Proposed solution for the National Debt in DR

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
All of us have our own idea of how things are going to turn out after the election in a few days, but none of us has submitted a clear cut idea of how to pay off the tremendous debt facing this nation.

My proposal is very simple!

1) Fire all the government workers (we can't get anything dine now any way so why even have any?)
That'll free up over ONE Billion in monthly debt.

2) Reduce all the superflous Generals back to where they were before Hippo promoted them. Later eliminate/retire them since they are non-productive anyway.

3) Cut the Armed Forces by 75% present strength.

4) Cut the Police Force by 75% present strength.

5) Cut Immigration Department by 75%.

6) Cut the Aduana by 75%.

7) Make all departments prove they are needed for the benefit of the country; If not needed, eliminate them.

8) Quit giving away the nations public lands/parks for commercializing.

9) Presidential veto of all 'give-away' programs.

10) Once the economy has stabilized, begin to reform the beaurocracy into a truly service organization.

11) Same with the schools.

12) Rebuild/repair roads.

Do the above in order.

Needless to say, I'm a Reformer with an agenda.

It should work as well as any other.

Texas Bill

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
13) Legalize Prostitution and tax it.

14) Additional tax on tourist hotels. The tourists will still come, because it will still be a heck of a bargain than going to any other Caribbean Island, sans Cuba, but Americans have a little trouble getting there.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Can will vote for you Texas Bill

And have NY1 as your VP?

I can be your campaign manager.... :)

Ya'll are heading in the right direction.
Also, increase the salary of the remaining 25% in gov't to
deter corruption. Making them sign a contract that they will be instantaneously fired (during office) if found to have exchanged in corrupt activites, must do jail time (immediately) and must return all monies obtained from salary and "fringe benefits."

All receiptients of Banco Central cash win fall in excess of the FDIC law should also return all funds and serve 1 year jail time for damaging the country so.

Sex outside of marriage should DEFINITELY be taxed. This will create the incentive for fidelity. Taxes should also be levied against men with 3 or more children and doubly, triple taxed if with each additional female he gets pregnate and so on. While still meeting child support payments for each....

There in lies that real breakdown of Dominican society. The lack of respectable role models. I can dream can I?

Lets see how to respond to this
1) Fire all the government workers That'll free up over ONE Billion in monthly debt. - You just killed what little buying strength in the country. I assume you are looking towards privatization. Well can we say more corruption and syndicates.
2) Reduce all the superflous Generals back to where they were before Hippo promoted them. Later eliminate/retire them since they are non-productive anyway.
Good idea

I could agree with that but again what little jobs exist you just stripped away, even though there is no true military threat on the Island and a reduction of force would be ideal and taking a stance as a Neutral country but again you NEED to replace the jobs

Even though they are just as corrupt,reduced police strength just allowed for more crime and lost jobs again.
The immigration dept is a bottleneck as it is and again cutting jobs AGAIN

Cutting the aduana wont help the coruption none, your just killing MORE JOBS though

7) Make all departments prove they are needed for the benefit of the country; If not needed, eliminate them.
Good idea, but very vague

I'll drink to that, even if I dont drink.

The Presidential power needs to be overhauled completely
10) Once the economy has stabilized, begin to reform the beaurocracy into a truly service organization.
After wiping out about 80% of whatever jobs exist as explained above, how in the HELL can you do the things below.

11) Same with the schools. -

Do the above in order.

You are right, you reformed the country ok. Reformed them into caos
now in competition with Haiti as the poorest country in the world.
I would say now that you provided a solution to strip away thousands of what little jobs that exist,

What is the solution to hire those people into your reformed Dominican Republic that you just layed off and how long should this reformation last and finally how would you address taxes which is truly the basis of any economic reform. Not firing half the country???

If you were president, I would say if the Military or the police do not stage a coupe the rest of the fired working class would put a tire around you and set you on fire.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You have all been smoking too much "DOPE"!

Such drastic changes will never take place! There is only one way to make the changes needed to reform this country for the better.The changes must be made from the "Ground Up"!
Educate the children!

And that is much easier said than done! As long as the "White Minority" want to maintain the "Status Quo" in the DR,things will never change!
What woman with a college degree will clean your house for 2000 pesos a month?
So stop with all your "Grand Designs",it just ain't going to happen.Besides,if you reform the DR,and give everyone a "desent" standard of living,most of us would leave,and find another "Poor Pond",where we can be "BIG FISH"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC :cool:

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
sancochojoe said:
Lets see how to respond to this
1) Fire all the government workers That'll free up over ONE Billion in monthly debt. - You just killed what little buying strength in the country. I assume you are looking towards privatization. Well can we say more corruption and syndicates.
Admitedly, that is an overstatement by me.
Let's modify it by stating that if all the superflous, non-productive people were eliminated from the payroll, such would be reduced considerably. Then weed out the incompetants by administering exams which index the actual knowledge of ones job, further reducing the payroll to (hopefully) a more manageable range.
Additionally, while I agree that jobs are extremely important to the economy, I think that the government should not be placed in the position as being the largest provider, as is in the US.

Good idea[/B
I could agree with that but again what little jobs exist you just stripped away, even though there is no true military threat on the Island and a reduction of force would be ideal and taking a stance as a Neutral country but again you NEED to replace the jobs

Again, while I agree that jobs are essential, I can see no reason to support als military establishment of some 40,000 strong and "led" by near 200 General Officers. That equates to a General leading some 200 men each. What do the Colonels, Lt. Colonels, Majors, Captains and Lts. do? To me, you are spending monies needlessly on a lot of "fat" that can be eliminated and still have a very efficient organization. I don't know what the Table of Organization and Equipment consists of for the various Military Establishments, but you can bet that they are bloated way out of proportion to what is actually required of an efficient organization.

Even though they are just as corrupt,reduced police strength just allowed for more crime and lost jobs again.
I disagree that the Police Force actually "prevents" crime. I have never seen any roving patrols in any of the places I have visited. Everyone seems to be hanging around the station house from 9 to 5, then disappearing until the next day. No patrols at night, no true preventive measures being taken.

The imm"igration dept is a bottleneck as it is and again cutting jobs AGAIN
I reitterate, the focus is on efficiency and cutting away the "fat". Why would you support a bloated organization JUST for the purpose of providing "jobs(?)"!

Cutting the aduana wont help the coruption none, your just killing MORE JOBS though
I reitterate, the focus is on efficiency and cutting away the "fat". Why would you support a bloated organization JUST for the purpose of providing "jobs(?)"!

Good idea, but very vague[/B

OK, point taken.
Make each department/subdivision thereof a participant in a "Sundown" law to provide for just that. If they can't fully justify their continuance, then eliminate them.

I'll drink to that, even if I dont drink.

The Presidential power needs to be overhauled completely
After wiping out about 80% of whatever jobs exist as explained above, how in the HELL can you do the things below.

To begin with, I don't think that 80% of the jobs would be eliminated. Maybe in the neighborhood of 30-35%. But, you have to agree, that this government really needs to begin an austerity program that is and will be effective in order to reduce, in part, the huge National Debt that it has created.

11) Same with the schools. -

Do the above in order.

You are right, you reformed the country ok. Reformed them into caos
now in competition with Haiti as the poorest country in the world.
I would say now that you provided a solution to strip away thousands of what little jobs that exist,

C1)What is the solution to hire those people into your reformed Dominican Republic that you just layed off and(C2) how long should this reformation last and finally (C3)how would you address taxes which is truly the basis of any economic reform. (C4)Not firing half the country???
C1) by having competive exams for the jobs to be filled. The job going to the higest score.
C2) could be done within a very short period of time. Say 6 mos.
C3) leave the taxes as they are until a comprehensive study and/or reform could be worked out in an intelligent manner.
C4) If half the country os on the government payroll, how will the economic health of the country survive with one half working productively and the other half on the dole of the government. Someone must make the money to support the other half and government workers certainly don't do that.
If you were president, C5)I would say if the Military or the police do not stage a coupe the rest of the fired working class would put a tire around you and set you on fire.

C5) That may well be the truth of the matter!

Texas Bill

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
I got a better solution

Legalize the trade of illigal drugs and tax Cocain and Heroin a transit fee of 5% the declared value.
One of two things (or both) should happen:
1. We'll Fast become one of the wealthiest nations in the hemisphere, attracting U.S. Capital (Our biggest Cocain market yet).
2. We'll Fast become a real and imminent danger to the U.S., they'll invade and this time we wont fight back for our independence, thus becoming a nation of bloodsuckers (ie.: Puerto Rico).

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
samiam said:
Legalize the trade of illigal drugs and tax Cocain and Heroin a transit fee of 5% the declared value.
One of two things (or both) should happen:
1. We'll Fast become one of the wealthiest nations in the hemisphere, attracting U.S. Capital (Our biggest Cocain market yet).
2. We'll Fast become a real and imminent danger to the U.S., they'll invade and this time we wont fight back for our independence, thus becoming a nation of bloodsuckers (ie.: Puerto Rico).

