Help with a song

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
I'm going to make a cd with songs from different countries for one of my classes, and of course one of the countries is DR. I'd like to include a song by Juan Luis Guerra or Fernando Villalona but i'm clueless as what to put because they both have many good songs, so i ask you guys: which song would you choose to represent the DR in a cd and why?

If you think about another song by any other dominican artist, feel free to post it and say why.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Ay...qu? pregunta...

I think it really depends on the theme of your project in order for anyone here to sugest a representative song from either of two artists that you mentioned. I could give a few good ones but it depends on the focus of your project. But in terms of classic merengue they are true representatives. If your focus is authenticity of musical instrumentation and acousitcs I say "La Bilirrubina"or "El Costo de la Vida" by JLG. Those two songs to me always stand out but like you said there are so many good ones. Fernando V has plenty as well but in terms of "la dominicanidad" I would suggest "Feliz cumbe"or "El carnaval"..baile la calle de noche baile la calle de d?a. Ay... don't get me going.

mariel said:
I'm going to make a cd with songs from different countries for one of my classes, and of course one of the countries is DR. I'd like to include a song by Juan Luis Guerra or Fernando Villalona but i'm clueless as what to put because they both have many good songs, so i ask you guys: which song would you choose to represent the DR in a cd and why?

If you think about another song by any other dominican artist, feel free to post it and say why.

Thanks in advance.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
hi lesley,

the cd is part of the music i'll play on our end-of-term party (i'm in charge of the music). the main purpose of this cd is to introduce ourselves to other kinds of music than our own, you see?

the first song i chose from DR is/was "bachata rosa". but then i realized that most of the songs i have are belly-dance-like (most of the countries in this cd are middle eastern) and i don't know, it didn't sound good to me to have a soft song. maybe it's just me nervous about the resultate :speechles

Lesley D said:
I think it really depends on the theme of your project in order for anyone here to sugest a representative song from either of two artists that you mentioned. I could give a few good ones but it depends on the focus of your project. But in terms of classic merengue they are true representatives. If your focus is authenticity of musical instrumentation and acousitcs I say "La Bilirrubina"or "El Costo de la Vida" by JLG. Those two songs to me always stand out but like you said there are so many good ones. Fernando V has plenty as well but in terms of "la dominicanidad" I would suggest "Feliz cumbe"or "El carnaval"..baile la calle de noche baile la calle de d?a. Ay... don't get me going.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Why not Fernando's "Dominicano Soy" in which he speaks of not forgetting his humble roots, blah blah blah. ;)

And for JLG, perhaps clich?, but for the unacquainted why not "Ojal? que llueva caf? en el campo" which mentions many important Dominican staple foods and expresses a simple hope for an abundance of all of them!

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Well, I see. But yes I think maybe you are being nervous (which is understandable) but Bachata Rosa is a bit too soft if you want give them a good feel of Dominican music (from the heart and soul). Bachata Rosa is such a classic but not in the genre of merengue per se. Jane J's suggestions are good as well. Don't be afraid to give them the real macoy.

mariel said:
hi lesley,

the cd is part of the music i'll play on our end-of-term party (i'm in charge of the music). the main purpose of this cd is to introduce ourselves to other kinds of music than our own, you see?

the first song i chose from DR is/was "bachata rosa". but then i realized that most of the songs i have are belly-dance-like (most of the countries in this cd are middle eastern) and i don't know, it didn't sound good to me to have a soft song. maybe it's just me nervous about the resultate :speechles

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
jane, lesley,

i don't know if it's the nerves talking but don't you think "ojala que llueva cafe" is a bit sad? (his desire of having those food items in abundance) :nervous: villalona is good too but imo juan luis guerra is more known and famous in europe than villalona. at least in my part of europe :)

i saw a "tropical salsa hits" (various artists) in a shop here, and they featured "burbujas de amor" - but i don't really like that song.

thanks for your help and if you think of more suggestions keep 'em coming.

pd: i'll strongly consider both jane's suggestions.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Very good suggestions above from both Jane and Lesley. JLG's "El Costo de la Vida" is one of my favorites, and also has a catchy tune to it. It also encompasses a bit of what it's like to be Dominican, especially in these days... Let us know what you decide on!

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Mariel,

Okay- I had to do this because you don't know how much of a "tropical" music maniac I am but I think this will help. Normally when one wants to give someone a good sample of a genre of music it's best to pick the older stuff because it's tends to be more pure and not have the crazy influences and minimum use of instruments that music has today. However, Fernando V's album from 2002 defeats what I just said. It's really what we call "fiel exponente del merengue". (I hope you speak Spanish because sometimes frases like this should not be translated because the meaning and flavour changes). Anyway the album is called "Mal acostumbrado" and if you want to hear tremendous music check it out: Song # 3 "Un Profeta en su tierra" would be perfect for your project. In terms of JLG- it's your call you seem to know his music so go with what you want but I still vote for "La Bilirrubina" and "El Costo de la vida".

You menitioned that "Burbujas de amor" is on a "tropical salsa hits" cd that you saw. That scares me because that song is NOT salsa. Anyway.... Good luck. Ask me if you need any more tips.

mariel said:
jane, lesley,

i don't know if it's the nerves talking but don't you think "ojala que llueva cafe" is a bit sad? (his desire of having those food items in abundance) :nervous: villalona is good too but imo juan luis guerra is more known and famous in europe than villalona. at least in my part of europe :)

i saw a "tropical salsa hits" (various artists) in a shop here, and they featured "burbujas de amor" - but i don't really like that song.

thanks for your help and if you think of more suggestions keep 'em coming.

pd: i'll strongly consider both jane's suggestions.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Lesley D said:
In terms of JLG- it's your call you seem to know his music so go with what you want but I still vote for "La Bilirrubina" and "El Costo de la vida".

Leslie, we have the same taste in music, I think your suggestions are perfect for what Mariel is trying to do. "La Bilirrubina" will be my number one choice. "El carnaval"..baile la calle de noche baile la calle de d?a is also very good. I agree with Mariel in not picking a sad/political song, you want to keep it light and fun.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
If you are creating the CD to conjur up memories of the DR, one of my favorite songs that always reminds me of being there is "Es Mejor" by Raulin Rodriguez (it is bachata). I also love anything by Luis Vargas.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
That's from his latest album so you must be talking about a recent trip. I agree totally that, that song hits home and it's very sentimental. However, bachata still is a genre that either people like or they don't so it may not be the best for Mariel's project. Merengue just seems to go over well internationally.

Fiesta Mama said:
If you are creating the CD to conjur up memories of the DR, one of my favorite songs that always reminds me of being there is "Es Mejor" by Raulin Rodriguez (it is bachata). I also love anything by Luis Vargas.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
You are right, I purchased this CD on my last trip to the DR which was in March of this year.

Lesley D said:
That's from his latest album so you must be talking about a recent trip. I agree totally that, that song hits home and it's very sentimental. However, bachata still is a genre that either people like or they don't so it may not be the best for Mariel's project. Merengue just seems to go over well internationally.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
hey everyone:

thanks very much for your opinions :)

i'm torn between fernando villalona - dominicano soy and jlg - la bilirrubina. what do you guys think?

i barely have space to fit some of the other songs lol too bad, i could've included both songs lol

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Mariel,

If you narrowed your selection down to those two songs:

LA BILIRRUBINA.... all the way! That song is so lively and spirited the class might even get up and dance. And if they do I hope you will too.

Have fun!

mariel said:
hey everyone:

thanks very much for your opinions :)

i'm torn between fernando villalona - dominicano soy and jlg - la bilirrubina. what do you guys think?

i barely have space to fit some of the other songs lol too bad, i could've included both songs lol

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
hey lesley :)

since i might repeat this project next term i might use villalona's dominicano soy :)

i don't know if they'll dance, i know i will hehe. you know we dominicans have "la musica por dentro" ;)

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Good decision. Out of curiosity-where are you anyway? I know you are in Europe. That's a far way from "la RD". Send me a PM if you don't want the whole world to know.

Thanks.

mariel said:
hey lesley :)

since i might repeat this project next term i might use villalona's dominicano soy :)

i don't know if they'll dance, i know i will hehe. you know we dominicans have "la musica por dentro" ;)