La Puntilla learn Spanish rapido- any good?

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Ive searched the threads but cant find the answer to my question, Is the school in La Puntilla to learn Spanish any good, Im due to start for a 2 week course from Monday, but was surprised at the cost $320. can anyone advise if its worth it please?

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
More details please...

Ladybird said:
Ive searched the threads but cant find the answer to my question, Is the school in La Puntilla to learn Spanish any good, Im due to start for a 2 week course from Monday, but was surprised at the cost $320. can anyone advise if its worth it please?

Ladybird... that all depends. You need to give more details. i.e. how many hours of classes, how many times per week, how many students per class, etc. If it is an intensive Spanish class for say 4 hours per day over the course of 2 weeks, I think that is a good price. I have looked into other Spanish schools for 3 or 4 weeks and they are close to or over $1,000.00.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have a friend who got tutoring there and was very satisfied. As far as the courses are concerned, many European students come for their courses and receive credit from their university.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
40 hours is not enough to become fluent

But there should be a big improvement.

Linguistically speaking, after 15 or 16 there is not much that can be done to remove your accent, so that should not be an issue with you.

As you learn the damn verbs just remember that Spanish poorly spoken is easier to understand than English poorly spoken. "Yo querer sir bay za" is understood perfectly. Your idea of learning complete sentences is well thought out.

I would suggest a "molding of the ear" as it were, by listening to as much Spanish language radio and TV as you can stand. Watch something you understand-football perhaps- on one of the Spanish language channels.
Or one of the Soap Operas at night. The Brazilian ones are very well dubbed in good Spanish with good speakers. Venezuelan and Mexican or Puerto Rican soaps are crap.

You might want to read a bit too. The Diario Libre is a good, free, newspaper that is well written. Not perfect (They spelled Tallyrand, Tayllerand, the other day.)

Good luck on this.

HB

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
CNN en Espanol

I s a great way to tune the ear - it is usually available on extended cable channels and they tend towards Colombian newsreaders who have extremely good diction (and the female ones are hotties too which I like) and will of course by virtue of being CNN limit slang and colloquialisms as those are normally regional and the channel is global. Often you can use closed captions to read what they are saying (en Espanol) if you cannot quite hear all the words.

Also if you have it, the dubbed latino sitcom channels- there are 2 kinds - in English with Spanish subtitles all the time, a bit helpful for watching how verbs are conjugated and in very straightforward Spanish or the ones dubbed in Spanish but still have the original English subtitles so you can follow along in English. HBO Latin also has both at times.

I watch the Sony Superstation and HBO in Boca Chica for US sitcoms and movies with Spanish subtitles whenever I can.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Thank you HB and Rick 2 of my staff speak only Spanish to me which is helping tremendously, but boy the dialect is tough when they speak rapido, I found this when learning Italian and French, the dialects differ so much its like learning more languages. But you are def right that you have to tune in the ear, I understand that completely and a little brain retuning too. :nervous: