Cdn Permanent Resident (Dominican citizen) applying for US Visa

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Through the help of some fellow DR1'ers, we decided to apply for a US visa for Angel (my husband). I am posting this for informational purposes, and if anyone has any questions, they can PM me or post here.

As some of you know, we're driving from Calgary to Toronto this summer, and wanted to travel through the US to shorten the distance and lessen the costs. We didn't know if it was possible, because we thought it would be a long, hard process. It was actually very easy.

The link to the website to download the application forms is: http://travel.state.gov/visa;visitors.html

I made an appointment at the US Consulate in Calgary on-line, through:
www.nvars.com

Any Canadian resident must have an appointment in order to bring in their application. You can use this website or call 1-900-451-2778, but the call charges are $2.00/minute. Through the website, you pay a flat $10.00 fee to book the appointment.

I filled out the forms (very easy; Forms DS156 and DS157), got a passport photo (2" X 2" on a WHITE background only - the photo place should know specs if you tell them it's for a US visa), and waited for the appointment, which was today. On the website, we were told to bring with us proof that the applicant will not stay in the US - in other words, obligations in Canada. I brought our mortgage papers, bank statements, our CHILD ( :) ), and some lawsuit papers (Angel was in an accident - other car at fault - and may have to settle in court for it). They never asked for any of this. What we did need was his passport, his Permanent Residence card, and the paper downloaded from the net at the time I booked the appointment showing the appointment time and date.

The appointment was today at 10:30 AM. First, we were asked to pay $100.00 US application fee. Then we were asked for his application, passport, and PR card, and were told to sit until we were called. Finally at 1:15, we were called (what a wait with a 2-year-old terrorchild!) up. The first thing he (the interviewer)asked Angel to do was imprint his finger on this machine to give his fingerprints. The interviewer then asked Angel how long he's been in Canada (3 years), what he does for a living (watches our children for the time being!), how long we've been married (four years), and if he has any close relatives living in the US (no).

That was it! The he said, "Thank you for your patience. A visa will be ready for you at 3:00 today, barring security checks." He gave us a stub to bring back, and Angel has a visa which he can travel to the US with for 5 years!

YAY!!! We can finally take the kids to Disneyworld!!!

Last edited:

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Trina, that's amazing and I am sooo happy for you guys!!! It's amazing how much easier it is to obtain a U.S. Visa when a Dominincan is living in Canada rather than in the DR and applying for the same thing!!! I know your trip this summer will be well worth any headaches you have had in planning it. See you soon :)

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
bob saunders said:
I told you it was easy

You did, and I'm still shocked that it was just that easy.

I must say, we did definitely notice some racial profiling. We were watching and listening while we were waiting. There were some Koreans, Japanese, Mexicans, Afrikaneys, and a lot of East Indians waiting with us to talk to the interviewer. It seemed that only the Koreans and East Indians had to produce evidence and didn't get the visa issued "on the spot" like the rest of us did. Not wanting to get into a racial dispute, it is undeniable that there is definite racial profiling when issuing US visas.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Fiesta Mama said:
Trina, that's amazing and I am sooo happy for you guys!!! It's amazing how much easier it is to obtain a U.S. Visa when a Dominincan is living in Canada rather than in the DR and applying for the same thing!!! I know your trip this summer will be well worth any headaches you have had in planning it. See you soon :)

It is quite amazing how much easier it is obtaining a US visa from Canada than from the DR, but when you think about it, a Canadian Permanent Resident has all the reason in the world to return to Canada if they're Dominican, but what motivation would it be for a Dominican resident to return to the DR, considering the current state of affairs. That's why it's so much easier.

Can't wait!

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
And US$100 was the final total?

That's great! I would like to go to NYC for the weekend... but maybe I'd better see to the frigging PR card first, huh. (I still haven't done anything about it....:( )

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Jane J. said:
And US$100 was the final total?

That's great! I would like to go to NYC for the weekend... but maybe I'd better see to the frigging PR card first, huh. (I still haven't done anything about it....:( )

If you want to wait until we get there, we'll do the friggin' PR card together :classic: . It really isn't that bad, but it's a hard project to start/easy to put off. And he will need the PR card before he can travel outside of Canada (I know, shut up Trina, you don't need the added stress from me :laugh: ).

Yes, $100US was the final total. You pay that as an application fee, and if the visa is refused, you don't get this application fee back. So hope to hell that they are approved, not only for the monetary loss, but one of the questions on the application form is "Have you ever been refused a US Visa?"

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yris and Jose are as of today Canadian citizens and next week it's off to get Canadian passports. So their US visa's aren't needed anymore, but i'm glad you got it for Angel.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
bob saunders said:
Yris and Jose are as of today Canadian citizens and next week it's off to get Canadian passports. So their US visa's aren't needed anymore, but i'm glad you got it for Angel.

THAT'S WONDERFUL, BOB! Felicidades to Yris and Jose!!!