Is the Ferry Service from Mayaguez to SantoDomingo any good?

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
Since it seems The Ferry from Mayaguez to Santo Domingo seems to be like half the price of flying...does anyone know if the service offered is any good?is the service good?
and is the dock where you arrive in Santo Domingo centrally located?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
JC171 said:
Since it seems The Ferry from Mayaguez to Santo Domingo seems to be like half the price of flying...does anyone know if the service offered is any good?is the service good?
and is the dock where you arrive in Santo Domingo centrally located?

I took this in 2000, and personally, I would never do it again...but I like my comforts and conveniences. Search the archives, lots of info on this. Let's just say it cost $60 US (at the time, I have no idea what it costs now), they will try to tell you that it's against the law NOT to buy your return ticket right away (I'm glad I knew better), it's an extra $60 for the cabin to sleep in (We were there very early, all cabins were sold. You're on board during the night hours, and if you don't buy a cabin, there is nothing to do, and you're uncomfortable sleeping on chairs and tables, or on the deck if it's not raining), plus the meals and drinks are very expensive for what I thought was very sub-quality food. So all in all, if we had been able to purchase the cabin, which is imperative, we would've spent more than we did to fly there. We complained to the manager about not being able to reserve a cabin, and being amongst the first to arrive (I believe the ship left at 7:00 PM, we were there at 4:00 PM), but somehow there was no cabins, although we saw Dominicans and Puerto Ricans buying cabins long after we tried. Once again, these prices were in 2000, I don't know what they are now.

PS
They made us get on board when we bought our tickets at 4:00 PM. We were on board until 11:00 the next morning. That's 19 hours, with no place to sleep during night hours.

PPS
To end on a positive note, they did have a great merengue band on board in the lounge. That kept us busy until 2:00 AM.

Again, this was just my experience, maybe others have had better luck?

Last edited: