Gratuities at All-Inclusives

toasty

Apr 2, 2004
Hola amigos!

I'm heading to Secrets Excellence in little over a week and am getting pretty excited. I had planned on bringing a big stack of singles for tips over the course of the week, and was curious if anyone had any thoughts on what an appropriate tip would be for a waiter for a meal? Do you tip differently for buffets as opposed to a la carte? I'm trying to get a sense for how much cash I need to bring.

BTW, please answer in American dollars if possible, since that's what I'll be bringing.

Thanks

katty

Mar 14, 2003
Secrets

Secrets is an awesome AI for adults only, have been there 2 times in the last year. Tip in US dollars whatever you feel you got service for maids, bartenders, groundskeepers, al al carte, refrigertor refill people etc. etc.,you will generally see the same people waiting on you during your stay and you will have a chance to get to know them and they will remember you. Do sign up for the photos as they are worth every penny. Sign up as soon as you get there as they sell out fast afternoon is the best as the sun is not so bright. They do a wonderful job. Have fun and venture out of the AI and enjoy the DR experience. I will be back there in Jan 05.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Search on this topic

toasty said:
Hola amigos!

I'm heading to Secrets Excellence in little over a week and am getting pretty excited. I had planned on bringing a big stack of singles for tips over the course of the week, and was curious if anyone had any thoughts on what an appropriate tip would be for a waiter for a meal? Do you tip differently for buffets as opposed to a la carte? I'm trying to get a sense for how much cash I need to bring.

BTW, please answer in American dollars if possible, since that's what I'll be bringing.

Thanks

Ther's a million item thread in the last while on tipping and in AI's. Tip RD$, skip the makeup and crayons and such "gifts" , don't forget the maid. Tip RD$50 for a drink or two , RD$100 for a meal and daily for the maid IN HER HAND not on the bed .

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
My two cents...

Yes all AI's say "gratuities included"... that is the biggest bunch of crap going! Who writes those brochures - the VP's of marketing who are probably based in North America or Europe?

I have travelled to AI's all over the Caribben and this is what I think. Tip everyone! Take about $100 U.S. dollars worth of $1 and $5 dollar bills. Tip the bartenders daily. If you start going to the bar at 11:00 a.m. in the morning, give the bartender a minimun $3.00 U.S. tip first thing and you will be taken care of for the day (BUT do this every day - $3.00 for a week's worth of service just doesn't cut it). Tip your waiter at the restaurant every day. You would not go out to dinner in your own country and not tip the waiter whether it be the buffet restaurant or al la carte. I think $3.00 U.S. per day is warranted. People, what is $100 U.S. (the preferred currency) spread over the course of a week. I would tip resort workers daily because you won't always have the same waiter, maid, bartender, etc. Recognize service when it's given. For maids, I would leave $3 - $5 a day. It's peanuts and Domincans work hard for these tips and they depend on them (like I said, I have travelled to other places in the Caribbean and I have never see workers work so hard as they do in the DR), they deserve it and you will feel better for it, not to mention the preferred service you will receive.

Last edited: