Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Germans moving away

Hello you all!

I read in a few threads and other articles that a lot of Germans selling their properties and moving away from the northcoast.
    Why is that and where are they moving to? Another country or somewhere else in the domenican republic?

Thanks

Mark

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Out of the country.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Any particular reason?

Is German currency losing value here?

XXX XXXX XXXXX XXXXXX XX XXXXX?

OK, I edited myself, I really didn't mean to start any crap. Sorry to all of you, and especially the Germans.

And I really do want to know why they are leaving, if they are.
    Last edited by MrMike; 05-14-2004 at 10:59 AM.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default It happened before on the North Coast!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkusL1
    Hello you all!

I read in a few threads and other articles that a lot of Germans selling their properties and moving away from the northcoast.
    Why is that and where are they moving to? Another country or somewhere else in the domenican republic?

Thanks

Mark
    When I first moved to the North Coast in 1989, There were many French Canadians living on the North Coast and then the Germans started coming here and buying up Real-Estate big time, the French Canadian's left for Cuba.
    Now the American's have been looking for a safe haven close to the States post 9/11.
    I see the current trend moving this way......I have never had as much interest Via my web site from Americans looking for investment and second homes in the event that the **** hits the fan in the US.

Gringo

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by MrMike
    Is German currency losing value here?

Are they being forced to bathe?

Well since make fun of German stereotype about 'bathing,' why don't we talk about Americans knowledge of World Geography? I can tell you one thing, it STINKS.

For starters, in Germany they use the Euro - and it has gained in strength against the US$ recently, so that wouldn't be the reason.

As a German student in the US, I was amazed at the total lack of any knowledge in basic history or geography. In 9th grade, most students could not pick Florida on a map, nor did they know the capital of Florida (this was a school in Florida, mind you). This was pretty sad. I could barely speak English and had to tell them that Miami was not the capital.

Oh, I almost forgot, the rednecks I was in school with in Florida, smelled far worse than my friends in school back in Germany.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Oh, I almost forgot, the rednecks I was in school with in Florida, smelled far worse than my friends in school back in Germany. [/QUOTE]
    You actually ADMIT that your FRIENDS smell, boy are you in for it if they read this

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Let me guess...you're German?

[QUOTE=Conchman]As a German student in the US, I was amazed at the total lack of any knowledge in basic history or geography. In 9th grade, most students could not pick Florida on a map, nor did they know the capital of Florida (this was a school in Florida, mind you). This was pretty sad. I could barely speak English and had to tell them that Miami was not the capital.

Easy there fella.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear god, I didn't mean to start a war, it was such a short comment.

Not like any of us go around sniffing Germans or rednecks anyway. As for geography it can be argued that it's only necessary to know the location of places you intend to go in the near future. The shower for instance... or "Nueba Yol"

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we should stick to the question of this thread, before "moderator" sends a lightning- and close this one as well..

( eg kann barra le Ýve "MrMike )

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

My grandfather's and father's knowledge of geography was sufficient enough to find their way to Europe twenty years apart to kick your butts in two wars that you started.

Now, to get back on topic, with the greying of America, many baby boomers are looking for more affordable places to retire in. The home I have on the north coast would cost me at least three times as much in a desirable area of Florida, the capitol of which is Tallahassee, which lies in the far northern quarter of the state. Americans are seeing value in the DR and not only on the north coast. One factor that made the north coast particularly attractive to me was that its nearly hurricane proof. A hurricane would have to thread the needle a few times to directly hit the north coast. You're in peril of hurricanes anywhere in coastal Florida.

The other factor is the weather. I live in Wisconsin, the capitol of which is Madison. Winters here can be brutal and winters in Florida can get iffy if you're looking for perfect weather in January or February. Another 750 miles south of Miami (which is the largest city in the State of Florida), you have that perfect winter weather. I jump in the car, drive to O'Hare, which is in Illinois, the capitol of which is Springfield and change planes in either Miami or Puerto Rico, whose capitol is San Juan and its a short hop over international water (no capitol) to POP whose capitol is POP.

Economics are also a factor. I just plain live alot cheaper in the DR, the capitol of which is Santo Domingo, than I do in the States, the capitol of which is Washington, D.C. With less income during future retirement, the cost of living factor is a significant consideration. Others my age are seeing that too and are beginning to look for homes in non-conventional geographical areas.

So I have two questions for those of you that believe we're collectively a bunch of idiots up here. First, how many men has your contry put on the moon? Second, what recurring error did I purposely make in this post?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast