Sending a package to DR

Daisy

May 5, 2004
:lick: Sorry to change the subject, just want to know.
I mailed my friend a package a month ago and he never received it. Is it normal for gifts to get stolen? It was a ball cap and candy, but I had to write what is was in the package for customs. How is it that I could make it less appealing to write what was in the package. Has anyone else had trouble like this?

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Daisy said:
I mailed my friend a package a month ago and he never received it. Is it normal for gifts to get stolen? It was a ball cap and candy, but I had to write what is was in the package for customs. How is it that I could make it less appealing to write what was in the package. Has anyone else had trouble like this?

Hi Daisy. I don't know where you are sending your stuff from but here is my experience. I sent many letters with photos from Canada to the DR and always sent it by registered mail (meaning someone on the other end at the address given needs to sign for it) for about $10 CDN. They always arrived within about 2 weeks' time and unopened (it was obvious they were just letters).

I only sent a gift once and it was by FedEx and it never made it past Santo Domingo (final destination - POP) because even though I had put exactly what was in the package, because it was a gift it was subject to duty once it arrived in the DR. There was a big complicated thing where they were going to get an agent in the DR to act on my behalf to have the package delivered and would then bill me for the duty applied (which could end up being an astronomical amount depending on what the DR gov't deems is appropriate). Soooo, I called FedEx and said bring the damn thing back to Canada and forget about delivering it all! When it arrived back in Canada, the package had been opened and riffled through, athough I must say that nothing was missing (a plus of using FedEx but it was a very costly lesson).

If you sent the stuff to your guy by mail... good luck. Most likely he will never get it and some immigration official is now enjoying it!

It's not a good idea to send gifts to the DR. The best way to get something to someone would be to bring it yourself on your next trip or send it with someone you know who will be visiting.

Hope this helps (and sorry that I don't have better news for you)?

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Corruption is in all Latin American postal systems

Daisy,

Rule of thumb never send ANYTHING via regular mail to a Latin American country period! It will never reach its destination. Yes, not only is there corruption in their governments, the mail system is included as well. If you have anything to send other than a "blank envelope" use the courier services like Fedex, UPS, DHL etc. However, I read Fiesta Mama's reply and I am quite surprised because I used to send packages frequently to Sto. Domingo no problem. The turnaround time was 24 hrs, 48 max. if traffic was heavy in the capital. Then again Fiesta Mama did say because it was going to Puerto Plata it complicated the issue. Santo Domingo has never been a problem for me. But best bet is to take the items yourself and hand deliver them with a smile. You will save yourself any unnecessary stress.

Daisy said:

susie x

Jan 17, 2004
Daisy said:

Hi I sent a package from the UK on April 6 I know it arrived in Santo Domingo on April 7 but it still hasn't made it to Higuey. It's not going to now. I have sent 4 packages to DR before to the north 3 made their destination. I don't know whether to try again. :ermm:

nystateofmind

Aug 6, 2003
Fedex

To my shock and amazement, I sent an express envelope from NYC to Sosua on Monday 5/10 and it arrived at its final destination on Wednesday 5/12 at 1035 AM.

It contained documents and a small stuffed animal - which I had to fill out a commercial invoice for.

Can not complain about that service!

Daisy

May 5, 2004
Looks like I just made a charity donation by mail. Let me know if you see someone sucking on a Mickey Mouse lollypop and wearing a ESPN ball cap!!! :ermm:

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
nystateofmind said:
To my shock and amazement, I sent an express envelope from NYC to Sosua on Monday 5/10 and it arrived at its final destination on Wednesday 5/12 at 1035 AM.
QUOTE]

I have also sent some fedex envelopes from NY to Sosua and was pleasantly surprised by the quick delivery. In one case it was even delivered the next day. The same thing when someone fedexed me an envelope from Sosua to NY - it arrived the next day. I think it all depends on if you catch the connections correctly in Puerto Rico.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Just to clarify...

Normally FedEx delivers any mail/letters, etc. to the DR very quickly. I have sent letters from Toronto to POP that arrived in two days. The problem with the package I sent with gifts (it was a box) was that I didn't pay the duty before it was sent (the FedEx agent I sent it with didn't tell me) - I just filled out the slip and wrote what it was worth and what was in it. You will never have a problem when sending documents, letter, photos, etc. by courier because these types of items are deemed to be worthless and are therefore not subject to tax or duty. Also, with FedEx you can track your shipment on the internet which was how I knew there was a problem in Santo Domingo. I don't know what I could have done differently to avoid this happening when sending a gift but perhaps someone else knows?

pati

Feb 3, 2004
I have used Fedex for years to send letters and pictures (anything that fits in the Fedex envelope) and have never encountered a problem. I never use them to ship anything bigger because they are too expensive. When sending anything that fits in a box (big or small) I use one of the small independent shipping agents. The packages have always arrived intact and all taxes/duties were included in my shipping price.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I use PO Box International. Its a subscription service that the person living her has to sign up for. I've never had a problem recieving anything and its not that expensive. The person in USA sends the package to Miami. Then they bring it here and the person recieving the package has to pay the cost from Miami to here. I've sent jewelry (silver) and even my Fax machine and never had a problem. I had to pay customs on the FAX but never had to pay for the other stuff.
I've sent a few packages here from USA and the people never recieved then via regular post. My Aunt sent a package tome and I never got it. I still have not recieved some Chistmas cards people sent me by regular mail.