That'll work!!

Then I can quit paying Income Taxes!!!

:cross-eye :ermm: :classic:

Texas Bill

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Here are some proposals to think about...

T Bill suggested some of the following and I'll elaborate on them to make them work:

Cutting of the Police Force: The fear in this is an increase in crime due to no police presence. So, for 3 month impose a zero tolerance judicial system where anyone that is arrested for any criminal activity (being illegal in the country to killing someone) will be subjected to a 30 minutes trial. In 30 minutes, the defendant would need to present a very clear justification for his or her crime, if not convincive in 30 minutes, death penalty is imposed. Also, print a daily list on all the papers of the names of people in death row. Watch the crime rate drop to near zero. Then, after scaring the hell out of the population, you can cut the Police force a bit.

Cutting the Armed Forces: This is good. What ever Armed Forces are left should be reasign to watch the border region for illegal immigration and other activities. Each guard should sign a contract stating that if he or she are not doing their job correctly, they will receive expulsion from the country or death penalty. That would ensure that they stop the people that need to be stoped and not let illegals into the country.

In addition to all of that, I would also support a legalization of the following:

Brothel prostitution: Excellent tax revenue source and a good way of keeping a slight control on Sexually Transmitted Diseases.

Taxation of Religious Organizations: If the church feels that they do have a say in Dominican Politics, than Dominican politics do have a say in taxing the church. Besides, the church is a multi-million dollar organization, all that money can't be left untampered with in a poor country. Sorry God, but what has to be done has to be done!

Absentee Corporate Taxes: Since large multi-national corporations have huge interest in Dominican Republic, they will be required to do the following. First, Deposit their profits in a Dominican bank. Before the deposit, the profits will be taxed as profits. The money must stay in a Dominican bank interest earning account for at least 12 months. The interest will also be taxed. Then, afte 12 months, the company can take out of the country half of the bank accounts money. That half will be taxed twice, once for taking the money out of the bank and another for taking the money out of the country. The rest of the money will remain in the bank for 6 months and then the company can take it out. The double taxation deal applies again. Also, all of this happens after the company signs a deal to operate in the DR for the life of the contract (10 years) with the first two years absolutely tax free. The contract will renew itself every 10 years unless the company gives a written cancelation request. The cancelation will cost the company 10% of the money in the bank and then the money will be double taxed after it's taken out.

Illicit Drugs Deal: Inspite of the Drugs being illegal for consumption within the Republic, it will be ok for Drugs to be in transit as long that the destination is not within the DR. Due to the transit status, there will be a tax on that. Also, in addition, there will be a Safety Fee (Drugs have habit of sparking violence), a Risk Fee (incase the U.S. charges the DR with harboring Drug Dealers). Also, there should be a fee for drug landing strips, a fee for vessels docking in port. If a drug package is found to be missing or is opened, a heavy fee will be imposed as well. Foreign countries agaisnt this trade will be allowed to come into Dominican water and Airspace only in persue of these drug dealers (they are not Dominican responsibility and the Drug Dealers safety is in their own hands as long that they are not touching dominican soil), all of that for a fee also. Of course, we could agree to not persue such deals with Drug Dealers if the U.S. request us not to do so, but only if the Debt is forgiven. Otherwise, it's business as usual.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Do AWAY with the so called,Police Force!

The police are the source of crime in the DR! If not directly involved in the crime,they are in charge of their areas,and get their "cut" of all crimes in that area!Like a "Mafia Don",they control what goes on in their "Turf"!CCCC

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Nal0whs said:
T Bill suggested some of the following and I'll elaborate on them to make them work:

Cutting of the Police Force: The fear in this is an increase in crime due to no police presence. So, for 3 month impose a zero tolerance judicial system where anyone that is arrested for any criminal activity (being illegal in the country to killing someone) will be subjected to a 30 minutes trial. In 30 minutes, the defendant would need to present a very clear justification for his or her crime, if not convincive in 30 minutes, death penalty is imposed. Also, print a daily list on all the papers of the names of people in death row. Watch the crime rate drop to near zero. Then, after scaring the hell out of the population, you can cut the Police force a bit.

Your elaboration in this instance is NOT acceptable by any stretch of the imagination!!
Don't you think a better solution would be to select an educated, intelligent and dedicated group of men and women to form a cadre to be trained in an appropriate academy? Then upon successful graduation, have them return, purge the existing PF and form a competent, reliable force capable of policing the various cities and communities? Texas Bill

Cutting the Armed Forces: This is good. What ever Armed Forces are left should be reasign to watch the border region for illegal immigration and other activities. Each guard should sign a contract stating that if he or she are not doing their job correctly, they will receive expulsion from the country or death penalty. That would ensure that they stop the people that need to be stoped and not let illegals into the country.

Again, you mis-state the mission of a National Military Establishment. Remove the Military from ALL Civilian Law Enforcement Duties, train them in strictly Military functions. Reduce the bloated overhead of high ranking officers to ONE Brigadier and make the remaining officer corps responsible for leading their men in the conuct of strictly Military duties! Establish a "militia" within communities and provinces as reserve forces to be called in emergencies only. TB

In addition to all of that, I would also support a legalization of the following:

Brothel prostitution: Excellent tax revenue source and a good way of keeping a slight control on Sexually Transmitted Diseases.

Won't work! Mexico, Turkey and others have such a system and they are fraught with severe health problems! In addition, I'm not sure they would bring in very much revenue. You're relying far too much on the tourist industry for support.

Taxation of Religious Organizations: If the church feels that they do have a say in Dominican Politics, than Dominican politics do have a say in taxing the church. Besides, the church is a multi-million dollar organization, all that money can't be left untampered with in a poor country. Sorry God, but what has to be done has to be done!

I have to agree with this one 100%!! TB

Absentee Corporate Taxes: Since large multi-national corporations have huge interest in Dominican Republic, they will be required to do the following. First, Deposit their profits in a Dominican bank. Before the deposit, the profits will be taxed as profits. The money must stay in a Dominican bank interest earning account for at least 12 months. The interest will also be taxed. Then, afte 12 months, the company can take out of the country half of the bank accounts money. That half will be taxed twice, once for taking the money out of the bank and another for taking the money out of the country. The rest of the money will remain in the bank for 6 months and then the company can take it out. The double taxation deal applies again. Also, all of this happens after the company signs a deal to operate in the DR for the life of the contract (10 years) with the first two years absolutely tax free. The contract will renew itself every 10 years unless the company gives a written cancelation request. The cancelation will cost the company 10% of the money in the bank and then the money will be double taxed after it's taken out.

You have just assured that NO multinational corporations will EVER have any basis to establish a business in the DR. They'd laugh in your face and roll on the floor, then take their business to Haiti or some other country. TB

Illicit Drugs Deal: Inspite of the Drugs being illegal for consumption within the Republic, it will be ok for Drugs to be in transit as long that the destination is not within the DR. Due to the transit status, there will be a tax on that. Also, in addition, there will be a Safety Fee (Drugs have habit of sparking violence), a Risk Fee (incase the U.S. charges the DR with harboring Drug Dealers). Also, there should be a fee for drug landing strips, a fee for vessels docking in port. If a drug package is found to be missing or is opened, a heavy fee will be imposed as well. Foreign countries agaisnt this trade will be allowed to come into Dominican water and Airspace only in persue of these drug dealers (they are not Dominican responsibility and the Drug Dealers safety is in their own hands as long that they are not touching dominican soil), all of that for a fee also. Of course, we could agree to not persue such deals with Drug Dealers if the U.S. request us not to do so, but only if the Debt is forgiven. Otherwise, it's business as usual.

This suggestion stinks! If the country can't, at present control the transition of drugs within and through the country at present, how would they enforce such a scenario as that?? It would be virtually impossible. In addition, if implimented, the DR would become a part of the world drug traffiking organizations and violate every treaty it was signatory to in that regard. The suggestion is full of holes!!
Good try, tho'...
Texas Bill

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Well, at least we agree on the Taxation deal!

But, the brothel deal might work. This just need to be properly planned, look at Nevada in the USA. Many of the counties there (though not the one where Vegas is in) have legalize brothel prostitution and it has worked pretty well. The difference is made in the planning and implementation process, something that probably was not looked into in places like Mexico. Besides, prostitution is already rampant in the tourist zones of the DR (save Punta Cana), why not formalize it?

