someone have family with kids in school ?

Astral

Mar 13, 2003
Hello,

I would like to know if somebody live near Samana with his/her Family and how you are living with your kids for school.

I got 2 girls, one 17 years old and the other 5 years old.

Thank you.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
HI Astral

Good to see you again.

I think that in Nagua there are some fair schools for your teen. In Saman?, I am not so sure.
In Nagua, there is a nun's school that is well run. And there are a couple of evangelical schools, but they seemed to be less well equipped and with less of a physical plant than the nun's place.

If it has to be in the Saman? area, I just do not have any recent experiences. I used to visit the high school in Saman? and it was well run. There was a lot of pride in the lady director. Public school it might be but they worked the kids.

For the 5 yr old, the must be some nice place..

Let's see what the board comes up with.

HB

Astral

Mar 13, 2003
I forgot

Thanks

Ooops, I forgot to ask too...
...We are French, we're not especialy loof for a french school but which language speak those schools.

re-thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh I see, you are not "that" Astral...okey then

All of these schools speak Spanish. What language did you think they would speak?

It seems to me that you are moving too quickly into a completely different culture..be careful

Doucement, s'il vous plais...

HB

Amber

Jan 24, 2003
The best of all evils..

My kids (10, 12) have been going to the nun school in Nagua (Colegio Belen) which is the best equiped in this area, but I am not pleased with it. The school day consists of four hours actual teaching time (max) and one has to be constantly checking up on them. Unfortunately, the other schools are worse as Hillbilly stated. The main language is spanish for all the schools in this area, but English and French are offered in the program, keeping in mind that the teachers don't speak these languages themselves for the most part.

I don't have much faith is the school system here, but there are some great schools in La vega, SAntiago and SD.

Colegio Belen does have a good parent-teacher board, encourages parent participation and community service.

Hope it helps.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
To borrow and expression from JaneJ- HEE!

I got Astral and Amber mixed up. Sorry....

Amber you have been naughty. You haven't been around much lately. We miss you.

Colegio Belem! Now I remember...

Perhaps with the influx of so many Frenchmen there will be a French-run school opening up soon...Might be a good business..

HB, grinning at my mix-up :)

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Hillbilly said:
I got Astral and Amber mixed up. Sorry....

Amber you have been naughty. You haven't been around much lately. We miss you.

Colegio Belem! Now I remember...

Perhaps with the influx of so many Frenchmen there will be a French-run school opening up soon...Might be a good business..

HB, grinning at my mix-up :)

Yes, Amber, we do miss you...someone else keeping you occupied, maybe? ;)

HB, my favorite JaneJ'ism is "SNARK!" I definitely "snarked" when I read your post.

Oops, there I go, off-topic again...
Astral, Ken (do a search on Ken, click his name, and PM him) may be a good contact for this subject. If memory serves me correctly, he lived in Samana for quite a few years.

Amber

Jan 24, 2003
lol how can u mix me up hillbilly??

Missed you guys as well, Trina! I've been tied up.. wait.. let me rephrase that..lol ;)

Astral

Mar 13, 2003
Great

Thanks a lot for all of you.

I'm gonna get in touch with the contact you gave me.

See you soon.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
French community in LT

There is a relatively large community of French people in Las Terrenas.
I have heard that they run a French school which is said to teach according to French curriculums.
Our children go to a colegio in Las Terrenas as well.
There the school language is Spanish.

M'frog

www.samanave.com