Escape Route from the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Iguana

May 2, 2004
Let me prefice this by saying, I am not a pessimist, but maybe a futurist. I like being prepared for the worst-case scenario.

Imagine for a moment, if you will, that the bottom fell out of the economy in the United States, because of, for instance: more terrorist attacks, businesses continue to close down (going overseas), gasoline prices continue to rise, etc. And then people begin to panic.
I'm not saying that "chaos in the streets" in every Small Town,USA is going to happen (that would be worst-case scenario). But imagine that the US got to a certain point and people began to feel like they needed to take action to protect their family and future.

My question is this, "If citizens felt like they needed to flee the US, where is the best country to go and why?" And, "How does one prepare themselves for that move (bank accounts, owning land, becoming a citizen, etc.)

Is the DR the best option? Or are there other countries that would be better and why?

I know that I may be setting myself up to be slammed by experienced DR1ers, but I was trying to come up with an idea to start a thread and this was it.

Thanks,
W.I.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Don't forget, when the US sneezes, the DR catches a cold. You are not 100% isolated from US problems here, plus the DR has it's own set of problems.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
It's interesting that you posed this question. Outside of our immediate family, no one knows the secondary reason we bought a house in the DR.

Primarily, we bought like everyone else: we loved the DR, we want to semi-retire here, etc., etc.

Secondary to this. We began thinking after 9/11, what would we do if the US was not safe to live in. Because we work in the nuclear industry, our thoughts were terrorist attack to nearby nuclear sites, with the resulting plume slowly making its way to our area. Multiple nuclear plant attacks and fallout could be in any direction. Hence, we needed a place to go outside the US.

I'm not going in to detail on all of our preparations from a financial end, but one other thing I did was to give my son a credit card and learn the exact flight to take to leave college immediately and meet us in the DR.

I'm not saying the DR is the best place - but it's a short-term solution for us.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
In a haulocost scenario I would much rather be in the US than the DR. Dominicans can't even be civilized waiting in line for movie tickets. Imagine if it was a line for the last canned food in the stores.

White Iguana

May 2, 2004
Very interesting JanH. I glad that there are DR1ers that might feel the same way I do. I'm eager to hear what others think and have to say.

Robert and MrMike - Thanks for not slamming the newcomer.

White Iguana

May 2, 2004
Hey CyaBye - I've done some research on you and it seems that you spend most of your time in "The Clown Bin". Let's keep it that way and leave these threads open for intellects.

Again, this is a hypothetical question.

interesting

After the ww2, europe recived the socalled "marshall-aid" from US this is something most of europe hasnt forgotten about. If the worst scenario would break out, im sure all of europe would do everything to help the US.

I wouldnt be sleepless if i was you. :classic:

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
White Iguana said:
Let me prefice this by saying, I am not a pessimist, but maybe a futurist. I like being prepared for the worst-case scenario.

Imagine for a moment, if you will, that the bottom fell out of the economy in the United States, because of, for instance: more terrorist attacks, businesses continue to close down (going overseas), gasoline prices continue to rise, etc. And then people begin to panic.
I'm not saying that "chaos in the streets" in every Small Town,USA is going to happen (that would be worst-case scenario). But imagine that the US got to a certain point and people began to feel like they needed to take action to protect their family and future.

My question is this, "If citizens felt like they needed to flee the US, where is the best country to go and why?" And, "How does one prepare themselves for that move (bank accounts, owning land, becoming a citizen, etc.)

Is the DR the best option? Or are there other countries that would be better and why?

I know that I may be setting myself up to be slammed by experienced DR1ers, but I was trying to come up with an idea to start a thread and this was it.

Thanks,
W.I.

The funny part is the bottom has already fallen out of the economy here.

US of A

gringo in dr said:
The funny part is the bottom has already fallen out of the economy here.

Ouch. yes it has, im all in tears- where did i put my dusty violin...!

Nop, cant find it, well there is nothing else to do than have another cold beer and be really happy i dont live in the US..

Cheers..... :paranoid:

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Rattus_Rattus said:
Ouch. yes it has, im all in tears- where did i put my dusty violin...!

Nop, cant find it, well there is nothing else to do than have another cold beer and be really happy i dont live in the US..

Cheers..... :paranoid:

Trust me I'm not crying either. You couldn't pay me enough to move back to the states.

Pass me a presidente.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
White Iguana said:

In my experience usually, DR1ers would not slam anyone with a serious question, or an issue that can be discussed rationally. I've done my share of 'newby slamming' but find nothing in your post that makes the 'slam monster' rise up and cause chaos. ;)

Your question however makes me think of a story I heard some years ago - not sure if it is true or not. Anyway, two Brits started looking for their 'ideal' escape and place that they could make a simple living and escape the UK. After much searching and soulsearching, they chose the Falklands, just a year before the war broke out there.

