Plant seeds?

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
www.ecoislandadventures.com
My girl and I aree going to start a little garden and we want to go shopping for seeds. Does anyone know where we can go that has a large variety? Anyone in the forum who has a large knowledge of plants/seeds please PM or IM me, I have some questions about what grows well here on the island. Thxs.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Lots of places

Supermercado Nacional, Ferreter?a Bellon certainly have seeds.

What do you want to grow?

A 5'x 5' plot will feed you and three more for several monnths. If you are in Sos?a, on one side of the yard you plant a lime tree and about 12' away you plant a rulo or plantain bulb. On the other side you plant a good mango tree.

For the garden patch, two rows of corn in the back, then two rows of cabbage, then a double row of lettuce (leafy kind) and then radishes and carrots.

That will keep you busy and in a year or two you will be really happy.

If you can find one, get a "cereza" bush (acerola) for a sunny corner. Kids love them and they are good for you. Go to the local office of the Secretar?a de Agricultura for help on pesticides and fungicides and fertilizers.

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sorry

That was still a good list to have in your back yard.

Flower seeds at the same places. And larger plants can be had at any of the nurseries here in town. There is a pretty fair one across the street from the Metro station.

HB

Dwald

Jan 22, 2004
go to the nursery. Maybe you will have to check few if you want something different. I don't know the nurseries at the north coast. In Sto. Domingo they are so repetitive. There is a good one at La Romana "Anna Costa Nursery"
If you have a small garden, and there is enough sun, look after climbing shrubs. Go for strong colours, pale ones look so sad above the tropical sun (thus dominicans seems to like them).
If like them, you can try orchideas, they are so simple to grove and there are for sun and shade as well. If you have trees or palmas you can put them on the trunks.
Check the gardens in the town, if there is some beauty you don't find at nurseries ask for a "pedazo", put it in water and wait... or ask where they bought it.
good luck!