Virus.....Warning,Alert!!!!!!!!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
For the first time ever,make that two times ever,I have recieved a VIRUS!(Computer VIRUS that is!)
They were in my "Yahoo" bulk mail bin.One was from the DR!The other from a Virginia.ed.I always scan before downloading,and they both came back as "infected"!
The Message on both was: "Important Document"

Cris Colon

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I get so many of those per day, your document\ look what they said about you\ this info about you ect ect. Norton deletes them.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
You can't tell who is sending you the infected emails anymore, the return address is a random address, sometimes copied from your address book, sometimes from someone else's.

The latest one I've been getting is supposedly from "Christy@descuentoelectronico.com" says she's lonely and needs lovin', and the virus is in a file that looks like a picture of her but has the famous double extension and infects our stuff if you insist on trying to open it.

The thing is I administer Descuentoelectronico.com and I know there is no username "Christy".

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I get these same messages, several times per day. Although I've never opened one of them, they get deleted as soon as they arrive, many people say they received this message from me. Good rule of thumb is to not open anything, anything at all, unless it is from someone you know, and even then, virus scan it before opening...it only takes a couple of seconds to scan it.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Does anyone else get about 10 or more Yahoo Bulk Emails a day

Regarding "Nail Fungus"?Any way to stop these? Not the "Nail Fungus",the E-Mails!!!!! CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC :laugh:

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
I have heavy filters on my email, so i rarely get junk mail, but i'm having problems with phishing emails. Boy, you really have to be alert on those.

The first time I got one, supposedly from PayPal, I logged on from the email content. While it was loading to IE, I noticed a very quick redirect to another URL, then back to Paypal's supposed URL.

I immediately went in to Paypal and changed my password and secret question, which is becoming more and more mandatory with changing your password.

CC: Speaking of nail fungus, my son and I both picked this up in DR this past January.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I just got a "Hello" message from

jose99@codetel.net.do

which contained a bad virus.
fortunately, yahoo detected it on scanning. i message(with his attachment) back to the SOB with the message hoping it would destroy his computer

i HATE people like that.

Texas Bill

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Criss Colon said:
Regarding "Nail Fungus"?Any way to stop these? Not the "Nail Fungus",the E-Mails!!!!! CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC :laugh:

I don't know about that, but I used to get about 25 e-mails per day on how to increase my penis size! And the only way it stopped was closing down that e-mail address and opening a new one.

Subscribing to sites will get your name on all those spam lists, whatever you do, never subscribe to a site like Babyzone (not that you would Criss, but for others reading)...that will get you more spam than your mailbox can handle! This is the only site I subscribe to now, and NO MORE SPAM!!! Yippee!!!

But as for this message:
I just got a "Hello" message from

jose99@codetel.net.do

which contained a bad virus.
fortunately, yahoo detected it on scanning. i message(with his attachment) back to the SOB with the message hoping it would destroy his computer

i HATE people like that.

it was likely his computer sending it without his knowledge, not him. His system may have a virus and he has no idea that it's sending out random messages trying to pass the virus along. I'm no computer guru, so hopefully someone "in the know" will confirm this.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
FYI I open NOTHING without scanning it FIRST!!!

That's the ONLY way to avoid getting infected!
Also, ANY email coming to the "junk"/"Bulk" folders gets eliminated, REGARDLESS!

Texas Bill

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
trina said:
it was likely his computer sending it without his knowledge, not him. His system may have a virus and he has no idea that it's sending out random messages trying to pass the virus along. I'm no computer guru, so hopefully someone "in the know" will confirm this.

It's actually one step more complicated than that. As of the last 3 or 4 mass email worms the sender's address is not the one the email came from, but as I mentioned above, a random address from the address book of the sender.

You can be sure that the address of the sender is the one person you did NOT get the virus from. Somebody he sent an email or that sent him one sometime in his life saw that adress in his address book and made it look like that's who the email was from. This makes it harder to track down the virus cause you can't just call the person up and say "hey, your machine has a virus and it's sending out all these emails".

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Trina - yes, it could be a virus that is sending the codetel email. But also codetel's email name has been hijacked by i think a group out of Asia. Many spam emails are coming from codetel and MY ISP has blocked all mail coming from them.

But what concerns me about what Texas Bill did is the Codetel email could have just been plain spam. The spammers have a program that randomly enters all combinations of usernames to Bill's ISP email address. What happens is they wait to see what emails are actually valid. This occurs if you open the email or click on some URL, OR RESPOND TO IT, like Bill did. Once he responds, he will be inundated with more spam. So, don't ever respond to spam. Delete it without opening it.

Mark1

Mar 17, 2004
first of all, never open attachments before you are sure they are not infected.
If you are not using a prog. that delete them the very moment you download your email, then you have to save them to the disk and run an antivirus .

If you are using outlook express, disable the preview window : go to tools > options > Read , uncheck 'Automatically download message when.....", this way you'll avoid to download malicious Activex on your Pc. (web pages might have it in their code)

If you still want to see the preview, simply hit your space bar when the message 's highlighted/selected.

Get rid of Explorer, and install Mozilla Firefox (Explorer is very easy to hack).
Install and Run Ad-Aware 6.0 by Lavasoft (it will detectand delete all those nasty spyware progs you pick up during your surfing)

people don't realize that even surfing the web can be pretty dangerous .

I've been hit by a virus-dialer, I knew that dial-up connections were a target for this kind of virus, but this one uses Broadband to connect to a number somewhere and it costs you several $ a minute.
YES I said it uses broadband, it seems impossible ,but this is what happens.
It was an activex downloaded from a web site!!!!