DISH or Direct Sat TV

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
Ok....since my last post on DISH wasn't answered I hope this one will get some response.

My sister in Queens,NYC is about to discontinue our time warner cable and we are going to get DISH or Direct. They are running some good promotional packages and I need to know....

1. If I plan on taking one of the boxes out to Santiago with me which one should I subscribe to?

2. Am I correct in saying that all I will need to get the signal in Santiago is a larger Satellite dish that I can get locally or can I bring the one that they use here in NYC?

3. Can I still crack the DISH Cards so that I can get all the channels?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
To pick up either Direct Tv or Echo Star (Dish) you will need a 6' fibreglass dish. They are available in the DR. Don't know the current price but the local made ones are cheaper than the imported. The signal of the latter is a little weaker depending on the quality.
There are advantages to each. I prefer the programming on DTV however if you intend on going "Pirate" Echostar is your best bet. At least for now. Hu cards have gone down. How long will the P4's last, no one knows.
If you go legal, which I recommend, Echo Star is easier to purchase your PPV. Direct TV needs to be connected to a phone line. If you have a contact in the US., you could get a 2 unit package and leave 1 stateside. If it's connected to a phone, they could call and order the PPV for you from there. Bring your receiver, your LNB. Forget the little dish.

sonny

Aug 6, 2002
DVR receivers for Dish Network

Quick question, I brought my receiver from the states for the Dish network to which i subscribe legally in the states, but now I want to buy the new DVR receiver and bring it down here. Does anyone down here have them, because I heard that they have a chip that can give away its location and i might get in trouble in the states, since its 2 different locations and not the same home.

Thanks.