Should I be worried about Leonel's inauguration?

rubia_gringa

May 19, 2004
Hey everyone... I lived in the DR for about 6 months in Santo Domingo, in 2003 - and I loved it...I am planning on moving back September 4th or 5th (I haven't bought the plane ticket yet), but then I was reading on one of the threads about how perhaps when Leonel takes office on the 16th or 17th of August (I cannot remember which day), people are expecting a bit of resistance from people who have Hipolito-created "jobs". I know that no one can guarantee it to be safe or unsafe, but I guess I am just wondering what peoples' thoughts are on moving into Santo Domingo about 2 weeks after this takes place. I do have friends in Santo Domingo (both Dominicans and Americans), so I wouldn't be alone. I also know about taking safety precautions, as I learned how to do so the hard way. Any opinions?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If I were you, I'd stop worrying and start planning for the move.

rubia_gringa

May 19, 2004
Thanks, Ken... That's what I figured, but I thought I'd ask around a bit so my mom doesn't get too worried :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Except for your name being backwards

I do not foresee any problems. Tu eres una "gringa rubia" no rubia gringa.

The 16th of August, the Day of Saint Rafael, is the hand-over day. By September the weeping and gnashing of teeth will be over. Hippo's crowd was so thououghly whipped that they will be trying to stay out of jail, let alone make any overt troubles. KWIM?

Just be sure you are moving for all the right reasons. Like, no man in the move?

HB

rubia_gringa

May 19, 2004
Hey Hillbilly... It may be gramatically incorrect, but that seemed to be what enough people yelled out in the street last time I was there... But who knows...