Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Finding my second home!

Well I arrived in this great place in 1997 with some Dominican friends and discovered the North coast, Caberete, Sosua area. I then discovered by Dominican girlfriend in September 2000. I was 37 and she was 22. An American dream come true. She was poor and going to school twice a week, but I sugested she go full time if at all possible. She listened and in a month she finishes with a degree. In September she is off to Law School in Puerto Plata. A dream come true for her as well. She is the first of 5 children to finish high school in her family.

I purchased a parcel of land outside of Sosua and will build us a house next year. A nice 3 bedroom house for under $20,000. I love this country!!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

f for 20,000 US dollars you manage to get hold of a block of land and having a three bedroom house built on the land and this all for 20,000 US dollars does this include Labour, blocks, all other building material

I'm very interested in knowing where This Land is for that price.
    Last edited by paul&beata; 05-16-2004 at 05:36 PM.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Under $20,000

Since its for me and my Dominican girlfriend, I don't need to be where the foreigners live. I paid $2800 for the land and there are 50 plots left.

The $18,000 includes, 3 bedrooms, a living room, a dining room, a kitchen, 2 bathrooms and a garage.

There are smaller houses available for $10,000 but my house will be the way I like it.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr
    Since its for me and my Dominican girlfriend, I don't need to be where the foreigners live. I paid $2800 for the land and there are 50 plots left.

The $18,000 includes, 3 bedrooms, a living room, a dining room, a kitchen, 2 bathrooms and a garage.

There are smaller houses available for $10,000 but my house will be the way I like it.
    I thought you didn't want the american dream? (we met a few months back in the swimming pool at the AI in Sosua)

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My House

I will have water, air conditioning and electricity.

Thats my dream!

Post Thanks / Like

Default If you are building your house, allow me to give you two pieces of advice:

1) No matter what, make the ceilings at least 10 feet high. You will be cooler, you can hang big fans from them and your whole living experience will be better. You can come see mine if you need to.
    2) DO NOT let a Dominican architect design the kitchen. If you are the least bit handy in the kitchen, you will go crazy in a Dominican designed kitchen.
    Again, mine is open for inspection.

HB

Email me for further details

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I will keep that in mind for sure.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

If someone from outside the Dominican Republic purchase land and had a house built and, what would the local community think, we are both in our Thirties down-to-earth and don't wanna keep up with the Joneses, all we want to do is live and let live.

PS Please Be honest.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

My Dominican girlfriend of 4 years will be living there. If you build a house you will need someone to watch it if its not in a gated and guarded community.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink another bit of advice...

If you are less than 6 ft. 6 inches tall, do not let a Dominican contractor install your bathroom mirror.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast