dish network questions

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
I was wondering if someone could answer some questions about dish network and equipment.

I was looking to install dish network in my santiago apartment and was planning on getting the reciever, dish and card in NYC. But there are so many options available.

1.Can some explain the difference between the different recievers available: such as jvc 5500, 2700, dp 301, 3800, 3900, 4000 and isd 2300 models? Is there a particular model that works better than others in DR? Is there a serial number on the reciever I should look for?

2. What is the difference between the different colors of the cards such as the blue and yellow I see for sale on Ebay? Is one easier to crack then the other? Is there a certain serial number I should look for? Why do they sometimes say that the card has no balance and what does it mean if there is a balance? Are those cards un-crackable? Is there a preference for which one I should get for use in D.R?

3. Can I use the small dish that is used in the states or will I need a larger one for use in Santiago? If I can use the smaller dish, is there any reason to get the dual reciever dish connector? What is the difference between the 110 and 119 dishes?

4. Beside sheer laziness, is there a reason to get the uhf remote or can the units be programmed without a remote?

5. Should I get it legally connected in the states and then disconnect it and take it to DR? Will that make programming easier?

I'm trying to purchase the equipment before the end of the month so I would appreciate the help.

sonny

Aug 6, 2002
I just installed Dish in Santiago so I can offer some help. First of all, you will need a 6 foot dish to get signal down here. Also, Dish network uses 2 different satellites (110 for HBO, showtime etc, and 119 for FOX, NBC,mtv, comedy etc). Since mine is legal and i don't have HBO I chose sat 119. The guy who installed it (Star satellite) said that I would need another dish to catch the other satellite if I wanted to get HBO (not sure if he knew or not). Pretty sure that all receivers will work, I have the 301. As for the cards, this guy told me that the yellow cards are harder to crack. I had pirated stuff for a while and it was a pain in the butt. I finally opted to to pay $40 a month and live in peace. Goodluck.