Myths of the Promised Land

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
I was sitting around listening to this Dominican guy over the weekend that had the nerve to come into my house down there and educate me on the economy and society of my country here in the U.S. He has never been here in the States but since he's Dominican and has a 4th grade education, he's certainly in a position to know much more about this country than me. Anyway, some of the myths we've heard from Dominicans about the US, Canada or Europe might be good for a laugh.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I will always remember this one. When I was in high school - before I ever came to the US - I had this argument with this girl who swore that in the US people wore clothes only once and then threw it away, because it was more expensive to wash them that to buy new ones. How did she know? 'Cause her brother who lived in Washington Heights, NY told her so...I still can't believe it...

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I think the most popular myth is that money grows on trees in all foreign lands.

Others that come to mind:
(a) If you're from Canada, you're either from Toronto or Montreal. And everyone in Canada can speak French and English.
(b) Their perception of Canada in general, like you can drive from coast to coast in about 5 hours, and that you must know John, their friend from Toronto, if you live in Canada.
(c) Everything is cheap in foreign lands.
(d) My husband believed that the Chinese don't know how to cook rice! Now, he loves chicken fried rice.

BTW, hi Chris!

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
One popular myth is that the entire US, including Texas is a suburb of New York. Germany is also a suburb of New York.

Another is that Dominicans are mistreated in New York and often deported for misdemeanors like entering the country illegally and selling crack.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
MrMike said:
One popular myth is that the entire US, including Texas is a suburb of New York. Germany is also a suburb of New York.

Another is that Dominicans are mistreated in New York and often deported for misdemeanors like entering the country illegally and selling crack.

You crack me up!

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
trina said:
Many Dominicans also think Vancouver is part of the US.

Many Dominicans (especially in non-tourist areas) automatically assume that if you are white and speak English, you are American! Being a proud Canadian, I always go out of my way to correct that little misconception.

P.S. A lot of Dominicans also don't realize how multicultural the U.S. and Canada are.

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
MrMike said:

LOL...That's a good one. When one of my friends was coming to The US as part of the scholarship, the night before he was to leave he was at a bar and the DJ announced "Congratulations to Maximo, who leaves tomorrow for New York City", so my friend clarifies to the DJ that he's not coming to NY City, but Michigan...a few minutes later the Dj goes "Congratulations to Maximo, who leaves tomorrow to study in Michigan, a suburb of New York City..."

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
trina said:
Many Dominicans also think Vancouver is part of the US.

Huh? Has anyone in The DR even heard of Vancouver? I know I had not when I lived there...I'm sure a few people have...

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
suarezn said:
Huh? Has anyone in The DR even heard of Vancouver? I know I had not when I lived there...I'm sure a few people have...

When Angel came here, I told him that I have to take him to Vancouver, because it's so beautiful there. He said, "pero, yo no puedo ir pa'lla" Me, "y porque no???" "Vancouver es en los Estades Unidos..." Where he got that from, I have no idea. He still swears that everyone in the DR thinks Vancouver is in the US, so there must be some people that know of it...maybe because of the professional basketball team?

But you're right, most only know of Toronto and Montreal, I think mainly because Tony Batista played with the Jays, and Vladimir Guerrero with Montreal.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
suarezn said:
LOL...That's a good one. When one of my friends was coming to The US as part of the scholarship, the night before he was to leave he was at a bar and the DJ announced "Congratulations to Maximo, who leaves tomorrow for New York City", so my friend clarifies to the DJ that he's not coming to NY City, but Michigan...a few minutes later the Dj goes "Congratulations to Maximo, who leaves tomorrow to study in Michigan, a suburb of New York City..."

What a hoot...this should be a good thread...

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Nuevo York

They think Chicago is in New York too. Did you know you can take a taxi from Chicago to New York? I'll take a motoconcho though since it'll be alot cheaper.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
One trip on American Airlines we were late departing from Puerto Plata because of a mechanical problem. When we checked in, the ticket agent told us that missing our connecting flight from JFK to Buffalo was NO PROBLEM. They would provide ground transportation!

I cannot imagine what the taxi bill would have been. :D

katty

Mar 14, 2003
Thats funny, you would be suprised at how many people in US do not even know where Dominican Republic is.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Several people have asked me where I am from and when I say "Nueva York", they said "what part, Boston, Miami, etc..." When I explain that Nueva York is different than those places they look at me funny. I try to explain the United States is the country and New York, Boston and Miami etc. are cities but they don't understand. I should just carry around a map of the US to show people from now on.
Larry

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
katty said:
Thats funny, you would be suprised at how many people in US do not even know where Dominican Republic is.

No kidding Katty. I was shocked when my accountant asked me where it was last month. An educated guy in his late fifties and he had no idea. But then again, we Americans are generally an ignorant bunch.
Larry

katty

Mar 14, 2003
Your right Larry, But US and Canadians and more (I don't want to start a war here) as a whole are supposed to be so educated. I just think it's funny

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Not only Dominicans are off beat...

I don't get it with respect to all these "geographical blunders" and myths is it so hard to buy a map and also read before asking these crazy questions? I have had some weird questions asked too and I always think do these people know how ridiculous they sound? But ironically (and not to get controversial) Americans are the same way with respect to Canada. Their knowledge has improved much over the past 10 years due to sport teams, NAFTA, cross border shopping etc. but really don't look so far away Americans may know just the same when it comes to Canada (meaning very little). I am sure many Canadians can identify. Thank God for the Blue Jays or else Canada would still be just Montreal and igloos.

This is just an example of the famous old adage: "he who lives in a glass house should not throw stones". Meaning: Americans are stunned at the lack of geographical knowledge of Dominicans regarding the US but Canadians are just as stunned regarding an American's lack of knowledge of Canada as a neighbour.

Increible.

Larry said:
Several people have asked me where I am from and when I say "Nueva York", they said "what part, Boston, Miami, etc..." When I explain that Nueva York is different than those places they look at me funny. I try to explain the United States is the country and New York, Boston and Miami etc. are cities but they don't understand. I should just carry around a map of the US to show people from now on.
Larry

Last edited:

tripleaadams

Feb 27, 2004
Maybe it was just because...

we were staying in a somewhat rural region of the DR, but several families told my fellow students who were living with them that, before the students stayed with them, they believed that white people didn't ****. That was perhaps one of the funniest things I had ever heard.

Mark1

Mar 17, 2004
trina said:
When Angel came here, I told him that I have to take him to Vancouver, because it's so beautiful there. He said, "pero, yo no puedo ir pa'lla" Me, "y porque no???" "Vancouver es en los Estades Unidos..." Where he got that from, I have no idea. He still swears that everyone in the DR thinks Vancouver is in the US, so there must be some people that know of it...maybe because of the professional basketball team?

But you're right, most only know of Toronto and Montreal, I think mainly because Tony Batista played with the Jays, and Vladimir Guerrero with Montreal.

Well actually Angel seems to know USA very well, Vancouver WA, just next to Portland.
:lick: hehe just pulling a leg :eek: