Dominican Mother's day

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
trina said:
The last Sunday in May, which would make it May 30.

I'm curious to know how is Mother's Day celebrated in the DR? Is it similar to Canada and the U.S. where cards, presents, etc. are given? Or is it less of a materialistic holiday and more a religious one as I have found many holidays in the DR to be?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Fiesta Mama said:
I'm curious to know how is Mother's Day celebrated in the DR? Is it similar to Canada and the U.S. where cards, presents, etc. are given? Or is it less of a materialistic holiday and more a religious one as I have found many holidays in the DR to be?

Where Angel is from, they hold a celebration in the "cloo", where the mothers are honoured. The "honoured" mothers are put to work, making a huge feast...typico... when everyone is finished eating, they hold a raffle and one mother is presented with a gift. Afterwards, I'm sure the "honoured" mothers are put to work, cleaning everyone's dishes! What a special day for them! It wouldn't happen in my lifetime...

I'm sure many others have more positive stories, I'm just speaking of the happenings in our area.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
That's too bad but I suppose typical

Maybe the materialistic North American Mother's Day is not so bad after all!

trina said:
Where Angel is from, they hold a celebration in the "cloo", where the mothers are honoured. The "honoured" mothers are put to work, making a huge feast...typico... when everyone is finished eating, they hold a raffle and one mother is presented with a gift. Afterwards, I'm sure the "honoured" mothers are put to work, cleaning everyone's dishes! What a special day for them! It wouldn't happen in my lifetime...

I'm sure many others have more positive stories, I'm just speaking of the happenings in our area.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Fiesta Mama said:
Maybe the materialistic North American Mother's Day is not so bad after all!

Give me materialism over cooking for a hundred people any day!!!

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Originally Posted by trina
Where Angel is from, they hold a celebration in the "cloo", where the mothers are honoured

El "cloo" I love that.

Mother's day at our house in DR is very special. All the mothers and grandmom go to a day of beauty at the spa to look gorgeous the next day. Sunday is a big lunch affair at El Cloo Espanol, sometimes if we are all in the DR, we go to Samana for the entire weekend. The best part is gifts keep coming in from people we don't even see that much!

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Forbeca said:
Mother's day at our house in DR is very special. All the mothers and grandmom go to a day of beauty at the spa to look gorgeous the next day. Sunday is a big lunch affair at El Cloo Espanol, sometimes if we are all in the DR, we go to Samana for the entire weekend. The best part is gifts keep coming in from people we don't even see that much!

Now that sounds like a great Mother's Day, that's one I could definitely enjoy!

What's funny about Mother's Day at the "cloo", Angel talks like it's the best day for these women, ever... I wouldn't be caught dead making dinner for myself and especially not for others on Mother's Day. But he does say that the women also get lots of gifts from family and friends...that part I could handle.

Last edited: