Nationality

Lisselot

Aug 29, 2003
Dominican citizens can obtain a second nationality, as per constitution of 1994, without losing the Dominican one; before that, this could only be possible if the second nationality to obtain was Spanish. My question is: What happens with those people that obtained a second nationality - not Spanish - before 1994? Can they retrieve their Dominican Nationality?

I know legal texts are not retroactive, but I read somewhere it can be if it benefits somebody.

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
I'm no expert in immigration issues, but i cannot see why you could not retrieve your dominican nationality back. After all everything is possible in this country. The best way for the ex-dominican who changed nationality under the constitution of 1963 to update his civil documents (cedula, pasaporte, searching for the acta de nacimiento, etc) would be to handle all the required immigration and civil diligences as if the person had never changed nationality. The immigration authorities don't care about the actual double nationality issue about dominicans and will care even less about dominicans who have changed their nationality under previous constitutional law. (Constitution of 1963). (This will mostly work of course unless such person -ex dominican- would inform to the dominican immigration authorities about her/his foreign nationality acquisition, then he/she would be required to go through standard acquisition of dominican nationality -naturalization-). But i can tell you that this is a loophole in dominican nationality issues and also believe that can be used in favor.