Laptop import duties?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Does anyone know what would happen if I ordered a laptop from Dell or Gateway and

a) got it sent via business mail, or
b) had it UPS'ed to me directly?

Will I pay import duties? If so, how much?

Obviously it would be better to bring it over myself, but I have no trips planned.

Any suggestions?

Adrian

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
adrianb said:
Does anyone know what would happen if I ordered a laptop from Dell or Gateway and

Obviously it would be better to bring it over myself, but I have no trips planned.

Any suggestions?

Adrian
FedEx to Santiago. Contact Ramon in advance @ 1-200-3138 and tell him where you live. he will arrange to send it on to you by Caribe Tours. The import duty that I paid on a US$1000.00 Compaq Laptop was RD$1470.00 a year ago. I wired the amount to the Cusoms Agent (Altagracia someone) and received the computer in 3 days after wiring the duty amount.

Texas Bill

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I am coming...

adrianb said:

Any suggestions?

Adrian

Adrian, I am coming to the DR on July 1. I will be flying into Las Americas airport and would be more than happy to transport a laptop for you if you are in that neck of the woods. I live in Toronto and know that I can get Dell here. Let me know if I can be of help.

FM

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Texas Bill said:
FedEx to Santiago. Contact Ramon in advance @ 1-200-3138 and tell him where you live. he will arrange to send it on to you by Caribe Tours. The import duty that I paid on a US$1000.00 Compaq Laptop was RD$1470.00 a year ago. I wired the amount to the Cusoms Agent (Altagracia someone) and received the computer in 3 days after wiring the duty amount.

Texas Bill

that's a good deal $1470.00 go for it........ i have someone here in Miami they do all the shipping for my business........ and charge US$100.00 and they'll take it anywhere in the island............... why are you buying DELL that's a headeache get a Toshiba................. better bang! for your buck... i have 3.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Have done both in the last six months

Dell will charge you 110 US for UPS shipping on a laptop. When the shipment gets to Santo Domingo, they will phone you with a demand for customs duties. They will NOT ship via Business Mail. Went through that in January.

Just picked up a laptop this morning sent from another company (very good value, btw) at Business Mail. Shipping, insurance, etc was $69.15 on a $1200 dollar laptop. The customs service with ITIBIS was another 4480 pesos.

Bottom line shipping via Business Mail was around $150, but no hassles with customs duties.

Business Mail bases insurance cost on value of the shipment. Your shipping could be more or less, depending on what you purchase.

The laptop I received today was P4, 2.8 gig processor, 512 RAM, 80 gig hard drive, CDRW/DVD combo drive, Windows XP Home, 15 inch display with an external floppy drive.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
To the person buying the laptop i can offer my services for free i'll be arriving to Santo Domingo on May 27th, if you'll like i can bring it with me.......
usually i travel with 2 laptops however this time im only taking one...

Email me:

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Hey guys, thanks for your replies!

La Profe_1: what model laptop did you order? From which company? It sounds like a great machine.

claudius_2k

Apr 10, 2003
I purchased 2 laptops via Business Mail without problems, the only problem was to get the usa stores accept my usa foreign CC (solved with a fax)

suposedly computers does not pay taxes, only "comision cambiaria" , I remember about paying about $100 total per computer

If you bring it by UPS/Fedex probably you will have to manage with customs directly... something to avoid

Lissa

Aug 7, 2003
www.lldesigndr.com
have the exact samne problem adrian

I need to get a laptop here, but I haven't decide yet which one I'm gonna buy.
Adrian did you get yours yet? and which one do you think is the best choice? I'm dancing between Dell, sony and toshiba.
Another thing, a friend of mine brought an 15" inch hp laptop via EPS and he told me that was very very very expensive because the custom's fees were too high.

trap11

May 5, 2004
offtop

I am sorry about offtop, but may be you know where is Toshiba Customer Service located in Santo Domingo? I have a problem with my laptop. (not charging) probably problem in cable or in connector. Thanks!