I don't think that one can truly find the ideal 'escape'. I think we can only look for what makes us happy as people and from then onwards, take our chances and roll with the punches. Before we came to the DR, we investigated five other feasible countries and eventually settled on the DR, simply because the fruit and vegetables are good and we don't feel oppressed by a plethora of societal rules and regulations and the people are welcoming and very friendly. Having said that, I also met one of the most nastiest individuals that I could not have dreamt existed, in the DR. I've also met and made truly wonderful friends here. As an escape from the US? the countries are interlinked and very close from one another. If one really wants to escape the US, maybe the Falklands would be a better option. ;)

To prepare for a move to another country (bank accounts etc), speak to a lot of people, do a lot of research, take it slow and don't cut ties to your old country.

White Iguana

May 2, 2004
Chris said:
In my experience usually, DR1ers would not slam anyone with a serious question, or an issue that can be discussed rationally. I've done my share of 'newby slamming' but find nothing in your post that makes the 'slam monster' rise up and cause chaos. ;)

Your question however makes me think of a story I heard some years ago - not sure if it is true or not. Anyway, two Brits started looking for their 'ideal' escape and place that they could make a simple living and escape the UK. After much searching and soulsearching, they chose the Falklands, just a year before the war broke out there.

I don't think that one can truly find the ideal 'escape'. I think we can only look for what makes us happy as people and from then onwards, take our chances and roll with the punches. Before we came to the DR, we investigated five other feasible countries and eventually settled on the DR, simply because the fruit and vegetables are good and we don't feel oppressed by a plethora of societal rules and regulations and the people are welcoming and very friendly. Having said that, I also met one of the most nastiest individuals that I could not have dreamt existed, in the DR. I've also met and made truly wonderful friends here. As an escape from the US? the countries are interlinked and very close from one another. If one really wants to escape the US, maybe the Falklands would be a better option. ;)

To prepare for a move to another country (bank accounts etc), speak to a lot of people, do a lot of research, take it slow and don't cut ties to your old country.

Thanks for your comments

Karl

Jan 1, 2002
gringo in dr said:
Trust me I'm not crying either. You couldn't pay me enough to move back to the states.

Pass me a presidente.

Your probably not allowed back in.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Karl said:
Your probably not allowed back in.

Yeah, I do have quite a record. A couple of speeding tickets which are paid.

Just because a gringo sees that the light is actually coming from the outside, people assume they are not allowed in.

Check out some other countries some time and find out what life is about.

Karl

Jan 1, 2002
gringo in dr said:
Yeah, I do have quite a record. A couple of speeding tickets which are paid.

Just because a gringo sees that the light is actually coming from the outside, people assume they are not allowed in.

Check out some other countries some time and find out what life is about.

Been to many other countries around this world, still always like when i come back home. Funny how you use the word "light" when your living down there with no stable electric.

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
In reply to the original poster, White Iguana,

I have been contemplating this same question for at least 6 years, as I saw the decline coming. There is no ideal answer. I guess you have to ask yourself, what is important for you in your environment--employment, inexpensive real estate, good health care, great weather, etc. A lot of it depends on where you are in life--how old are you and how much have you saved? So far, for myself, I have few choices, as my retirement resources are low. So for me, I must look for cheap real estate first, good health care second and then, if I am lucky, great weather and safety. You can't always get what you want. I wish you luck in your search, and if you find the perfect paradise, let me know. :) I would love to join you. I may have overlooked something.

Tondra

DRshooter

Apr 23, 2004
Not Here!!

If I were planning an escape for the US in an eventual crisis...It would not be DR. When something small happens in the US, we feel it big here. If something that bad happend in the US, you can pretty much bet that we would have pandemonium here within a couple of weeks. That wouldn't be so bad because we Dominicans know how to live in times of crisis. Our BIG BIG problem is haiti next door. The second that they sense weakness on the Dominican Side, there will be a rush of hatians to this side. They are very poor, hungry, and have resentment against Dominicans because they consider this part of the island theirs, to them we are a temporary situation.
In the absence of US intervention, this invation by haiti would probably cause a war as soon as they start killing the lighter skinned people (they've done it before when they invaded multiple times after the war of independence...and they haven't come far in 150 years).
I think in the event of American Colapse...the DR would have to go to war in less than a year.
Maybe I'm just paranoid...but I saw on the news what they do to themselves...Imagine what they do to the people they blame for all of their missfortune.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
yuk

Karl said:
Been to many other countries around this world, still always like when i come back home. Funny how you use the word "light" when your living down there with no stable electric.
Id rather have no stable electric than your unstable President and his cronies. USA is already seriously in debt. The IMF wont lend them any more money. They are grieved that Europe has become so wealthy, and is surely growing, all empires fall, look at history.

pati

Feb 3, 2004
Unlike most who post here I absolutely love the US. If the US economy collapses (which I doubt) paradise in DR may not continue to be paradise for those who live like kings and queens there. Since many of them have bank accounts in the US or have income in US dollars.

If there was a mass exodus to the Dominican Republic it would devastate the country. The country can barely sustain the people it already has. Maybe you haven't noticed most Dominicans live in poverty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.