A question about dual Nationality or Citizenship

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I have been living here in the DR. since 1989 and of course have a Dominican Residency......it is a pain in the a** to renew my residency every two years....I have been thinking of Dual citizenship as a Dominican and Canadian.

My question is has anyone here on Dr1 taken this step and could you tell me what might be the pros, cons and pitfalls if any?

I'm curious if Robert, Hillbilly, Bushbaby or any other long timers here have taken or considerd such action?

Thanks

Gringo

Last edited:

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
I've had citizenship for two years. Now that baldy is almost gone, there doesn't seem to be any "cons" to it. The "pros" are that you can be the Dominican if you incorporate, you can vote, you can sponsor worthy individuals that want/need residency, you can freely complain about the country since you're now a part of it, you can become a "novelty" item to other Dominicans and have them wondering why you wanted citizenship, you have essentially even ground with disputes against Dominicans.
And the number one reason is that at any time, you can tell "uncle sugar" to kiss your *** and never return to your original country.
Before anyone tells me that i'm anti-american or a bunch of other worthless BS, I did my nine years military and am current on my taxes to the "mother" country.
I simply think a person should be part of their chosen destination.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm seriously thinking about it, just to have it.

You never know when it might come in handy.

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
If someone decides to "burn ships" in order to settle on the DR for life, then i don't see any reason why they should not acquire dominican nationality.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
What is the process?

What are the steps (and approximate costs) involved? E.g. do you you first need residency; how long does it take; is this 'cool' with the US goverment? If anyone has information to share, please respond. (Note: this is not meant to stymie poster's personal feelings on the matter, pro or con, I'm just primarily interested in the details of the process.)

Gringo said:
I have been living here in the DR. since 1989 and of course have a Dominican Residency......it is a pain in the a** to renew my residency every two years....I have been thinking of Dual citizenship as a Dominican and Canadian.

My question is has anyone here on Dr1 taken this step and could you tell me what might be the pros, cons and pitfalls if any?

I'm curious if Robert, Hillbilly, Bushbaby or any other long timers here have taken or considerd such action?

Thanks

Gringo