Cost of things in the DR? (versus Pattaya)

ToneDeaf

May 3, 2004
Well, since I've already introduced myself in another thread lets get down to business and talk about the cost of life in the DR vs. what I'm paying in Pattaya.

First off I kind of lucked out and got a semi run down almost unfurnished 1 bedroom condo right in the center of the action for 6,500 bht per month BUT I had to pay one year in advance. That's about US$165 per month.

Prior to that I had a fully furnished Studio (no kitchen except for sink) that was really nice for 8,000 bht per month which is about US $200.

Since my current place was unfurnished I purchased a 21 inch JVC flat screen TV and the Leona 5.1 (5 speakers + subwoofer) for about US $500 (250 apeice). What would they cost in the DR?

If I were to run my A/C day and night it would cost me about 4,000 baht (US $100). If I where to run it only at night it would cost less then 1,500 bht or about US $38 (this month was 1,300 bht, lots of tv and laptop always on and A/C every night which I don't ormally do otherwise I'm at about 6-800 bht).

My cable bill which is automatically charged to my condo is 200 bht (US $5) but it's not to good as we only get the following English: Fox News, National Geographic, Discovery, Channel V/MTV (switches depending on time), 2 or 3 sports stations, HBO Asia (sucks, none of the shows), and Star (American TV from 3 years ago that repeats every three hours).

My water bill is between 200 bht (minimum charge) and 300 bht US $5-7.50.

I actually have a direct line telephone that cost 8,000 bht to setup US $200 and averages about 400 bht a month US $10. I only use it for Internet though maybe 3 to 5 hours a day.

Internet kits by the hour or by the month. Two kinds of 'unlimited' use monthlies are available. one type is unlimited use never cuts off for 450 bht US $11.50 or 3 hours then it cuts you off and you've got to call back for 350 bht US $8.75 but the lines are almost always busy. However my phone company offers a 3 hour unlimited for 335 bht that's never busy.

Plenty more question which I'll leave for later. If you've got questions ask away.

PS. Is it possible to upload jpg photos to the board? I couldn't find the browse control mentioned in the faq.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hello Mike

The price for apartments here.....(Center of the action) Would depend on what action? and what center? For an apartment in the Capital City here, (Center) I would think around $500.00 a month, The Center of Puerto Plata you can get an apartment for $100.00 a month.

I think that the TV. equipment would cost you more here.

As for the A/C it will cost you a small fortune to run it 24/7 as we are one of the most expensive Country's for power supply.

Cable for TV. will run you around $10.00 a month (100 stations) Most are in Spanish. You might consider Dish TV. I pay $350.00 every six months for the card (Legit)

Water $5.00 a month.

My phone bill with internet Flash 24/7. $75.00. Dial up service stinks here, I switched about 3 years ago with no regrets.

I hope this helps you.....

Good Luck

Gringo

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In Santiago

I think that $150 will get you a small apartment. Cable with maybe 70 stations: NBC ABC A&E ESPN2 ESPN NEWS CNN TBS TNT USA WGN ANIMAL NAT'L GEO HISTORY is $9 a month

A family of four spend RD$15000/$333 a month on food. If you eat out, a lot more.

Electricity is a major headache right now. There are political tenticles to be cut through but the biggest issue is economic: the people who distribute the power collect in pesos and the generators collect in dollars. Both are screwed at the present time. There is no simple, straight forward, solution to the problem, so it will linger for the forseeable future. Most of us have invested in auxiliary plants (we are installing a 20KW unit as I write) or power inverters which take electricity and store it in a bunch of batteries until there is a power outage when the batteries kick in and power a lot of the appliances.

HB

To upload pictures: Go to Media Gallery and follow the instructions there. They will be posted eventually.