Finding my second home!

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Well I arrived in this great place in 1997 with some Dominican friends and discovered the North coast, Caberete, Sosua area. I then discovered by Dominican girlfriend in September 2000. I was 37 and she was 22. An American dream come true. She was poor and going to school twice a week, but I sugested she go full time if at all possible. She listened and in a month she finishes with a degree. In September she is off to Law School in Puerto Plata. A dream come true for her as well. She is the first of 5 children to finish high school in her family. :D

I purchased a parcel of land outside of Sosua and will build us a house next year. A nice 3 bedroom house for under $20,000. I love this country!!

paul&beata

Apr 7, 2004
f for 20,000 US dollars you manage to get hold of a block of land and having a three bedroom house built on the land and this all for 20,000 US dollars does this include Labour, blocks, all other building material

I'm very interested in knowing where This Land is for that price.

Last edited:

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Under $20,000

Since its for me and my Dominican girlfriend, I don't need to be where the foreigners live. I paid $2800 for the land and there are 50 plots left.

The $18,000 includes, 3 bedrooms, a living room, a dining room, a kitchen, 2 bathrooms and a garage.

There are smaller houses available for $10,000 but my house will be the way I like it.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Jimmydr said:
Since its for me and my Dominican girlfriend, I don't need to be where the foreigners live. I paid $2800 for the land and there are 50 plots left.

The $18,000 includes, 3 bedrooms, a living room, a dining room, a kitchen, 2 bathrooms and a garage.

There are smaller houses available for $10,000 but my house will be the way I like it.

I thought you didn't want the american dream? (we met a few months back in the swimming pool at the AI in Sosua)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you are building your house, allow me to give you two pieces of advice:

1) No matter what, make the ceilings at least 10 feet high. You will be cooler, you can hang big fans from them and your whole living experience will be better. You can come see mine if you need to.
2) DO NOT let a Dominican architect design the kitchen. If you are the least bit handy in the kitchen, you will go crazy in a Dominican designed kitchen.
Again, mine is open for inspection.

HB

Email me for further details

paul&beata

Apr 7, 2004
If someone from outside the Dominican Republic purchase land and had a house built and, what would the local community think, we are both in our Thirties down-to-earth and don't wanna keep up with the Joneses, all we want to do is live and let live.

PS Please Be honest.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
another bit of advice...

:) If you are less than 6 ft. 6 inches tall, do not let a Dominican contractor install your bathroom mirror.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
DO NOT let a Dominican architect design the kitchen.

Seriously, what is up with Dominican kitchens? Even in some really classy places I have seen kitchens built in the fashion of wind tunnels or just given the barest of finishing touches (paint, tiles). Why is that?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Because the lady of the house doesn't do the housework. That's one of the reasons that even in affluent houses it is not unusual to find a twin-tub washing machine.

Chiri

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
100% true!

Hillbilly said:
1) No matter what, make the ceilings at least 10 feet high. You will be cooler, you can hang big fans from them and your whole living experience will be better. You can come see mine if you need to.
2) DO NOT let a Dominican architect design the kitchen. If you are the least bit handy in the kitchen, you will go crazy in a Dominican designed kitchen.
Again, mine is open for inspection.

HB

Email me for further details
Please, follow Hillbilly's advices. DO NOT get a dominican architect to design your kitchen unless you tell him/her exactly what you want. Decide yourself by way of pics. I made the mistake of not being in the DR when my home's kitchen was designed and all I can say about it is " thank God that I rent that house and I don't have to see those ugly, cheap looking cabinets".

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A foreign friend living in Santo Domingo was renting a sumptious penthouse apartment in Bella Vista, fully furnished, for more dollars per month than most Dominicans earn in five years. At this price you would expect a state-of-the- art kitchen at the very least, but to her disappointment all the appliances were more or less bottom of the range, and the cabinets were bog standard. The floor level ones were not even finished on the inside. This is standard in middle class housing but at this level of the market she could not be blamed for feeling ripped off. The biggest design blunder I noticed was the location of the wine racks, constructed at eye level on either side of the cooker. Genius!

Chiri

stormer

Apr 27, 2004
Jimmydr said:
Well I arrived in this great place in 1997 with some Dominican friends and discovered the North coast, Caberete, Sosua area. I then discovered by Dominican girlfriend in September 2000. I was 37 and she was 22. An American dream come true. She was poor and going to school twice a week, but I sugested she go full time if at all possible. She listened and in a month she finishes with a degree. In September she is off to Law School in Puerto Plata. A dream come true for her as well. She is the first of 5 children to finish high school in her family. :D

I purchased a parcel of land outside of Sosua and will build us a house next year. A nice 3 bedroom house for under $20,000. I love this country!!

Congratulations!!!! :cheeky:

tourjoy

Mar 13, 2004
How do you say stool in spanish?

Nelly said:
:) If you are less than 6 ft. 6 inches tall, do not let a Dominican contractor install your bathroom mirror.

Como se dice "stool" in espanol?

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Jdr

Good Luck with the building process. Maybe you could even
do a Bloq here on DR1 as the project moves along.

Happy Building,

JD