exporting Furniture

corecto

Jun 18, 2003
I visited DR recently and I found furniture that I want to start exporting to the USA; however, I have not idea about how to go about doing this where to start. Is there anyone out there that export anything from the DR? If yes, what is the process, where do I go to? I want to ship by sea as oppose to air.

Thanks in advanse for your help and insights.

Corecto

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I was in the furniture business for many years in manufacturing, retail and as a rep. If you don't have the slightest clue as to how to do this or where even to start why do you want to get into this to begin with?

I can help you even in the states with representation but I just cant figure why you would even consider doing something you have no clue about.

Scott

corecto

Jun 18, 2003
My question ralates more to the ins and outs of exporting rather than knowing how to sell. I don't think my problem is finding buyers. Instead, what I need to know is how to find shipping companies, the proccess to take the furniture to the shipping company, paper work and things of that nature.

Thanks very much for your help. Any inghts is appreciated.

Coreto

Escott said:
I was in the furniture business for many years in manufacturing, retail and as a rep. If you don't have the slightest clue as to how to do this or where even to start why do you want to get into this to begin with?

I can help you even in the states with representation but I just cant figure why you would even consider doing something you have no clue about.

Scott

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
If it's anythiong similar to importing, you can get a broker to take care of all of the gory details and paperwork, but you are going to lose a good chunk of your competetive edge because you will have to pay the broker.

Maybe it would be worth it for you to use one for the first few shipments while you figure out how to do it yourself. (Yellow pages)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My experience in NorthCarolina tell me

That you don't have a snowball's chance in hellof making a go of this.

With Thomasville and the surrounding area closing furniture factories as fast as possible and all the work going to China, how are you going to compete?

Fabrics? They are imported (pay taxes) andthen exported (pay another 5% tax) Youlose coming and going.

Better off selling organic veggies or fruits. THAT we can compete in.

HB

corecto

Jun 18, 2003
Yes. that is the line of furniture that I want to experiment in bring to the USA. I especially want to do business with furniture stores in Florida, which is a tropical region just like the DR. I have been worndering if the is business would work here that I think I am going to go for it.

MrMike said:
He may be talking about the handmade rattan and bamboo furniture, which I have myself wondered if there might be a niche market for in the US.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
corecto said:
My question ralates more to the ins and outs of exporting rather than knowing how to sell. I don't think my problem is finding buyers. Instead, what I need to know is how to find shipping companies, the proccess to take the furniture to the shipping company, paper work and things of that nature.

Thanks very much for your help. Any inghts is appreciated.

Coreto

What about the ability to PACK for containers? What about distribution once you get your containers to Florida? There is a factory in Navarete I deal with that is well run and I have had good dealings with but they have no ability to carton.

Shipping is easy and outgoing is a lot less corrupt than incoming regarding payoffs and the like. Pib was a broker and you may want to talk with her about shipping. The lines of Wicker and Rattan I carried in retail stores in the states was from the Philipines and southeast Asia.

Scott

corecto

Jun 18, 2003
Would you share the name of the factory?
corecto

Escott said:
What about the ability to PACK for containers? What about distribution once you get your containers to Florida? There is a factory in Navarete I deal with that is well run and I have had good dealings with but they have no ability to carton.

Shipping is easy and outgoing is a lot less corrupt than incoming regarding payoffs and the like. Pib was a broker and you may want to talk with her about shipping. The lines of Wicker and Rattan I carried in retail stores in the states was from the Philipines and southeast Asia.

Scott

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Maybe you could have a look at that:

http://www.alibaba.com/bin/search?S...0310&LeafId=150310&LimitCatId=0&cat_id=150310

If you are ready to buy FCLs, take some pictures of Dominican furniture you like, have them copied in China, Vietnam, Philippines or Indonesia, depending on what you want.

Through alibaba, you'll get a quotation from China in a matter of days. Then compare with what you can get in DR. Look at the quality, price, respect of schedules, etc..

As for a custom broker in DR, you might find one that will do all the paperwork for 500 USD. It's a lot of money in DR but I would pay for that and focus on buying and marketing your stuff rather than on tedious paperwork.

Very difficult anyway,

Barnab?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I'm only half joking but...

Why not be original, instead of exporting furniture itself, find the craftsman who makes them and export him and his family to the US to work for you out of your garage.

It shouldn't be hard to find enough bamboo for him to cut up, the stuff grows everywhere - and you wouldn't have to worry about any import/export issues or transportation.

Just form a furniture company and sign him on as an employee and get him a work visa.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The Factory in Navarrete is

Bamboo y Rattan Navarrete and it is owned by Tito Bueno and his wife. Very good people.

For Packing you will have to talk to people in Santo Domingo, at one of the Carton companies, or start importing bubble wrap by the container load.

MRMIKE's suggestion is not that crazy..

HB

tradebali

Sep 1, 2005
Bamboo and Teak Furniture - looking for Export

We are a German company in Bali. We produce all ranges of furniture from bamboo and teak, kind of and after customer desires. We developed a own Knock down system, so that transport costs can be saved. All furniture those in knock down the procedure can be assembled and divided fast and uncomplicatedly. Teak furniture are manufactured from 100 Yati Teak quality. Beautiful commodity, drying in the condition, no danger of crack in the case of transport. Remaining humidity to max 14 %. we serve also the trade. Credit of time at present camp commodity

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
You want to export rattan to the U.S.

This is just one object of consideration for your venture --- You will want to do some research regarding the import regulations of this type of furniture product into the U.S. For one example, U.S. Customs may require fumigation of wood and rattan products prior to U.S. entry. You may want to inquire about the specifics, costs, and what fumigation services, if any, are available in the D.R. Do not rely on a Dominican broker to provide this information to you, unless they have impeccable credentials and U..S. based partner broker. It is better for you that a Miami based U.S. import broker provide this information for you. Ask for copies of the specific requirements and U.S. regulations.

Regards,
PJT

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
In the DR, go and speak to these folks... http://www.cei-rd.gov.do/
Centro de Exportacion e Inversion de la Republica Dominicana. The office in Santiago is very helpful to us in terms of paperwork required on the DR side, but also on the US side. They do have a lot of information in terms of requirements for Wood and Rattan and food products. Previously they were called Cedopex... I would also go and see an import agent on the US side that deals specifically with importation of the product that you are thinking about, to find out what exactly they require on their end. This is not easy, you need to do a lot of homework and make sure of your facts.

Price competition in the US, especially the Florida and coastal regions? We'll I don't now.. You need to do your homework well or offer a very unique product, well-marketed.