I can see the loop holes in the other ones you pointed out. However the first one about the police force, I think we have to keep in mind the very limited budget the government has. Although, your plan is very appealing it will cost too much time and money to implement for a poor country like the DR with the mess that it's in. How about implementing my plan, then reduce the force, and then follow yours. I think the worst part of my plan is the death penalty part, but hey, people will think twice about stealing a few pesos from a person when that steal can cost them their life, don't you think. All of the other stuff T Bill pointed out are correct. I could elaborate on them, but right now I'm too tired to do so.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Nal0whs said:
Well, at least we agree on the Taxation deal!

But, the brothel deal might work. This just need to be properly planned, look at Nevada in the USA. Many of the counties there (though not the one where Vegas is in) have legalize brothel prostitution and it has worked pretty well. The difference is made in the planning and implementation process, something that probably was not looked into in places like Mexico. Besides, prostitution is already rampant in the tourist zones of the DR (save Punta Cana), why not formalize it?

I can see the loop holes in the other ones you pointed out. However the first one about the police force, I think we have to keep in mind the very limited budget the government has. Although, your plan is very appealing it will cost too much time and money to implement for a poor country like the DR with the mess that it's in. How about implementing my plan, then reduce the force, and then follow yours. I think the worst part of my plan is the death penalty part, but hey, people will think twice about stealing a few pesos from a person when that steal can cost them their life, don't you think. All of the other stuff T Bill pointed out are correct. I could elaborate on them, but right now I'm too tired to do so.

I can agree partially with the idea of government operated "houses" but how to keep the medics from being paid off and to keep the free-lancers off the streets would be more of a problem than even a well organized vice squad could handle.
I would rather the emphasis be placed on gambling casinos than on houses of prostitution.

As to the costs involved in training a police cadre, et., I think an application for direct "aid-grant" (instead of a loan) from the US, France, and GB would be approved and fully supported. France especially, since the DR shares the same type of Legal System (that of the Napoleonic Code) where the rules of evidence are similar/the same and the methods of prosecution equally so.
I have suggested this since I see very little evidence of effective investigative procedures/law enforcement as I have been trained to do (I was in the Military Police in WWll).

Texas Bill

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Ok ok, lets focus on the casinos then!

The police deal might work as you explained, but there is still a chance that it might not, so in such cases a backup would be nice.

My respects go to you for your brave efforts during WWII. It's a shame that just recently a WWII memorial was inagurated at the Mall in Washington, DC, but I guess it's better late than never. My salutations for your efforts during that war goes to you from me. And thank you, otherwise who knows how this world would have turned out.

cr8tions

May 20, 2004
Texas Bill said:
All of us have our own idea of how things are going to turn out after the election in a few days, but none of us has submitted a clear cut idea of how to pay off the tremendous debt facing this nation.

My proposal is very simple!

1) Fire all the government workers (we can't get anything dine now any way so why even have any?)
That'll free up over ONE Billion in monthly debt.

11) Same with the schools.

Do the above in order.

It should work as well as any other.

Texas Bill

Another thing you can add to your list is to get all the people that got a huge piece of the action like hippo and his main goons that got paid.. confiscate all their assets, freeze up their bank accounts. If thats too difficult to do hire some missionaries bring them into the country to kill all the goons (major players) and if they are unsuccessful in retrieving all the monies they stole oh well... atleast no one gets to enjoy it.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
sancochojoe said:
If people were paid more respectable wages that alone would help stem to tide of corruptable professions.

Why don't you make up the difference between your "respectable wage" and what is actually paid out of your own pocket? Then you'd REALLY be a HERO -- until some bright boy decided he wasn't making enough and demanded even more.
People like you are ALWAYS good at spending someone else's money when voicing their solutions.
Yes, wages are low, but you need to talk to the owners of the businesses about raising the wages of their employees. Do you have any idea of what their bottom lines are? Do you know what their profit margins are? Do you have any idea what their personnel policies are?
Are you a business man? Do you own and operate a business for profit? If not, your solutions amount to nothing except empty rhetoric and have no substance relative to business reality.

Texas Bill

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
absolute power

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. What needs to happen is an informed populace and educated populace. It is a shame that the Average DR1 subscriber is more in tune to the workings of the government on a national scale than the average voter in the DR.
I understand that the subsidies that are meant to help the poor only make the cost of living for them higher. I understand that it would be cheaper to pay a higher price per Kilowatt and have the power on all the time than to not be able to depend on the power and buy in bulk.
I understand that it would be cheaper to pay the real cost of safe tap water rather than have to spend the money for LP to boil it or buy bottled water.
Unaccountable people run Amuck. Look at the prison Guards in Iraq. No different than Dominican Politicos.
John