Money from US

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Could someone tell me the legality of U.S. citizens giving large sums of monies to DR political campaigns? I know someone who wants to be the US Ambassador to the DR and possibly has the money to buy it if the right candidates win both in the US and DR.

Charlie
Indianapolis

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Isnt that position "appointed" by the US President under endorsement of Congress??

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Nomination & Approval

Theama,

You are correct that an ambassador is nominated by the President and approved by both houses of congress. There are little written requirements on what qualifies a person to be an ambassador. Over the past 100 years many ambassadorships have been purchased with large political donations. Joseph Kennedy was a prime example.

Charlie
Indianapolis

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Understood. But wouldn't such a "major" contribution to a political campaign occur in the States and not in the desired country of Ambassorship.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Power!

The party, of whom I am speaking, owns very expensive real estate in the DR and is interested purchasing more. (Which is currently being blocked by very powerful local interests.) With the value of the peso vs. USD, just think what someone with inside information and millions of personal dollars could do.

Additionally, there is a power quest involved. Even with all of her money, she gets little respect from ultra wealthy Dominicans. As and Ambassador she would not only have her personal fortune, but power as well. (Remember Shirley Temple Black) The pay-back for all of her DR enemy?s would be hell.

An Evil

Aug 11, 2003
TEHAMA said:
Understood. But wouldn't such a "major" contribution to a political campaign occur in the States and not in the desired country of Ambassorship.

That is a moot point. The opening post clearly states having the right candidates in the US and DR. chuckuindy is not asking about US citizens contributing to US candidates because it's a moot point that some buttons will be pressed in the US. It's just that it is irrelevant to this forum and this thread.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
An Evil said:
That is a moot point. The opening post clearly states having the right candidates in the US and DR. chuckuindy is not asking about US citizens contributing to US candidates because it's a moot point that some buttons will be pressed in the US. It's just that it is irrelevant to this forum and this thread.

Sorry,

Please suggest a new forum. As my party has already donated large sums of money to Leonel and will continue to support him if elected, I thought this might be the right plase to ask a simple question.

Charlie
Indianapolis

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
chuckuindy said:
Could someone tell me the legality of U.S. citizens giving large sums of monies to DR political campaigns? I know someone who wants to be the US Ambassador to the DR and possibly has the money to buy it if the right candidates win both in the US and DR.

Charlie
Indianapolis

Legality? It would be legal as there are no limits in the DR on the amount of money private citizens, regardless of nationality, or even companies, can give to the political candidate of their choice. Whether donation of very large sums of money to a Dominican campaign can decide who will be the next US ambassador in the DR is an unknown. Can a recently-elected President petition who will be the next US ambassador? Doesn't sound very likely. In the past, as far back as I can remember, US ambassadors have been persons unheard of in the DR prior to their appointment by the US government.

Now if that person is well connected to the next President of the United States, then that person could exercise influence in the US and be appointed ambassador. I understand that both Charlie Manatt (Clinton) and Hans Hertell (Bush) were political appointees. I do not know of any case in recent history when the President of the Dominican Republic opposed a nomination for ambassador of the US. It seems even more far-fetched that a recently-elected President of the Dominican Republic could endorse someone to become the next US ambassador in the US. Of course, in politics....

Last edited:

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Thank You!!

Obviously, I could not find the correct wording. Why would any country allow the other country to decide ambassorships? If thats the case one should simply call the DR President's Secretary. The Ambassor represents the country of origin and not the country of desired location. Your friend has made connections in DR. Very good. She should now be in Washington...pressing the flesh.

I have worked in DC and for all levels of government. Thank God no longer.
TEHAMA

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Thanks

Dolores said:
Legality? It would be legal as there are no limits in the DR on the amount of money private citizens, regardless of nationality, or even companies, can give to the political candidate of their choice. Whether donation of very large sums of money to a Dominican campaign can decide who will be the next US ambassador in the DR is an unknown. Can a recently-elected President petition who will be the next US ambassador? Doesn't sound very likely. In the past, as far back as I can remember, US ambassadors have been persons unheard of in the DR prior to their appointment by the US government.

Now if that person is well connected to the next President of the United States, then that person could exercise influence in the US and be appointed ambassador. I understand that both Charlie Manatt (Clinton) and Hans Hertell (Bush) were political appointees. I do not know of any case in recent history when the President of the Dominican Republic opposed a nomination for ambassador of the US. It seems even more far-fetched that a recently-elected President of the Dominican Republic could endorse someone to become the next US ambassador in the US. Of course, in politics....

You have answered my question, and may now close the thread.

Charlie
indianapolis

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Good luck to your friend. I really hopes she gets it. I have met James (?) Hormel (the Spam guy) Ambassor of Luxenburg (my spelling sucks) for many years. Nice guy in a cushy job. Unless there is some serious problem between the two countries, I dont think its that hard a job. A lot of speeches and prestige than anything else. I dont know.
TEHAMA