Financ?e vs. Alien-Spouse Visa?

Bard

May 5, 2004
I am a U.S. citizen currently residing in the state of California. My girlfriend is a Dominican citizen currently residing in the DR. It is our intention to be married and make our residence the USA. We would like this to happen as soon as possible.
My question is the following; what would most likely be the quickest and most reliable route? The K-1 Fianc?e visa or the K-3 Alien-Spouse visa?
I know the K1 has to approved by the USCIS in California first and then the second leg is the Consular in DR. I am not as familiar with the process for the K3 and the USCIS site does not give any suggestion as to time or the complete process for that matter.
Thank you.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Easy or Not

It makes more sense to use the K1, have her come to the USA, figure out if you are compatible IN the USA then get married there(or presumably in the DR0 , but the 90 day time limit is also a good cooling-off period for soemone adapting to a strange land, actually for both of you.

I got the impression that they view spouses more suspiciously anyway, as to the legit marriage and so forth.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Have you read the Three Rules?

If not, I suggest that you go down to the Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus section of these message boards and read the Rules for dating, or marrying a Dominican.

Not that I question your good judgement, but there is a Dominican saying: "Un pelo de toto jala m?s que una yunta de bueyes" ( I do hope you can speak enough Spanish/Dominican to understand this.)

BTW, a Dominican would feel right at home in LALA land....

HB

egomezb

Feb 17, 2003
Perhaps you want to join our yahoo group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/K-1visa_DR/

There're you'll find members who have have gone through the K1 or K3 visa process.

EGB

Bard said:
I am a U.S. citizen currently residing in the state of California. My girlfriend is a Dominican citizen currently residing in the DR. It is our intention to be married and make our residence the USA. We would like this to happen as soon as possible.
My question is the following; what would most likely be the quickest and most reliable route? The K-1 Fianc?e visa or the K-3 Alien-Spouse visa?
I know the K1 has to approved by the USCIS in California first and then the second leg is the Consular in DR. I am not as familiar with the process for the K3 and the USCIS site does not give any suggestion as to time or the complete process for that matter.
Thank you.