts and prayers.
Keep us posted

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Second eye done today. Again all went smoothly.

Dr. Gonzalez schedules his cataract operations for Wednesday mornings. Did at least 10 this morning.

Got an itemized bill for the first operation. I was interested to see that US$150 of the US$950 went for the lens, US$70 for the anesthesiologist, and US$225 for the surgeon. Now I know it has to cost less here than in the US.